PDA

View Full Version : Gun Kota

dk17hmr
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I see it is listed on Brownell for $26 a can. I planned on doing the frame of my 1911. But I know it isnt going to take a whole can, so I think my NEF barrels and my Mossberg 500 action will get done also.

Anyone ever use this stuff?
I am talkin about the spray can that you oven bake. I dont know what color I want yet its either matte black, dark earth brown, or matte grey. Probably going to end up with matte black because black goes with everything.

Blackwater
09-06-2006, 11:15 PM
I and some friends have used it, and it's pretty good, IF you make SURE the metal is EXTREMELY clean, and that you bake it at the right temps. I doubt you can use your oven's thermostat because they're notoriously inaccurate. If you use your home oven to bake it on, be aware that it stinks BIG TIME as well, and if you do it while wifey is around, you're gonna' PAY!

Only other thing I found is that, just as the directions say, several very thin coats beat any attempt to make one or fewer thicker coats. The stuff seems to stick better, and chip off less when using several very thin coats. Be sure, just like the first coat, to be SURE the metal and finish are CLEAN, and I mean chemically clean, before baking on subsequent coats.

If it's applied well, it's a pretty darn good finish, IMO. The trick is getting it to stick, and clean metal/prior finish, a very slightly "rough" (that's SLIGHTLY) finish helps too. Then the thin coats. We must have done 50 or so gun parts, using at least two colors (OD and matte black), and most did well, with a few showing a tendency to chip off. I blame the cleaning for that, since most spots on those flaky ones held fast, and had to be sanded off.

FWIW?

danski26
09-09-2006, 01:49 AM
I ran into a probelm of too smooth the first time I tried it. I had the metal preped as if it was going to be hot blued "mirror finish". The stuff flaked off right away. I took a dremel and "roughed" it with a coarse polish brush and it work much better. Still no replacement for a robar finish but an ok alternative.