PDA

View Full Version : Care and feeding of your ultrasonic cleaner

AggieEE
08-27-2010, 06:04 PM
You went and put down your hard earned money for a ultrasonic cleaner, now what. This is meant to be in the form of FAQ's and will go from very basic to advanced so if you are ready.

What is a ultrasonic cleaner?
It is a machine that uses sound waves above the level of human hearing, 25kHz and up, to generate little vacuum bubbles in the cleaning fluid, most often soap and water, to gently clean parts.

What can I clean in one?
Almost any small parts, up to whatever will fit into the tank. If you are cleaning SWMBO's jewelry do not put her pearls, jade, turquoise or any other soft fragile stone into the cleaner. Any plated item will be OK if the plating is on tight. If it is flaking it will be removed until you reach tight plating. Watch bands should be removed from the watches or the watches held out of the solution to keep water from being forced into the watch. Yes, even the 100M rated ones could end up wet, better safe than sorry.

Should I buy a cleaning basket?
On most ultrasonic cleaners the transducers, think speakers, are on the bottom of the tank so to maintain good operation you should not place anything in direct contact with the bottom. With small parts you should use a basket, larger parts can be suppended with wires, insulated house wiring scraps, 12ga. solid or larger, work well as they can be formed to hold what you need.

How full should I fill the unit?
The ideal level for your cleaning solution would be about 1"from the top of the tank when you have the parts to be cleaned inside. The minimum level would be about 2/3rds the depth of the tank.

Can I use acid or basic solutions?
If the pH level is not more than about 2 points from netural, 5 on the acid side 9 on the basic you should be OK. If you are going to be stronger than that or you expect to use that pH level a lot you would be well advised to get some glass beakers put your parts to be cleaned into the beaker add the acid/base then float the beaker in a soap and water solution in the cleaning tank. You can make a beaker positional cover easily out of a piece of plastic and a O-ring around the beaker to keep it from touching the bottom of the tank. A company I do warranty work for will not honor the warranty on a perferated tank if it was used with very acid or basic solutions, they give a 2 year warranty on their machines and the only time they balk is when I say that I think the unit was abused.

Can I use acetone?
NO, do not use any flamable liquid. You are putting energy into the liquid which speeds the evaporation and you could end up with an explosive level of fumes. I tell clients that ask that question that it is bad for business to incenerate your customers.

When should I change my solution?
When you are done with the machine or when you see "dirt" on the bottom of the tank. If you have cleaned something that has abrasive particals in it change the solution right away as the vibrations will cause the particals to eat into your tank. This doesn't mean that if I have 3 batches of sandy brass that I should change the solution each time but rather don't use it for a week without cleaning it.

How long will it take to clean something?
Most cleaning should be done in 10 - 15 minutes. If it is taking longer than that then you have the wrong solution for the contaminate or you need to do some pre-cleaning cleaning. A ultrasonic is not very good at getting cosmoline chunks out of a barrel. It will do better on the leftover film after the chunks are gone.

Can I put my hands in a unit while it is running?
It is not a very good idea. Put about a inch of a carbinated soft drink in a beaker and just touch it to the surface of the water while the unit is running. The carbination will leave the soft drink so fast it will almost shoot out the top of the beaker. Your blood also contains disolved gases so the effect would be like getting the bends without going diving. There can be other tissue damage depending on the power of the ultrasonic.

This should give everybody a good starting point for the use of an ultrasonic cleaner. If you have any questions please ask, either on the forum or by PM.
Thanks Guys,
AggieEE

rollmyown
08-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Brilliant post, great information! Do you have any recomendations as to size (capacity), brand or power of cleaner. Are there brands to be avoided? Do you just get what you pay for or is it possible to buy a good unit for a budget price?

Thanks!

Buckshot
08-29-2010, 12:59 AM
...............Just for fun I bought the $79 one at Harbor Freight (used the 20% off coupon) and a jar of their cleaner powder (made in USA) to see what it'd do. I do have a use for it and was curious. Now with the caveate that I have nothing to compare it TO, it seems to work very well. It's the 2.5 liter one at: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=Ultrasonic+cleaner

I had a VZ24/47 my brother had given me several years back and I had the barrel replaced with a military stepped duplicate in 308. When I got it back I disassembled the bolt, and dumped it and the other action parts into the cleaner. Oh yeah, the cleaner has a heater too and it heats up pretty quick. It has a digital timer that goes in increments of 2 minutes, by seconds. EG: 120, 240, 360, and 480 with 480 being the longest. Once finished at any selected length of time all you have to do is press the start button again and it'll go again at that time period.

So with this stuff in there I hit the start button. In just a few seconds You could see a gray cloud developeing around the parts. After awhile I lifted the plastic basket out. BTW, the basket has places on the ends for handles to fit into. Mine didn't come with them, if it was supposed to have them in the first place. The box appeared factory sealed when I bought it. Regardless, it took no time to bend up a couple out of coat hanger wire.

I was very happy to see the results. As AggieEE mentioned, in a couple hidden places (back up in a corner) there remained a bit of hard petrified cosmoline that I used a scratch awl to root out. These couple bits went back into the cleaner for another 8 minutes while I looked at the other pieces. They were CLEAN! Sticky clean if you know what I mean? I'm pretty sure if I hadn't oiled them, by the next day they would have rusted.

The solution was murky with suspended oil & grease and on the bottom of the tank was a quantity of Yugoslavian dirt. So with what I saw, and what it did it appears to me that if you might need an ultrasonic cleaner on occasion then I can give this one good marks. I've only used it 4-5 times and I guess I've had it maybe 2 years so since I haven't used it a whole lot I can't comment about it's durability.

..............Buckshot

AggieEE
08-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Curious, I tried to post a reply and it kicked me off. So let's try this again.

I forgot to say not to put aluminum into a ultrasonic there is a risk of etching. If the anodizing is on good and thick it's not a problem. I know people who clean AR uppers and lowers without a problem but I work too hard for my money to take an unnecessary risk.

As to size, 3 qt. is a nice size, tank is about 9'x5"x4" deep, which will clean about 200 9mm at a time. In general take the biggest object you want to clean and it needs to fit into the tank with at least 1/2" all around. Heat works good with grease based polishing compounds and heavy grease lubes. You do not have to have the heat on to use the ultrasonic.

As to brands, I'm trying to be careful here as I don't want the Mod to jerk my leash about running ads. The Chinese units, some are good and some not don't ask about brand names as they change with the phase of the moon. American companies such as L&R, Crest, HealthSonics, Branson, SonixIV and some others that I forgot. All are good from a user stand point. I have options as to which I like better but it is probably based on who I can get repair parts from. The company that I do warranty work for is a German company called Elma. BTW we don't sell new units as it gets the retailers upset with us and then they don't send their repairs to us.
I hope this has helped.
AggieEE

scrapcan
08-31-2010, 12:16 AM
AggieEE,

Thanks for the info. What year and college are you from A&M. My wife is an aggie also.

AggieEE
08-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Manleyjt, I got out ( sounds like I was in prison doesn't it?) in '77. If you've ever been throught any of the engineering programs up there you really can't wait to get out( GRIN). I was in the Electrical Engineering program. I'm sure your wife can tell all kinds of stories about what campus life was like at A&M.
AggieEE

AggieEE
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Buckshot;
I re-read your comments about your experiance with one of the cheapo chinese ultrasonics and it matches mine. You are right if you didn't oil the steel you would have had rust overnight if not before. Here is something to think about. Almost all US made ultrasonics use food service steam table pans as their tanks. Take a pan that matches the dimensions of your unit, adjust the level of the soapy water in your main tank to where you can place the secondary tank into the main tank without causing the water to overflow. It's a trial and error process but the results will be worth it. Now that you have a second tank in good contact with the waterput a good gun oil into the second tank. Break Free works well but you will have to replace the solvent/carrier as it will evaperate out, use a fan and lots of fresh air. Clean, rinse and blow dry your parts, they are now about as clean as they will ever get. Place the parts into the oiling tank and run the ultrasonic for about 5 to 10 minutes. This will such as much air as possiable out of the pores of the metal and replace it with oil. Remove the parts and drain well wipe down and they are ready to go back together. This should help if you are going to put something into long term storage. BTW think of the chinese units as disposable use them till they break then get another one. My labor cost is higher than the smaller units sell for.
AggieEE

scrapcan
08-31-2010, 06:32 PM
AggieEE,

My wife is 83 animal science. She has nothing but praise for the education she recieved. she did say compared to the other colleges she has completed degrees at that there is no comparison to the dedication of the professors and the exeptations of the students by them.

She might have been born in Wyoming and rside here now, but she is by all rightsa texan and first and foremost an Aggie.

Take care and enjoy the beauty of San Antonio.