PDA

View Full Version : Check Seating Technique

jcork
09-05-2006, 07:31 PM
I have thrown a few bullets with my new-and-improved 432-285RF 'Ranch Dog' mold, and got a few keepers. What I haven't got, is any talent at installing gas checks. I tried annealing the checks (350 in the oven then a slow cool there) with little improvement.

Is there a 'good thing' folks have found to use as an expander to open the checks up a bit before the Lee .432 sizing die?

KYCaster
09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
jcork: You're not hot enough by a long way. Heat them with a propane torch till they're red then let them cool.

Jerry

NVcurmudgeon
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
jcork, I have homemade punches for expanding GC after annealing. A piece of steel of 7/16" diameter would be a good start, maybe a bolt with a slight taper filed on the end. After I get the punch stuck in the GC I then hold it inside a large paper grocery bag and scrape it off with a small screwdriver. The bag prevents hunting the GC all over the shop.

dragonrider
09-06-2006, 08:38 AM
find a ball bearing that will sit in the check but not touch the bottom, give a tap with a hammer and that should open it up.

Slowpoke
09-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I have thrown a few bullets with my new-and-improved 432-285RF 'Ranch Dog' mold, and got a few keepers. What I haven't got, is any talent at installing gas checks. I tried annealing the checks (350 in the oven then a slow cool there) with little improvement.

Is there a 'good thing' folks have found to use as an expander to open the checks up a bit before the Lee .432 sizing die?

If you want to quit fooling around and get on with loading quality ammo in a timely manner.

Drop Buckshot a PM and ask him to make you a press mounted gas check expander !

Good luck