PDA

View Full Version : POI? scoped 44 RSBH

44fanatic
08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Been meaning to ask this for the past couple of days but it has kept slipping my mind.

This year I plan to hunt with a scoped RSBH hunter (44 mag of course). I have been seeing that many of you have mentioned a POI change when going from bench supported to no rest. I have always been under the impression that with a scope there will be no POI change as the scope is aligned to the gun and not the shooter. Am I right or wrong?

44fanatic
08-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Forgot to add. For hunting I will be either in a tree stand with shooting rail or sitting on the ground and intend to use my knee to support my forearm.

mike in co
08-27-2010, 09:32 AM
yes recoil affects the point of impact, so changing supprt does also. once the gun is sighted in on the bench, try to duplicate for hunting position and check the poi.

HeavyMetal
08-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I'll second Mike's suggestion and add that you need to shoot the RSBH from a number of different positions to checkboth POI and drop.

If you haven't practised shooting down from a tree stand do so. The angle, scoped or not, can also move POI or at least thats my excuse!

bgokk
08-27-2010, 09:38 AM

The difference in POI from bench resting to how you shoot normally, is not the relationship of sights to gun. It is the difference between the recoil from a bench rest position and your normal shooting.

Short verison is if you have the same recoil effect from your bench position and your hunting position then there will be no change from one to the other.

"Forgot to add. For hunting I will be either in a tree stand with shooting rail or sitting on the ground and intend to use my knee to support my forearm."

If this is how you sight in from the bench then there should be little or no difference.

BG

Heavy Metal is right on with his statement: "If you haven't practised shooting down from a tree stand do so. The angle, scoped or not, can also move POI or at least thats my excuse!"

44fanatic
08-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info. Didnt get much of a chance yesterday to do allot of shooting with the RSBH. Spent a good portion of the day coaching a younger shooter. Did get the chance to put a few rounds on paper and get the RSBH close to zero from a sitting position using my knee as a rest. Plus I didnt use the rounds I normally use, reasoning here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91882

Next time i go to the range, will get the RSBH sighted from the bench, and then check POIs from standing and sitting (using knee's as forearm rest).

Funny thing was, I had read on here several times about the POI changing with handguns with and without rest, just couldnt remember the reasoning at the time of the OP. Now I got it and time to work on it.