PDA

View Full Version : Yugo MD 24/47

mag_01
09-05-2006, 06:36 PM
:coffee: ---Just ordered a Yugo MD 24/47 Mauser (8MM) with Bayonet from SOG and a case of 8MM ammo non corrosive----It seems like people on here that have them like Em so I'm anxious to get it ---should be here by Friday---I do like the Turkish Mauser that I purchased from SOG and it goes to the range with me every time I go----nice caliber and it whacks the steel plate out at 180 yards. with authority I shoot off hand open sites---lots of fun----Mag_01----:castmine:

waksupi
09-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Mag, just because they say it is non-corrosive, take it with a grain of salt. Keep an eye on your bore. Some non-corrosive, is.

Shepherd2
09-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I got the SOG September flyer in the mail today. I see that they have 2 listings for "non-corrosive" 8mm ammo. Yugo belted and Romanian. I've bought the Romanian from AIM on 2 occasions and both times it was advertised as corrosive. Whatever you bought I'd treat it as corrosive until you are positive that it is not. It will only add a minute or 2 to the cleaning process to treat it as corrosive ammo.

I've got a 24/47 that has impressed me from the first shot. Hope yours shoots as good.

mag_01
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys will treat it as corrosive---soap and water first---thx again ---Mag_01

Buckshot
09-06-2006, 02:32 AM
............Take a bright nail and drive it through a board. Dis-load :-) one of the milsurp rounds, set it over the nail and fire the primer. Set the board outside and check it in the AM. If the ammo is corrosive, you'll know without a doubt!

..............Buckshot

mag_01
09-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Good Idea Buckshot I know only the primer is corosive in corosive ammo----good way to test it---will give it a try thanks ---Mag_01

Ricochet
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
The Yugo and Romanian are both definitely corrosive. Corrosive ammo's no problem, though, you've just got to promptly and thoroughly clean it with a water-containing fluid.

Linstrum may tell us sometime about his lovely M24/47 with an unfired appearing bore that was ruined by "noncorrosive" Hirtenberger ammo from Samco. Actually the bore just went from mirrorlike to frosted after he got the orange rust out.

It's hard to get too many cheap Mausers. I just finally went on and ordered a '93 Turk from Tapco, having heard that they're down below their last 100 now. That's one I don't yet have.

db2
09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I really enjoy my 24/47. I bought mine back in April from Aim. The wood is excellent, the blueing is 85%-90%. It does have some pits in the bore. I have seen worst my M48 looks like a sewer pipe. With 70's Yugo ammo I can hit a paper plate at 100 yrds all day long. With open sights and a loose nut behind the trigger, that is not bad in my book.:)

BTW 50's Yugo is corrosive, and so is 70's Yugo.

gzig5
09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
I just picked up my second 24/47 from Dunham's ( like Big 5) on sale $125 out the door. I had to get the second one, because I would have felt bad tuning the first one into a sporter. It's metal is 98% and a real nice stock, all numbers matching. Perfect bore and crown. Not a spot of rust below the wood. I am convinced it was only proofed after rebuild. The second one has nearly as nice metal and bore but the stock is more beat up. I am thinking .358Win or 35x284 with a 20" barrel in a Mannlicher stock. I should have it ready in time for my son's fourteenth birthday the way my projects go. (He is five weeks old)

I don't have a lot of experience with surplus mausers, but appreciate being able to look before buying rather than order one in. I gladly pay the little bit extra. by the way, these are from Century and are in better shape than any of the Mitchell's Mausers.