PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Spoon

WickedGoodOutdoors
08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
have come across a few hundred Stainless Steel Spoon blanks that would make super Striped Bass or Lake Trout/Salmon lures.
problem is this metal is hard as a rock and I dont have the machine tools to drill holes in it to attach a swivel & hook.

I guess I need to get Carbide Drill Bits

Saco, Maine

WickedGoodOUtdoors@Maine.rr.com

scrapcan
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM
maybe this thread form else where on the web will help you out.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=31958

here is another one

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/22046/Looking-for-a-Drill-Bit-to-Drill-Stainless-Steel

seems that slow the bit with good pressure and good lubrication is the key. Unless you can punch the holes.

theperfessor
08-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Slower speeds, good lube, and a sharp bit will get you through most stainless. But once you start drilling keep positive pressure on the bit, a lot of grades of stainless will work harden from contact pressure, you have to keep drilling under the hardened surface layer. Sharp tools will minimize pressure and work hardening. Once a tool gets dull or chips an edge get it out of there and sharpen or replace it.

deltaenterprizes
08-26-2010, 11:26 PM
What size hole? A new carbide masonry bit will work wonders.

waksupi
08-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I make pike spoons all the time from stainless. Never had a big problem drilling them. Try toothpaste for drill lubrication.

akajun
08-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Plasma cutter, you dont need a big one for sheet metal that size.

scrapcan
08-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Waksupi,

I had heard that one can use toothpaste as it stays put and the liquid and bentonite make a good lube. I have also heard that one can use a paste made of powdered milk. I have not tried either method, just slow speed, even pressure, and good cutting oil.

theperfessor
08-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I use a cutting fluid called Mike-O-Cut. It is thick and stays in place on a drill tip or tap. A couple drops where you plan to drill a small hole and you're golden. Is does get a little gummy so you'll have to clean it off afterward, I just dunk parts and tools in my wash tank.

My local tool vendor is always giving me little sample bottles of cutting fluid and this is the best I've found so far, but there may be better ones out there I haven't tried yet.

dominicfortune00
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
You could try a cobalt bit with oil.

IIRC, you should be able to get cobalt bits at Sears.

zuke
04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Post a pic for us all to see.