PDA

View Full Version : need some help

nail
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I am new to casting and I am having a hard time finding starting loads for different powders in any of my manuals, They are all for low velocity loads.
I am trying to get around 2100fps with a 210 gr gas check bullet for my 444 marlin, I am not asking anybody to stick there neck out and give me a load, I just want to know where I can find some data, can I use jacketed bullet data for cast to get me a starting point. Thanks Steve!!

44man
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
That should be no problem at all but it is an awful light boolit and info is hard to find. My books only start at 225 gr but Hodgdon starts with a 200 gr bullet.
The starting loads for theses should be OK. 4198 might be best.

stubert
08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
You can use jacketed info, lead bullets have less friction, therefore less pressure, however jacketed loads may be faster than the lead bullet can handle.

44man
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
You can use jacketed info, lead bullets have less friction, therefore less pressure, however jacketed loads may be faster than the lead bullet can handle.
True, they have to be pretty hard but the slower powders will give an easier start. Be fun working up and see what happens at each step.

MGySgt
08-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Excuse me but I have always heard/read the oposite.

Lead take less powder to reach the same velocity - because it has a better gas seal and it has a lubercant that the jacketed doesn't (hence more friction with the jacketed) aand more pressure when all other things are equal. boolit weight, seatring depth and podwer weight.

Check a few different manuals that list both cast boolits and the J ones and you will see that boolits with the same weight (or close (250 and 255) the lead will be faster with less powder.

For the 444 - Check out the Lyman manuals and the Hodgen site for starting loads for the weight and work up SLOWLY.

When you start interporlating you can get on very dangerous grounds. A number of us on this board use the MECO product - Quick Load to have a good starting and ending point.

Justr my 2 cents worth.

Cowboy T
08-26-2010, 08:11 PM
You can start with data for the next heaviest bullet up. I did that when developing loads for .38 Spl with a 105gr boolit. There was no data for 105 grainers, but there was for 120, so I started there.

44man
08-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Excuse me but I have always heard/read the oposite.

Lead take less powder to reach the same velocity - because it has a better gas seal and it has a lubercant that the jacketed doesn't (hence more friction with the jacketed) aand more pressure when all other things are equal. boolit weight, seatring depth and podwer weight.

Check a few different manuals that list both cast boolits and the J ones and you will see that boolits with the same weight (or close (250 and 255) the lead will be faster with less powder.

For the 444 - Check out the Lyman manuals and the Hodgen site for starting loads for the weight and work up SLOWLY.

When you start interporlating you can get on very dangerous grounds. A number of us on this board use the MECO product - Quick Load to have a good starting and ending point.

Justr my 2 cents worth.
This is true that it takes less powder but in most cases you can load much higher with lead then you can with bullets without pressure increasing.
One should ALWAYS work up with any boolit regardless. Each and every boolit can act different. I have one GC boolit for my .475 that maxes out with a certain charge and will start to stick brass so I had to back down. Another PB of the same weight and appearance will take 1-1/2 gr more powder without pressure signs. Both seat the same depth in the brass.
You also do not want to exceed the pressures that the alloy can take.
This is why I suggest starting loads to start with, many powders are either dangerous or will not work if downloaded below that. Even 4759 will fail to ignite if not enough powder is used.

missionary5155
08-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Good morning
I have found it helpful to call the manufacturer of whatever powder and talk to a tech person.
So far they have been helpful with interesting projects. My last hard to get data project was a 414 Dan Wesson Supermag with a 265 grains GC.