PDA

View Full Version : I'm switching to Black Powder for 45-70 and 44-40

Just Duke
08-26-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm switching to Black Powder for 45-70, 38-55 and 44-40.
I can get good velocities with more of a push than a jolt. The 44-40 will have much better velocity. I got all the stuff so far.
I should not have to be concerned about heat affecting the powder either.

SharpsShooter
08-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the dark side...you'll never go back :D

SS

Butler Ford
08-26-2010, 09:21 PM
1. Ballistol
2. Good Bye to leading
3. It doesn't take Swiss to get good performance.
4. :bigsmyl2:

Four Fingers of Death
08-28-2010, 12:56 AM
I'll second the Ballistol, great stuff and it doesn't matter if you don't get it all on the cleanup, it is a lubricant. Mixed 7-1 or 10-1 in a pump spray bottle (I believe that you guys call them a spritzer). Spray liberally around and use a bore snake. BP doesn't seem to lead like smokeless.

I have several bore snakes and when I get home and am finaished with them, throw them in a bucket with some liquid laundry soap and hot water and swirl them about, rinse and hang up ready for next time.

With black, remember one word, "LUBE!!!!" :D

Its a bit of a pain at times, but it sure is fun!

Dale53
08-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Duke;
I have shot a .45 Colt revolver (Ruger Vaquero) and several single shot black powder rifles extensively.

If the rules do not prohibit it, I really like Duplex loads (10% by weight of RL-7 smokeless over the primer for the rifles). I have not needed to use duplex loads in the revolver. I use the Lyman 452664 bullet and Emmert's Home Mix lube. I can shoot my revolver about 70 times before the cylinder binds up (this seems to be revolver specific). Then, a five minute clean up with a good black powder solvent and I am ready to go, again.

When shooting the single shot rifle at up to and including 600 yards, when using straight black I originally used a blow tube. I have progressed to wiping. I use Glenn Fewless' method of soaking clean patches in 10/1 Water/water soluble oil (NAPA brand) then pressing stacks of patches between two boards in a vise until most of the mixture is expelled. I keep the DAMP (not wet) patches in a "Tucks" (butt wipes) low profile jar to keep them from drying out.

One shot, one wipe. Just push the wipe through and let it fall off the rod. You do NOT need to dry patch the bore. It is actually easier on you than trying to use a blow tube when it is 95 degrees in the shade. The bore condition is consistent as is the accuracy. You can literally shoot all day without issue regardless of the humidity (or lack, thereof). Many of the long range shooters (800, 900, and 1000 yards) use this method.

The lube you use on your bullets is critical. I use, in both the rifles and revolvers, Emmert's home mix. My alloy bullets are cast of 30/1 lead/tin.

This is a very successful way to do it. It is not the only way, but it IS a very good way.

Dale53

Four Fingers of Death
08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
"I should not have to be concerned about heat affecting the powder either"

Watch those primers though if Barbies around, getting hot and bothered can negatively affect the primers, not to mention massive distraction induced by her weapons of mass distraction disrupting the reloading process. :D

Just about to go to the range with my 45/70 H&R Trapdoor Little Big Horn Replica. I can't find the new shellholder, so I will take the 310 Tong Tool to the range and do it that way.

Grapeshot
08-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Both Dick Dastardly and Lyman put out a a similar .45 Colt Bullet. DD's has a six cavity "Big Lube" Pigeon Roost Slim design that has a large, deep cavity that holds a LOT of BP Lube. Cast 20 to one lead tin it carries enough lube to be able to shhot an entire CAS match without the fouling gumming up MY SAA clone.

The Lyman is not as deep but you can stick enough to go at least three stages without cleaning the cylinder face or wiping down the cylinder pin or barrel.

I like the .45-300 for my .45-60 as it shoots better than the heavier bullets.

Wayne Smith
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Dick has a Big Lube 44 cal too, I've got one. Wonderful in the 44-40 with 40gr Goex compressed. Gets lots of attention at the range in my Uberti Cattlemen and Uberti '73 Short Rifle. Need to put a reciever sight on the short rifle.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Duke!

w30wcf
08-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Duke,
Of the three cartridges you mentioned, I have experience with the .44-40 in a repeating rifle. My main goal is accuracy and how many b.p. cartridges can I fire in a row and still maintain very good accuracy without cleaning.

I have tried several different bullets in combination with 3 different types of black powder. Lube used was SPG.

The most accurate bullet overall was Lymans 427098 (10 shots -1 1/2" groups @ 50 yds / 2 1/2" - 3" groups @ 100)
Swiss FFG gave the finest accuracy in 36 gr. charges. It also gave the highest number of repeated shots accurately (30+).
Goex, Schuetzen and Elephant in the same charge weight would group the 1st 10 shots aok but after that accuracy went downhill as a hard ring of fouling began to develop at the muzzle.

The MAV Big Lube typically shot groups a bit more than twice the size of the 427098 for the first 10shots (10 shots - 3"- 3 1/2") @ 50 yards), but would continue to group ok for a number of shots thereafter due to its larger lube capacity (1.5 grs vs 1.0 gr).

Have fun,
w30wcf

thx997303
08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I have to ask.

Was the purpose of this thread, to get a cookie?

No questions, nothing.

Just, hey I am switching to black powder.

Four Fingers of Death
08-31-2010, 11:58 PM
A lot of know Duke and we are always interested in what his up to, specially when he's going over to the darkside!