PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #55 Measure Installation in Stand

Stevejet
08-26-2010, 12:49 AM
I bought a Redding powder measure Stand, which is like the Lee & RCBS Stands in that it has an unthreaded tapered hole thru which the Powder Measure Drop Tube extends and then the knurled nut is installed and tightened until the #55 Lyman Powder Measure (circa 1972) is secured in place. The unthreaded stand hole measures approx. 0.780" at the top and 0.720" at the bottom while the powder measure threaded drop tubes measure 0.602" thread diameter. This arrangement makes for a sloppy and shakey assembly at best.

I can place a nylon washer between the stand and powder measure cast body drop tube openning to create a more stable mating surface and wrap some red rubber self-adhesive tape around the drop tube body to act as a flexible compression shim within the stand hole. But am I missing some type of adapter, like a tapered plug to fit the stand hole with internal threading to accept the threaded drop tube? Is this loose interrface and installation normal? It's certainly not accetable!

Pictures of #55 Lyman measures in stands do not provide any real detail except for the knurled nut installed on the drop tube and cinched up against the stand. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mk42gunner
08-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't have a lyman #55, but I think they are threaded 5/8-18 so they would fit in the older Lyman turret presses. There used to be thread adapters available from Lyman, but you should be able to do the same thing with a homemade bushing, since you have a nut to tighten it with; all you really need to do is take up the slack, so the measure doesn't wobble around.

Robert

nicholst55
08-26-2010, 02:01 AM
You need the 7/8"X14 Adapter (http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page87.html), for $7.95; they're available for less money from places like Midway.

Stevejet
08-26-2010, 03:38 AM
The 7/8" X 14 adapter is threaded for mounting the Powder Measure into a press for dispensing powder into cases thru "flow thru" dies. It isn't for securing the measure into the stand. As I mentioned, the stand hole is smooth and tapered. Also, the adapter was not a detail of my #55 when purchased back in 1972 but is now included as a detail according to my Lyman Products Use Catalog. Still, it's of no use in facilitating attachment of the measure to the stand. THIS IS REALLY ODD!

Maybe I should call Lyman (?).

Thanks for your responses!

Kevin Rohrer
08-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Here is a picture of of the adapter. My #55 came with it.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0280.jpg

A picture of it screwed into the stand.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0282.jpg

And the #55 mounted on it.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0283.jpg

And, Voila!

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0247.jpg

scrapcan
08-26-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100%3Abench-stand

The above link is to the redding bench stand. it is similar to the lyman, but the mount is not threaded and it is too long to put the lyman adapter thru and get a lock ring on it.

You may not have an option other than to use a custom made adapter. You may want to give the 310 shop a shout to see if he can thread a longer adapter for you.

AZ-Stew
08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
You might even e-mail Redding to see if they have the proper adaptor.

Regards,

Stew

Stevejet
08-26-2010, 10:29 PM
manleyjt - Firstly, thanks for the advice concerning the length problem with the Lyman Adapter vs. the Redding stand thickness. I certainly don't need another "issue" to brighten my day! However, what exactly is the "310 Shop"?

Kevin - Many thanks for the photo's of your powder measure vs. stand "lash up". They are very instructive in regards to my assumptions that the stands of all the major manufacturors need to have threaded mount holes. Your photo's also served to confirm that I am presently royally screwed without a threaded stand. I notice you have two (2) Lyman 90 degree threaded stands which you boldly flaunt, and who could blame you?. I assume those were obtained some time ago (?) as they do not appear in the current Lyman catalog.

nicholst55 and A-Z Stew - I appreciate the heads up on the Adapter lead at Midway, and a call/e-mail to Redding may be the simple cure....who'd a thunk it?

Thanks for your responses Gent's and please accept my best regards!

I need a new hobby!

scrapcan
08-27-2010, 10:45 AM
stevejet,

The 310 shop is a seller of ideal lyman 310 and tru jr dies, parts, sets, etc. he custom makes some dies for these items. The drop tubes for the lyman 55 use the same odd ball thread as the 310 dies. I mention the 310 shop as he has the ability to cut hte oddball thread.

Here is a link
http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

You might also see if someone will turn you a new drop tube that has the extension to mount the measure and has an extension the can be threaded 7/8x14 and then a short section of drop tube below the mount.

One can use whatever metal one has to make this. If I get a chance I could see if I can hash one up. If you have a friend or machinist that is local have them make it for you. You will need a lock ring at top and bottom or a flange on to pand a lock ring on bottom.

scrapcan
08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
One of use should measure the length of the lyman adapter for Stevejet so he knows if one will work for him. He may be able to tak ethe lock ring off and put adapter in the stand and put lock ring on bottom.

Measurements would help, I am at work so cannot help on that front.

Kevin Rohrer
08-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Kevin - Many thanks for the photo's of your powder measure vs. stand "lash up". They are very instructive in regards to my assumptions that the stands of all the major manufacturors need to have threaded mount holes. Your photo's also served to confirm that I am presently royally screwed without a threaded stand. I notice you have two (2) Lyman 90 degree threaded stands which you boldly flaunt, and who could blame you?. I assume those were obtained some time ago (?) as they do not appear in the current Lyman catalog.

The RCBS stand is also threaded if you can find one.

As to the Lyman stand, the #55 came with it when I bought it a few months ago, and I got a second stand from wherever I bought the #55 (either MidwayUSA or MidSouth). I did a search and bought the lowest priced #55 (the price seems to vary to a great deal). One of the stands came orange and I painted it Rustoeum Hammered Black.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

woody1
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Stevejet,
I know you don't want to hear this, but was it me, I'd send the Redding stand back as it's incompatable with your Lyman 55. I don't care what Redding says about their stand, it's not what I'd use. Get a Lyman (or other threaded) stand and adapter and be happy. Regards, Woody

Stevejet
08-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Well Gents, I had more success today with internet searching and confined it to only Lyman. Several outfit stores and Lyman list 90 degree stands, as depicted in Kevins photo's, and most had statements indicating the stand holes were "threaded" (7/8"X14) to accept the Lyman Adapter. Still, there are Lyman stands that are NOT threaded (?) so I assume that all the stands from RCBS, Lyman and Redding that are smooth and not threaded are left that way to accomodate certain powder measures other than the Lyman #55. Also, the Lyman stands are finished in a silver gray, like Kevin's, or the Lyman orange.

Anyway, I left a message on Lyman's e-mail help form and questioned them about the certain availibility of a stand with threaded hole and an adapter for the drop tubes, if you even use the the tubes with the adapter installed.

As for this Redding anchor, I just may "pay it forward" to some industrious soul who needs an evening garage project. Woody, I bought the new Redding off a bargain table at Nagle's Gun Shop in San Antonio, TX. so there's no return in its future. And, I'm not going to keep it around as a reminder as to how stupid or foolish I am still capable of being! I'll post a follow-up in regards to Lyman's response to my e-mail inquiries.

manleyjt - Thanks for the link and explaination of the 310 Shop and its function. By the way, the Redding cast arm measures 1.103" thickness for anyone curious as to wether the Lyman Adapter is deep enough (?).

Kevin - Again, the photo's were of tremendous help, inspite of churning up my natural jealousy.

I'm appreciative of the good and timely responses gent's and I'll be glad to "mail pitch" the Redding #6 to anyone who cares to provide an address. Thanks a ton!

woody1
08-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Whoa there Stevejet, I can think of ways to make that thing work if yer willing to cobble a bit to use the clamp feature of the Lyman 55.

BTW, I figured you prob'ly bought the thing because "it was a good buy" at the time. I guess I could send you an address if you've still got it and aren't going to use it. Let me know. Regards, Woody

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/powder-measure-stand.php

Here's a link (if it works) to the Lyman Stand you need. I assume your 55 came with the threaded drop tube(s). You'll also need the thread adapter to adapt the drop tube to the 7/8x14 threads in the stand. I think the 55 is supposed to come with a thread adapter. Bought used they often don't. If you need one, heck I'll send you one.
Woody

GP100man
08-28-2010, 03:14 PM
D&T a couple of screw holes & use brass screws to jam it all tite !

Not a good side pic , but I welded 1 up from a 7/8x14 nut & a bit of scrape !

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Herters-1.jpg

Stevejet
08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
woody1 - The link you sent is the one I discovered this past Friday night and I am awaiting a reply from Lyman Customer Service to confirm the fact of the stand having "threads" as per the description. Also, the #55 measure I purchased in 1972 did not come with an Adapter as a bench mounted stand was not in existence at that time. So, let's make an exchange here....I'll send the new Redding stand to you in exchange for an Adapter. After all, it's the civilized and professional thing to do between a couple of deadly "lead slingers"!

Send a mailing address to me at .....staplesp2003@yahoo.com....and I'll rid my self of and enhance your life with this useless cast iron anchor!

GP100man - I have to admit I admire your fabrication talents. My last go-around with an oxygen-acetaline torch was 40 years ago in FAA A&P License school. As I recall, the mantra was...."puddle, rod....puddle, rod....puddle, puddle, puddle, pud....Oh ****!" And THAT, sir, is why I BUY stuff! Thanks for your time, response and photo, they are appreciated.

Pressman
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM
GP100man, I like the Herter's 65 and MS4 scale you are still using. Good tools never seem to wear out.
Ken

Stevejet
08-31-2010, 07:54 PM
To finish up this thread (?), I received an e-mail response from Lyman regarding why stand manufacturers produce unthreaded powder measure stands. Lyman states that their unthreaded stands are made this way to accomodate other powder measures that use two (2) locknuts, above & below the stand, to secure those measure assemblys. They also stated that the "Adapter" was Lyman's approach to mounting their measure. I submitted my question late Friday night and had a return e-mail answer from Lyman by noon Kalifornia time.

In the meanwhile, woody1 and I have been overburdening the U.S. snail mail system by exchanging my Redding paperweight/anchor for his extra threaded adapter. An even and fortuious exchange which should help repair what remains of my mental health.

Many thanks to all for your great reponses and in helping me move up a square!