PDA

View Full Version : Need a Shiloh review

BSkerj
08-25-2010, 11:35 PM
I have grown to really respect the 45/70 round. Currently I have a 1895 lever which I love but am looking into buying a 1874 #2 Creedmoor Silouette from the Big Timber Mt. factory. Currently they are going for 2700.00 which is pretty pricey for my income but with a 20 month wait for production I should be able to save up for it. The company asks for a 250.00 good faith deposit. My question is, what are the pros and cons of this rifle. I will use it for target and would like to take a elk or two with it. Will it hold its value down the road for my grandchildren ? I am planning on touring the factory in 2 weeks to put down a down payment so opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Don McDowell
08-26-2010, 12:13 AM
When you get there , ask if they have a roughrider you could look at. I prefer that model over the others I've handled and shot. I have one with a heavy barrel in 44-77 on order.
The 45-70 is a good cartridge to take you thru what ever you might want to do with a bpcr type rifle. Hunting to 1000 yd target it'll geter done just like it always has.
Take a spin thru the gun auction sites, very seldom will a Shiloh of any type bring less than the original price, and in a good many examples the final price will be over the original price.

NickSS
08-26-2010, 04:45 AM
I have a Shiloh No1 sporting rifle and it is one of my favorite rifles. I bought it in 1994 at that time it cost me $700. Today it is around three times as much. I prefer the shotgun butt plate and higher comb of the number 1. I also have one of their long range express rifles in 45-70 and it is my long range bulls eye rifle.

Cimarron Red
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
BSKerj,

For me the only downside with the Creedmoor #2 is that it's offered with only a single trigger. I'd like a double set.

montana_charlie
08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
they are going for 2700.00 which is pretty pricey for my income
That's $2700 before you start adding options. While you are enjoying your tour, tell Kirk you plan to use the rifle in environments where it might get wet.
He will probably recommend that you take the forearm bedding option...to prevent damage to the wood.
CM

SamTexas49
08-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Bought my Shiloh 45/70 Saddle Rifle back 1985. Lived in Montana and drove down to Big timber one weekend. Was wanting the Saddle (26" barrel) because Id be riding in on Horseback to the Bear Trap and Cowboy Heaven areas. Those long barrel sharps tend to get stuck on trees when in the saddle. Now you ready for the shocker! I paid only $725 for mine, walked in right behind a gent whol just declined this rifle because it wasnt fancy enough!!

Are they worth the wait? Well only you can decide. Im glad Ive got mine! Shoots great. I never had chance on the Wapiti but did have the opportunity to drop a Pronghorn up near the Marias, 75 yd, off hand and on the run! Swung from butt to nose and squeezed it off, ddropped and rolled right there!

Freightman
08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
After the shock wears off I would not trade mine! After you pay the good faith money then you can budget the rest over the wait period.

KCSO
08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Well we just got done wringing out my buddy's new Shiloh Sharps. He was up to Quigley, walked in and bought the only one they had on hand, a 45-70 target gun. There isn't much to say the rifle is perfect in every detail and shoots like a dream. 10 Shots into 1 1/2" at 100 yards with black powder. If I needed one I wouldn't hesitate a second.

longhorn
08-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Cons? With a Shiloh? Well, they aren't cheap--can't think of another fault; I only waited 14 months for mine.

ohnomrbillk
08-30-2010, 03:06 PM
The finest rifle I have ever held was a Shiloh. It is on my short list.

Patman
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
My Shiloh is my most favorite rifle in the safe. It's hard to get much shootin done with it though... as every time I take it to the range, it draws a crowd . I never have had buyers remorse. (Except that it is 45-120)

Jon K
09-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Shiloh is the "GO TO" rifle in my safe.

#1,#2,#3,Rough Rider, Saddle......... whichever, is like Ford or Chevy............it's personal taste. #1 & Saddle Rifle here, and maybe the next will be an 1863 Sporter.

Jon:-D

8mm
09-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Mine is a Shiloh Business Rifle with DST. Bought it about 15+ years ago for $500. It is a masterpiece of American workmanship. Just plain oil finished Walnut, satin blue bbl. and very nice color case frame and buttplate. Nothing fancy.....just subdued elegance.

My only complaint is that it shoots high with the issue sights even at it's lowest settings. A higher front sight would be the solution. But with several other 45-70's to shoot this is not an important issue. My enjoyment is in owning and appreciating an example of the best that there is.

Gussy
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Your question about value. If you take care of it, they go up in value. I've seen very nice Shilohs go for current price (minus the taxes). After a few years, they are going to be worth more than you paid. One I bought new 6 yrs ago is worth $500.00 more than I paid for it.

I've had the same luck with Brownings. I've only sold a couple, but have never lost a penny but made a few and those I still have are worth a lot more than I paid.
Gus

NickSS
09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
If you want the very best 1874 Sharps buy a Shiloh. Not only will you have a great rifle but it will go up in value through the years and what shooter does not like people who oh and ah over their guns I know I do. If you do not like the wait for a Shiloh get one From C Sharps they are as good as the Shiloh and can be had for a lot shorter wait.

DanWalker
09-11-2010, 05:50 AM
My buddy has one in 45-110. He brought it down a couple weeks ago and we took it out and shoot the heck out of it. It is one HELL of a gun. Pure artwork, done in walnut and steel.
It shoots as good as it looks too.

Marine Sgt 2111
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I bought my first Shilo in 1982, a long range express. I cost me I believe $810 out the door and Wolfgang Droege (sp) took the time on the phone to suggest the barrel weight and select the wood for me (I was a young Cpl in the Marine Corps). The second Shilo I bought was from a Dr. White (of White muzzle loading rifle fame) and it's a saddle ring carbine. Both are in .45-70 and shoot like a house a fire.
In 1983 I took the long range express out to the rifle range at 29 Palms CA during a practice day for a weekend long range shoot. I got all kinds of laughs and hoots and hollars about "that big old rifle shooting cast lead bullets" 600 yds. The first shot was an "8" on the deadly decimal target, I made a sight change and shot 2 "9"s. A hush fell across the line. I took that same rifle and shot close to a mile away at a 3 foot boulder and painted it silver with Lyman 457125 WW alloy boolits. I can't say enough good things about Shilo's.

Kenny Wasserburger
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I own 5 of em.

Nuff Said.

The Lunger
KW

longranger
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM
My last Shiloh was a # 3 no options half round 32" 40-70 SS, It was under $2000.00 delivered. This I believe is a more unusual configuration of "typical Shilohs" with all the options or significant number of options,nicer to look at but don't shoot better.I have one "money gun" #3 45-70,just a magnificent rifle,don't really cotton to hunting with a nearly $4000.00. rifle.Missed out on a Shiloh R.R. in 50-90 for a $1000.00 in the local paper last week, dang I want one those real bad,might have to order another.Some of my Shilohs will be worth less than I paid because I use mine,I take care of them but they are used.
Interesting that this is a thread on Shiloh's and not one responder said "I have should have bought a Pedersoli"[smilie=l:

submoa
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
BSkerj,

Make sure when you give your deposit, you get a garantee on the final price. Shiloh did me a little dirty a number of years ago. I ordered the rifle at the Shot Show and gave them my deposit. Was promised a delivery date which was extended 4 or 5 times. I paid off the orginal quote on the rifle within the first year and figured I was good to go. By the time it was ready for delivery, the price had gone up and they tried to charge me for another years worth of price increases. When I canceled the order, they got me for a $50.00 cancellation fee. They did tell me later that that should have never happened----but it did. Just make sure you get it in writing. They do make a great rifle.

rollmyown
09-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Guys, it seems that you're all prety fond of these rifles. How about sharing the love and posting some pics!! :smile:

Don McDowell
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Guys, it seems that you're all prety fond of these rifles. How about sharing the love and posting some pics!! :smile:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31135

BSkerj
10-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Well I decided and will take the plunge. Instead of the Creedmore, after reading some of the reviews from you guys I decided to go with the Sporter #1. I can get everything on it I want for about the same price of the base price of a Creedmore. Talked to the factory people and they advised me to wait until they were ready to start production on the rifle before I came up to tour the factory. They said I would then be able to pick out the wood for the stock and any other incidentals I may decide on. The 250.00 check is on its way though..only 16-18 months to wait ! I am sure it will be worth it. In the meantime I am looking to pick up a Lyman 457125 mould if anyone has one that wants to sell it. Thanks again for the reviews !

Don McDowell
10-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Congrats. And welcome to the ranks of the impatiently waiting... lol

Jbar4Ranch
10-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I picked up this absolutely perfect .45-2 1/10 Saddle Rifle a couple months ago from an acquaintance who won it in a raffle some 30 years ago and had never fired it. It's got at least semi-fancy grade wood on it, which would put it at $2128 at their current pricing. I paid $1200.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Shiloh.jpg
As well as it shoots, I have an Italian Long Range Sharps topped with Lee Shaver sights that shoots even better, and have shot many 3-6 shot groups @ 500 yards that were at, or under, 1.5 MOA, with my best being just a hair under 2/3 MOA (3 shots measuring 3 3/8", center to center) This with a cast 535 grain Postell and a case full of Swiss 1 1/2.
As previously stated, a Shiloh isn't going to depreciate if you take care of it.

DanWalker
10-20-2010, 01:51 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2211.jpg
Here I am shooting my buds 45/110 Shiloh Sharps. He's not quite set up to reload for it yet, so we're shooting factory ammo (at $4 a shot!)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/th_DSCF2214.jpg (http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/?action=view&current=DSCF2214.mp4)
Here's a short video clip of him having as much fun as $4 can buy.