PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem?

gunrunner8
08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Let's say that I will start to use range lead for my SS security six shooting b/c pure w-w are getting scarce. If somebody used the range to pattern their shotguns with tungsten ammo then there is no way that tungsten pellets will be skimmed from the top of molten lead b/c tungsten is much heavier. Is there remote posibility to damage the riffling with tungsten imbedded in lead? I think there is, any other opinions?

docone31
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
What will not blend with the lead, will float.
Skim the stuff out.
If there is any solid particles they should have lead between them and the rifleing. When you size, you will know.

sqlbullet
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
It won't float. It is significantly more dense than lead, unless the tungsten shot is alloyed with something, and tungsten is not the major component.

However, it will not melt and will sink to the bottom. Don't refine in a bottom pour pot and when you are done you will have a bunch of tungsten BB's at the bottom.

sagacious
08-25-2010, 05:35 PM
No, you do not have a problem. W powder is always alloyed with Cu and/or Fe and other compounds when used for shot, and the resulting density is close to that of lead. Pure W is too expensive to use as shot, and is less desirable for other reasons than the typical W/Fe/Cu/Ni/etc powder-metallurgy alloys. Any W shot in your range lead will skim off, or become trapped in the dross, as lead will not wet and entrain W anyway. Most W shot, such as Heavishot, is formulated to be non-abrasive on the relatively soft steel of shotgun barrels, so scoring your barrel with a chip of W shot seems very unlikely.

Range-salvage lead often has a lot of crud in it anyway, so refining it in a separate cast-iron pot is usually the best practice. Good luck.