PDA

View Full Version : Col/lee c309, c312

Mark Daiute
08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I load for a No.I MKIII* a Krag a Model 1917 and an 03 Springfield using the above molds. When I load to standard lengths it seems like there is not much bullet in the case and the lube grooves are exposed.

Should I adjust the COAL to cover the grooves? What COAL's do the rest of you use with these bullets?

Thanks,

Mark

Larry Gibson
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Both cartridges have long necks so I like to just cover the lube grooves with the case mouth covering about 1/2 of the front driving band behind the crimp groove on those 2 bore riders. This keeps the GCs inside the case necks also. I like to size them .002 -.003" over groove or , preferably, to the same size as the throat. They also will be short enough to fit the magazine.

COL is, to me anyways, based on the particular needs of the rifle, cartridge and bullet design being used. I do not base it on some one elses idea fo a "correct" OAL.

Larry Gibson

madsenshooter
08-26-2010, 02:50 AM
I like to have a lube groove right at the mouth of the case. Blows quite a bit of lube out ahead of the bullet in my opinion. Seems like the bigger the better and I think that's one of the reasons the Eagan MX3-30AR shoots so good out of my Krag. I use whatever OAL gets the nose of the bullet started in the throat of a particular rifle. If that means loading them singly, that's ok, but if I'm shooting in a match that has a rapid fire stage, or hunting where I want a magazine full, then I'll load to near max magazine length, if possible.

Calamity Jake
08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't hunt or compete in rapid fire events so I seat to the lands if possible and single load.
Semiautos are another story.