PDA

View Full Version : help with fire forming brass

kennisondan
08-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi : have been meaning to ask this for weeks, reading, forgetting etc.. here is my chance if I do not forget :
uh...

oh yeah I want to fire form new WW unprimed brass for my 45 70 uberti sharps; I read someplace I could shoot them with them loaded or not ?? I could use ball or I could use bullets or ..... what ?
I am not understanding somethning here..
is it correct I can just load a light light load but enough to shove the ball out the barrel ? no Bullit in bore, of course... was thinking that I would just load a light load finger fit 45 lead ball into each one with some low charge fire them off and that would be it ??
thanks
dk

d garfield
08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I have a new 45-70 Ped Quigley and I just loaded up some mid range trapdoor loads and fired them. Seems to work ok.:drinks:

flashhole
08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Why do you think you need to fire form a 45-70? It headspaces on the rim so there is no issue with brass fitment to your guns chamber. Load them up and shoot them as you normally would.

flashhole
08-24-2010, 08:03 PM
You might find some help here.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/49

Le Loup Solitaire
08-24-2010, 08:30 PM
As explained by Flashhole there is no need or point to fireforming what already fits the chamber. Seating on the case rim is all that is needed and going thru the fireforming process will just waste powder, primers and whatever projectile material you are using whether it is tissue paper, a lead ball or and other filler. LLS

kennisondan
08-24-2010, 10:48 PM
hope so

leadman
08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Usually fireforming is done with bottle-necked cartridges to get the shoulder placement correct. This is especially important with the belted magnum cases. Most belted cases are too short from the belt to the shoulder as manufactured.