PDA

View Full Version : how light of a loading and how soft the lead

kennisondan
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
these are my questions and assertions..

I am understanding that lead boolits that are too hard can cause leading if they are undersized and there is an excess of pressure behind it ?

I am understanding that lead boolits that are soft will bump up and fit the barrel if there is enough pressure behind them ? ---but not so much to blow by it after deforming it ?

I notice that a lot of folks use 20 : 1 and that most of the black powder bullet sellers/caster commercially plying their trade confine it so 20 :1... and a lot of the persons mixing their own tend to use 30 : 1... softer alloy..

with a light load of goex like say 55gr. will a 20 : 1 400gr flat base bump up and not deform too much ? how about a 400gr. hollow base bullet ? up to 70 gr. goex with 20 : 1 any problems ? how about 30 : 1 ?

I just want to be able to load light loads for lighter bullets and heavy bullets at times and want to load heavier charges behind both light and heavies... I am likely going to be using some commercial bullets at 20 : 1 after shooting some that a fine member gave me that are 30 : 1 .. I am already afraid of leading from the wrong combination of lead hardness, bullet design, and the powder charge behind it (assuming there is adequate lube, of course .. lol.)

what comments does this generate ?
there is a lot to this BPcR stuff.. unless you do not care about leading or acuracy .. also where can I learn more about tried and true recipes to start with ? I am about to go to a book store and was going buy a blackpowder reloading guide maybe the lyman... while I am OK with just trying it out but since I am waiting on other sights before doing some shooting and sighting in I am learning as much as possible here..
thanks
dk

Harter66
08-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Cartridge ? Cal ?

I can hit the high points , fit (bore + .001-2),appropiate lube for speed & BP.

In BP my expirence is limited to a couple of Hawkens and an inline MLs. I used loads from 40-80gr by volume in the Hawkens with a 370 gr maxi ball of pure and 1-20 , I saw really very little difference between the boolits.
For a bit of fun I cast a few bollits for my RBH in 45Colts from pure ,1-20,and my usual pistol range junk. Then loaded them over 2 loads of 30 and 35measured grs of black appropiately wadded . The loads shot at 35yards seemed to preform to simular points of impact and velocity.

Black must have ZERO air space or VERY BAD things can and will happen. Straight cases can be wadded or carded up for reduced loads.

Do get a book it may save you some trouble.