PDA

View Full Version : New to Paper Patch Shooting and Reloading

Gazz
08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Greetings, new guy here. I recently discovered in a box of stuff I bought some years ago at an estate sale, a Hoch bullet mould. The mould will cast a .451 diameter bullet with no grease grooves. I have been told this is for paper patched bullets. I also have in my stuff a template for cutting the paper for patched bullets and, I have a Pedersoli rolling block in 45-70 that doesn't get out much. Is this the right size mould for my rifle? How does one go about loading a 45-70 paper patched round? Is there an online tutorial somewhere that I can read? I have looked through all of my books hoping I would find something detailed on it but no, only casual mention of it. Thanks for any advice or help!

nicholst55
08-24-2010, 07:41 PM
A good source for information is the book The Paper Jacket, by Paul Matthews. It's available from any number of online sources, like Track of the Wolf, Buffalo Arms Corp, and Shiloh Sharps. Buffalo Arms sells most everything you need to load paper patch ammo.

Another excellent book is Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets - A Beginners Guide, by Randolph S. Wright, also available from Buffalo Arms (http://www.buffaloarms.com/) (and others).

You can also get a lot of very good advice on this site; some of the top BPCR shooters in the country are members here.

montana_charlie
08-25-2010, 12:03 PM
How does one go about loading a 45-70 paper patched round?help!
Since your mould throws a .451" bullet, you will be patching it up to groove diameter for shooting. That means it will be seated to about the same depth in the case as your GG bulets.
Therefore, you will find that loading a round with a PP bullet is not very different from loading one with a GG bullet.

At .002", the 9-pound onionskin paper from Buffalo Arms is probably the right thickness for getting your bullet up to groove diameter.

When you get some trial bullets made and some paper for wrapping, come on back with your questions about how to 'clothe' those bullets.

CM