PDA

View Full Version : SAVAGE brand dies

burt2506
08-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Howdy all!! Just got pointed over here from 'the campfire and am looking for some information:

I have a set of SAVAGE branded FL dies in .30-30 that i am trying to place a value on. I would like to trade them but I have absolutely no idea what a fair price would be.

Any o you gents have any wisdom you can share???

thanks,
burt2506

wiljen
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
I would check with a Savage collector as I suspect those could be worth substantially more as a collectors item than as a 30-30 die. I have been loading and going to gun shows for nearly 40 years now and have never seen a set of Savage made dies. A good place to start would be Savage99.com as they know most of the savage collectors and might point you in the right direction. The Antique reloading Forum might also be a good place (Floodgate are you listening?) You might PM floodgate, I'm not sure if he stops by here very often these days, but he has forgotten more about antique reloading tools than most of us will likely ever know.

As dies, 30-30 die sets go through here quite regularly for between $15 and $30 depending on brand and condition.

Pressman
08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Do you have the original box and if so is it in good condition. Are the dies free of plier marks.
Nominal value, meeting the above criteria is 35-45 dollars. Savage made their own dies and they are of excellent quality.
Die collecting seems to be in its infancy yet, not many people are into them other than the Lyman 310 dies. It could be a fasinating field to specialize in as there are so many makes and variations.

Ken

218bee
08-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I agree a neat item....I would think if you have the box and it has nice graphics especially an Indian Head logo then ya got something....if just the dies probably not worth too much..maybe a guy with a 99 in 30/30 would like them

burt2506
08-24-2010, 03:46 PM
sorry guys, no box, just the dies.

they are in great shape and they load good ammo, but I do not need 2 sets of .30-30 dies....

really just want to get a fair price out of them. Guy over at 24 hr is interested, but I want to be fair to both of us. He has a Savage Straight-8' press and they would go nice with that.

THANK YOU ALL for the suggestions & replies.

God Bless,
burt2506

scrapcan
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Burt2506,

Pressman gave you good advice. The other nice thing you have in your favor and the individual intersted in them, is his interest to help keep them together.

I have many times dropped or come to a decent price to allow others to be able to keep tools of one maker together, especially if they are interested collectors. Maybe a trade can be made for something you do need.

burt2506
08-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the info & suggestions. I am working on a trade so hopefully we all win.

Thanks for makin a 'greenhorn' feel welcome.

burt2506

captaint
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Burt - I actually have three sets of Savage dies. 7MM Rem, 308, and 222 Rem Mag. Have the boxes for 2. Got them from an old gunsmith friend. Two of the sets I use regularly. They load very straight ammo. enjoy Mike

madsenshooter
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Savage had a deal with Lyman at one time. Lyman made the stuff and put it in Savage marked packages. One item in particular that I'm aware of is Lyman Tru-Lock mounts and rings, the rings were stamped Savage and packaged as Savage QD, for Quick Detachable, mounts. I imagine that's were these dies came from too.

Papa Jack
09-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I bought three boxes of old Savage Shell holders from a junk table at a local gun shop. They fit various calibers and work fine in my RCBS and other presses....
In the original boxes, I been using em for years and give em away to friends who need a shell holder....

The one thing to be aware of when using some of these OLDER die sets and tooling...They were NOT standardized back in those days. What I mean is, you can set the HEADSPACE dim. BACK on your cases if you set the dies up to contact the shell holder.
So make sure when you set up the size die that you check the shoulder for SET BACK on your sized cases !!! I ruined a bunch of good Military 06 cases when I first started loading because I set the size die to contact the shell holder , and set the shoulders back ! A Rookie mistake. ( using an old EASTON Die Set )
I now have a wilson case gage to check that for almost all my cases.... "PJ"

scrapcan
09-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Papa Jack,

I would term those dies as having proper construction, but that is my ideal not the normal run of the mill current day reloader. Most dies of the time frame where cosntructed in the way you describe and in my definition of headspace it actually allows one to match their ammunition to their firearm's headspace. Ifyou want some very interesting discussions look up the discussion of headspace.

But that is all a digression and you were wise to point that out to those who may not be familar with older dies.

DLCTEX
09-11-2010, 05:02 AM
I sold a set of Savage 30-30 dies (no box) about five years ago on Ebay for $30. I was pleasantly surprised they brought that much. Of course shortly after that I started loading for 30-30 again and had to buy dies to replace them.

roysha
09-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I sold a set of Savage 30-30 dies (no box) about five years ago on Ebay for $30. I was pleasantly surprised they brought that much. Of course shortly after that I started loading for 30-30 again and had to buy dies to replace them.

Welcome to my world!:-|

Papa Jack
09-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Papa Jack,

I would term those dies as having proper construction, but that is my ideal not the normal run of the mill current day reloader. Most dies of the time frame where cosntructed in the way you describe and in my definition of headspace it actually allows one to match their ammunition to their firearm's headspace. Ifyou want some very interesting discussions look up the discussion of headspace.

But that is all a digression and you were wise to point that out to those who may not be familar with older dies.

You are most probably correct.....I have read somewhere, maybe in "Hand loader magazine " (??? ) about some of the older dies and shell holders not being the same as the currently available ones we have today. The dim. of the shell holders being different from the base where the case sits to the top where the die bottoms out.
I think now the manufactures hold the dies and shell holders to a common Tolerance or Industry Standard ... ( SAAMI ??) ..... "PJ"

Pressman
09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Just to correct a bit of guess-information, Savage did make their own dies in house.
Ken