PDA

View Full Version : Reloaded a Few .22LR - Need Best Guess Velocities

Josh Smith
08-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Hello,

I managed to reload a few CCI Blazer 40gn LR (see the thread where I was looking for bullets).

Seems I can rework the heel of a pulled bullet using an accurizer/hollowpointer tool, and they stay in pretty OK.

Anyway, I need to know if someone might be able to give me some velocities.

The factory load uses a 40gn bullet, case with 3.1gn water capacity, and 1.5gn of a very fast powder. BE would likely be the fastest commercial powder, but this stuff seems just a tad faster.

Stock load runs a factory 1235fps or so with the 1.5gn of powder.

I tried 1.0gn, and it's definitely subsonic, but still a bit loud.

Worked down to 0.5gn, and it was much, much quieter while still shooting just fine. Sounded about like a Red Ryder.

So what I need to know, if anyone has a calculator, is this:

1235fps with 1.5gn CCI powder

??? fps with 1.0gn CCI powder

??? fps with 0.5gn CCI powder

I would think there would be some sort of calculator online someplace that would let me run these numbers using BE as a base powder and graphing it out, but I can't find one.

I don't have a chrono yet. I was planning on that being my next purchase, then I got laid off, so that'll have to wait.

Any help?

Thanks,

Josh

Hardcast416taylor
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I`ll always remember the kid in shop class that took some .22`s apart. He didn`t think they were fast enough as loaded. He added powder from some he took apart and added it to the full charge of other shells, then replaced the bullet. Good thing he had a decently strong Remington bolt action, but it still came apart! For the price of what .22`s are, I`ll stick to buying them.Robert

Mk42gunner
08-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Velocities, and more importantly pressures, are not necessarily linear with the amount of powder burned. Especially with smokeless powder.

Robert

Josh Smith
08-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Hello,

They can be primed using strike anywhere matches. You dissolve the heads in some liquid, put a couple drops into the spent case, and then spin the case with a drill. Let it dry and it's ready for reloading!

But, I'm just using primed cases. And I'm not increasing the charge - more like decreasing to see what will happen.

My math is coming out right at 505.35fps at the muzzle.

Can someone check this math, though, please? Before I go plugging it into a spreadsheet?

Impact = .517490

Shot start = .060320

time of flight minus M = 0.45717

M = 1133fps (75 deg F)

D = 150ft

T(bullet) = T(total) - T(sound)

T(sound) = 150/1133 = .13239

T(bullet) = .45717 - .13239

T(bullet) = .32478

V(bullet) = d/T(bullet) = 150/.32478 = 461.85avg

43.5fps avg loss with CCI bullet, avg of muzzle velocity and velocity at 150ft

MV = 505.35

Thanks!

Josh

jameslovesjammie
08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Some powders behave differently. I think that by running 1/3 the powder that the factory round has, your velocities will most likely be erratic. It is even possible that you can have a round that will increase pressure or be unstable, like a reduced load of H110.

The only way to know for sure what your loads are doing is to shoot them through a chronograph. When you mentioned that the stock load measures 1235, was that chronographed or advertised velocity? Your actual velocity may be quite off the mark there as well.

broomhandle
08-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi Josh,

Please think CB caps or 22 shorts for now. Wait until you get your cronograph.

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish with this experiment?

A face shield might be a good thought.

Best, broom

Suo Gan
08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Josh, You sound like a smart guy, so I know there is probably more method to your madness than we can see on the surface. But, can your goal be accomplished with a regular CB cap or another subsonic load? They are 100 for $5 or so.

NoDakJak
08-27-2010, 07:28 AM
I concurr with Suo Gan. The ammunition companies seem to be very secretive about what powders that they employ in the various 22 long rifle cartridges. You should most definetly purchase a Chronograph if you continue in your experiments. You may be shocked at the velocity and pressure fluctations. These experiments have been carried out sporidicactlly since at least the early nineteen fifties. I remember reading of one experimenter recommending the use of Bullseye powder since it had a known burning rate.
Rimfire cases are very weak so be very cautious especially if you try to prime the cases. Back in the early sixties I was firing a Model 72 Winchester Match rifle when I had a case let go. The pressures were enough that it blew the rim completely off the case and left the case head brazed to the bolt face and the case in the chamber. When the rifle was shipped to the factory the reply was that the evidence indicated the case had contained an excess of priming compound. They stated that due to manfacturing safegaurds the chance of this happening were many millions to one. I was the unhappy one!!! Since I shoot left handed I recieved molten brass and burning powder granules in the left eye which blinded me for several hours. Wear side shields on your safety glasses!
I hope that this little tid bit of info helps. Have fun but proceed cautiously! Neil

Josh Smith
08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Hello,

All I'm wanting is a heavy CB - in other words, a CB LR, not just long.

This load is even quieter and should pack more punch.

But load experimentation, as well as some radical gunsmithing, is something I do.

This is something else I've done, unrelated to the handload but in the same rifle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n00IqVTHEgs

I just love to experiment! :D

Josh

broomhandle
08-27-2010, 10:55 PM
I just love to experiment!

Josh

Hi Josh,

Midway has cronographs on sale this week!

I shoot the Agila 63 grain sub-sonic bullets out of my Mossburg 144 LS target rifle & it is very quiet, because of the long barrel! CB caps & shorts are as quiet as a good suppressor in that rifle.

As always, I wish you LUCK!

Best,
broom
PS Think SHOT show 2011

Josh Smith
08-28-2010, 03:30 AM
Hi Broom,

Thanks! Can't afford it yet but things are looking better in the job arena. There's a place that needs people who will work with mentally challenged kids, but also have a bit of medical experience. I have been through specialized S/P training as an educator when I worked in that field, and I have the CNA license as well. So that's just less money they'll have to spend after they hire me :D

What twist does your rifle have? I was told the Aguila has a whole lot of trouble stabilizing out of anything less than 1:12, IIRC. I would really love to use them in my Savage though, and that would entail custom fitting a Ruger 77/22 barrel to the action. From what I understand, it's really no big deal to do, but I sorta' like the barrel that's on it now: The barrel blank is the same used by Anschutz for their rifles; Savage just finished the chambers to their specs, form what I understand. Better than most aftermarkets made for the 77/22.

Thanks!

Josh

broomhandle
08-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Josh,

I really don't know what the Mossburg barrel twist it. i'll try to find out. it might be 1in 16 with deep groves that would be good for your special bullets too!

Do know that the Colt match /target AR I have, has a one in 1 in 7 twist, that rifle shoots the 63 grain Aguila bullets well.
Look this site over too.
http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/30307-subsonic-22-ammo-hunting.html

Best, broom:drinks:

Josh Smith
08-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Hello,

I am done experimenting until I come up with a chrono.

The Olde Tyme guys may have done it, but if I can get a better tool, then I'll most certainly use it.

Thanks!

Josh