PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh Sharps Commemorative Set?

Dragoon 45
08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I was at a gun show Sunday and saw a two rifle commemorative set of Shiloh Sharps. One rifle was a round barrel business rifle in .45-70 with a 30" barrel and the other was a carbine in .45-70 with a 22" barrel. Each rifle had a medallion inset into the buttstock which I could not read due to the seller not wanting anyone to touch them and distance away from the aisle. Both rifle and carbine had only buckhorn barrel sights and a front blade, no bases and/or tang sights mounted. They were in a fairly nice wooden case, but once again not anything extra-ordinary. He said something about them being a Texas Ranger Commemorative Set. Asking price was almost $7500 dollars for the set IIRC. Both rifles had color case hardening on the receivers, but as far as I could tell no special checkering on the wood or engraving on the metal. The only thing I could see that distinguished them from a normal low end Shiloh was the medallion inset into the buttstock.

As I am not that familiar with Shiloh issuing commemorative sets, I have to wonder if this was a legimate deal. Also the price seemed excessive. Should I have been interested or did I make the right move by passing on the deal?

george1980
08-24-2010, 09:56 PM
take a look on gun broker just use shiloh for the search theres the same set on sale with a starting bid of 4100 and it has been relisted a few times now , the auctions out of GARDEN CITY, MO may very well be the same set you seen http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186830694

Dragoon 45
08-24-2010, 11:12 PM
take a look on gun broker just use shiloh for the search theres the same set on sale with a starting bid of 4100 and it has been relisted a few times now , the auctions out of GARDEN CITY, MO may very well be the same set you seen http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186830694

Same types of guns, but the case is different and I could have sworn it was a Texas Ranger Commemorative Set not a US Marshall's Set. But as I am somewhat afflicted with CRS it could be the same.

Thanks