PDA

View Full Version : Melted down some Zinc WW

mac1911
08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Yesterday I sorted and smelted down the last batch of WW.
As I was cleaning up I filled a 2qt cast pot with Zinc wheel weights. It took the 20psi burner a long time to get these buggers melted and the frame of the burner got red red hot.
This does not happen when I do known lead weights.

Well I wasted enough gas to learn my current smelting method is not going to get much zinc melted in my mix.

I tried to get rid of a bucket of Zinc WW to a couple of guys I know that make there own weights. They dont like zinK. Say it doesnt fill the molds nice??

Cowboy T
08-23-2010, 11:59 PM
That's true, it doesn't, due to a higher surface tension. However, if you cast shotgun slugs, you can use Lee's slug mould to make some pretty darn hard slugs that will punch through just about anything, including heavy grizzly bear bones if that's what you're hunting. The reason is that this slug mould is very round, almost hemispherical in shape at the top half, with no sharp edges. Surface tension doesn't matter when you don't have sharp edges to worry about. :-)

geargnasher
08-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Here are some good tips from some folks that really know their metallurgy, might help:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=89931&highlight=zinc+range

Gear

mac1911
08-25-2010, 03:34 PM
im considering getting a few sinker molds and cast some up for myself and friends