PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip vs Straight Grip

ghh3rd
08-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Wondering about the pros/cons between pistol grip stock and straght grip stocks.

Also, someone told me that some localities restrict 5+1 capacity for hunting, but 4+1 is good everywhere. True?

Thanks

jh45gun
08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Don't know about the capacity situation but that straight vs curved lever has been hashed out here many times do a search and you will find lots of comments. Only restrictions I have ever heard was shotguns for water fowl never heard there was any for rifles but I suppose it depends on the location. Except for when Klinton had his assault rifle ban limiting it to ten rounds on some guns.

6pt-sika
08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Of the 25 levers I own 15 are straight and 10 are PG .

I shoot them both equally well !

Heavy lead
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I like the look of the straight grip the best, but the pistol grips for me are more eronomic. The hard kickers, for me again, is much easier to control the recoil. I have no pistol grips on hand, only 4 straight grips, one 95 and 3 94's. My b&^* busters are all bolt guns right at the moment.

JJC
08-24-2010, 02:09 AM
I like the feel of the straight grip better, but both work fine for me. Check the local laws for ammo capacity they usually have a restriction on shotguns and semiautos.

missionary5155
08-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Good morning
Your state puts out thier official rules and regulations. Question is if a commoner can translate it into daily thought patterns. When in dought carry a copy and hand it to the intruding official to read and explain while you tape record the conversation.

Bret4207
08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Usually your State game laws syllabus issued with your license has that info. In my STate at least it's all written simply and straight forward.

cajun shooter
08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Have both styles and like both the same. I have never seen a difference down range and that is what matters. Now if you want a very nice looking rifle the makers seem to put the fancy wood and checkering on the PG models.

NickSS
08-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Some states I have lived in restrict the number of rounds in a rifle for big game hunting so do not. Personally I rarely load more than two or three rounds at most. I have killed a lot of game over the years and can only think of two times where I fired more than 1 shot. One was in New Hampshire where I shot a white tail deer that was running across a field with and M1 Carbine. Due to the semi auto feature I shot three rounds and the animal fell over. The first shot was a killing shot as were the two following but I got excited and fired till it dropped. It only went about 30 yards after the first shot. The second time I was shooting from a Kyak off the coast of Adak, Alaska at a Caribou that was walking along the top of the bluffs about 300 yards away. I was bouncing around in a three foot swell and firing from a sitting position. I connected with the third shot and got my animal after nearly three hours of really hard work first getting to it then packing the quarters out over the tundra in a snow storm.

Lloyd Smale
08-26-2010, 05:29 AM
anohter one who loves the straight grips but has to admitt on the really hard kickers the pistol griped guns are easier to shoot.

Hardcast416taylor
08-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I have had both types of grips on my lever guns. I just have a real soft spot for the feel of a Winnie model 64 grip though. As to the number of rounds allowed, all you really need is one.Robert

Larry Gibson
08-26-2010, 01:57 PM
The pistol grip stocks allow for a little less felt recoil as there is more of a tendency to pull the stock back into the shoulder more solidly with them. I also have a real soft spot for the M64 style stock on lever actions. I was really happy to have found the M94AE Black Shadow. It is a dandy lever action rifle.

Larry Gibson

Canuck Bob
08-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a pistol grip 444 Marlin and a Winchester 92 (Miroku model 53 clone actually) and owned a straight grip Browning BLR.

I much prefer the pistol grip for simple feel and comfort. Other than nostalgia I can think of no reason to have a straight grip. Someday I might buy a straight grip pre-64 Winchester 94 for the historical factor but I own only pistol grip weapons.