PDA

View Full Version : Hunting WAY too slow!

waksupi
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Archery season opened this weekend, so I have put some time in the mountains. I got a grouse yesterday, so Drew, your bow has been blooded in Montana. Got him at about 15 yards, after a couple others had flushed already. Used a flu flu, with a 3/8" nut screwed on the end of the wooden shaft. These kill small game very well, and make good stump shooters.
When I started up the mountain yesterday, there was a doe and two fawns standing by the driveway. They were safe, as they are pets. And pests, but it wouldn't be cricket killing deer that have come to trust people.
I saw a few deer up on the mountain, but it was too dry, to even try a stalk. When I came back home, the doe and fawns were still there, but they had been joined by a three point buck. Now, he wasn't one that had been hanging around all summer, so I parked, and put the sneak on him. Got to within about 35 yards, and he crossed into the neighbors, so I gave him up.
This morning, On the way to the outhouse, there were a doe and a buck standing there watching me. I went back in the cabin, and got the bow, considering shooting the buck, as he was another stranger. I decided to let them go, as I really don't want to use up my deer tags too early.
Then, I got in the pickup, went to a different ridge than yesterday, and saw two does, and a buck. I started a stalk on them, and was about 50 yards away, when the wind changed to directly behind me, and they were gone as soon as they got my scent.
I continued along the ridge, and saw a shadow pass over me. It was a turkey buzzard, giving me the eyeball. It was soon joined by four more, and they kept circling me. I hunt slow, but thought they could tell I was alive!
I sat down to watch them, and they were swooping within about 10 yards of me. They followed me all the way back to the truck. I'd never seen this behaviour from turkey buzzards before. So, I guess I need to move faster, or maybe take a bath!
I also noticed the bucks have already changed to thier winter coats, while the does and fawns are still in summer red. Maybe the Old Farmers' Almanac is right, about a very cold winter in these parts this season.

Jack Stanley
09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
So ahhhhh.......... yew thinkin' that maybe them buzzards is up on somthing you ain't ?? [smilie=1:

Maybe get a belt-fed bow ?:Fire:

Jack

MGySgt
09-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I got a grouse yesterday, so Drew, your bow has been blooded in Montana.....

Good Shooting Ric! Not the first blood with that bow - but it has been a long dry spell for it.

Blunts/Small Game arrows - I like a .38 Spl casing on the end. The shaft doesn't split much at the point end and they sure do pack a wallop! Works great on a cedar arrow! I also put them on a few 2213's shooting a 60 pound compound! Gave about a 9% or better FOC.

Good hunting and just maybe you might be moving a wee bit to slow if the buzzards think you are dead! or about to die. And I thought I was a slow mover!

Drew