PDA

View Full Version : H&R Buffalo Classic or Uberti 1874 Sharps?

bayouBore
08-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Hello all,
I am stuck in a decision. I am trying to choose between the H&R BC or a Uberti 1874 Sharps. It is the Standard Sharps, the link to the picture is below followed buy the website:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1874_sharps_standard.jpg

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1874_sharps.php

I will be using the gun for whitetail hunting. I can get the the BC for $380 or the Uberti for $900. I have been wanting a .45-70 for a few years now and i currently have the budget for a new gun. My intention for quite a while was to buy the BC but when I saw the Sharps at a local gun store two weeks ago I have been back and fourth since. I had been scoping out the sharps replicas in the last 6 months or so but figured that would be a purchase for later in life (basing that thought on a $1500+ price tag). I have much admiration and a love for western style guns. I have a feeling hunting with a single shot gun may be my primary hunting method in the near future. My only problem (and it is purely personal) with the Uberti is the barrel. I always imagined buying a sharps replica with a 28"- 32" octagonal barrel and this model at the store is a 30" round barrel (right length wrong shape). I am definitely buying a .45-70 in the next week or so. I have shot a friend's handi rifle and recoil is not an issue for me. I've read many great things about the BC and it's a lot cheaper. Should I just take the cheaper route and get the BC or get the dream gun? Both are within budget. What do you guys think i should do? Are there any pros and cons to round or octagonal barrels? Or is it just cosmetic? Any info and/or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Trifocals
08-23-2010, 06:47 AM
I would go with the BC. I have one and it is a great shooter. I have read many good reports about the Uberti. However one must remember that the Uberti is a foreign made firearm so the con side is parts availability. The BC is American made and parts are easy to obtain. I would suggest after purchasing a BC that you take the difference in money between it and an Uberti and put it away toward the future purchase of a Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 cal.. You will have a substantial waiting period to get a Shiloh Sharps, but the quality and workmanship of their firearms is outstanding. Rest assured that parts will always be available for the Shiloh. As an aside, I also own a Shiloh Sharps in .45-70. It is quite easy to become addicted to the .45-70 cartridge. It will readily put down anything from mice to moose and when properly loaded is sufficient for large bears. Don't ever let anyone convince you that the velocity of the .45-70 is insufficient to class it as a decent game cartridge. The large frontal area and retained energy of those big boolits are what makes it work so well. It is/was not unusual for buffalo/bison hunters to have those big boolits penetrate completely through one of those large critters, either broadside or end to end. Meat damage is minimal when compared to the hydrostatic damage incurred by high velocity expanding J bullets. The trajectory of those big, slow moving boolits is akin to a rainbow but with paitence, can be learned. As an illustration hitting a critter with one of those big boolits is akin to being hitting it with a Mack truck as compared to a J bullet hitting like a Mini Cooper. It wouldn't surprise me if sometime in the future you purchased a Marlin 1895, a Springfield trapdoor, a Winchester highwall replica, a Ruger #1 and/or #3, all in .45-70 cal.. Have fun, good hunting and enjoy the .45-70. By the way their is really no particular advantage to either a round or octagonal barrel. Trifocals

cajun shooter
08-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I have owned both and the 1874 will hold it's value much better than the BC. I know it cost more but the 1874 has a certain mystic about it when you shoulder it to send one down range. Better sights will mount to the 74 easier and finally the 74 will absorb recoil better.

montana_charlie
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Are there any pros and cons to round or octagonal barrels? Or is it just cosmetic?
I think 'traditionally primitive' might fit.
Going back to the Pennsylvania and Kentucky gunsmiths, shaping the outer contour of a barrel to 'move the hole' to the center of the muzzle required some kind of metal-cutting tool. The average backwoods builder was more likely to have a draw file than a lathe.
The resulting octagonal shape came to be so common, it stayed in our barrels after manufacturing moved into the cities.
It still seems like the 'American' way to finish a barrel.

But comparing round to octagonal with all else being equal, the round barrel should be stiffer and heavier than the other...because the metal on the flats has not been removed.
That should be a slight advantage...perhaps enough to take the question out of the purely 'cosmetic' category.

CM

mdi
08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Were I in the same situation I'd go with the Buffalo Classic and use the savings for some good sights; mebbe Marbels tang sights in keeping with the "cool" factor.

littlejack
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
bayouBore:
Welcome to9 the CastBolits.
I owned a BC for about three years. I never could get it to shoot well. I tried a lot of different boolits as well as bullets. I have read and heard on other forums of other shooters having the same problem. I have also heard and read of other shooters not having any problems and their BC's shooting very well. One of the off and on problems is the action coming open during the firing of heavier loads. I did have that problem also. I gave up and sent H&R, aka Marlin, aka Rmington the BC back for a refund. Yes, they refunded all of my money.
I have bought a replacement, being the Uberti 1885 Hiwall. I have had it for about three years. It is a very nice and well made firearm. I have had many comments from other club members and shooters on the rifle. I am still looking for that magical load, but it will take out a deer at 200 yards if I do my part.
I have no expierience with the 74, but if it were me, I would get the Uberti. The craftmanship is there. Repair and parts ARE available in the states. Personally, I would not get one of the upper priced rifles. I believe the quality and craftmanship it there, but for my needs, the Uberti fills my order. To each his own.
I believe that you will feel something missing if you get the cheaper BC, and still long for the 74 for its looks, nostalgia, and the history behind the firearm.
Just thinking out loud.
Jack

Tom-ADC
08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I have a Sharps but my next rifle will be a H&R BC.

bayouBore
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM
thank you all for the info and opinions

kennisondan
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I have the sharps uberti... my brother has the BC .. he scoped his with a modern scope.. I am looking into a good tang sight but would hunt with the marbles peeps, as well. I fully intend to fill a tag with mine; he does too.. If I got the bc I would pine for the double set triggers of the uberti and the nostalgia .. I would also use iron sights on it so mounting the scope on the bc is not a thing I would do.. if I want a single shot with a scope it is my ruger 1.. or encore / contender tc guns.
The trigger on my sharps model uberti is really nice, the BC slightly less so but that can be easily remedied to a really good trigger with a little stoning etc.
if you just want to hunt and just want a 45 70 the BC will do what you want it to do.. if you want a little more .. I just like to look at the darned sharps..
one day I would like a shiloh sharps because it is reputed to be the best fit and finish and just a great gun...I am not ready to spend that just yet and the uberti made my pedersoli is the closest thing to it... I really like the feel of mine..
my brother''s bc got a sissy pad installed by a local smith to tame it down some and it is still handsome even with a modern scope on it.. I just want to do it my way..
I know time is short but if you are somewhere fairly close to lafayette, la. you can probably arrange to shoot both of them with some kind of bullets at an impromptu or state range .. my email is posted..
kennisonlaw@gmail.com shoot me a line..
dk

John Boy
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I will be using the gun for whitetail hunting.
BB, if the only purpose for the 45-70 is hunting and style points of a '74 Sharps is not an issue, go with the Buffalo Classic.
* The barrels are made by Green Mountain and are very accurate
* You have multiple choices for sights, the factory Baldwin, a scope, a Smith barrel mounted ladder sight or putting a peep or vernier on the stock
* You will not be shooting probably more than 150 to 200 yds. They rifle's accuracy at this 'short' range will surprise you
I have shot my BC much longer distances using black powder - out to 1000 yds. My best group was at 600 yds: 5 shots in the 7 ring - 2 1/4 by 7" with 3 holes that could have been covered by a silver dollar

Don't use jacket bullets - the bore likes lead bullets. Load the Lyman 457125, 500gr Govt bullet with either nitro or black powder

NickSS
08-25-2010, 05:57 AM
If you want a gun for shooting deer the BC will do the job and save you money but if you want to hunt and perhaps take part in some of the BPCR competitions buy the Uberti as the BC is not allowed in some of them and will beat you up over long strings of shooting due to its light weight. I have a Uberti Sharps and it shoots well and has knocked over its share of metalic Silhouettes. I also have an H&R handy rifle in 45-70 with a 22 inch barrel. It is very handy in the woods and also works well for wild pigs that I occasionally hunt. The handy is a good $100 less than the BC too.

kennisondan
08-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I really will let you handle fondle and shoot mine if you wish and borrowing my brothers would be not a problem..
for utilitarian purposes, I would not hesitate to grab up the bc.. I just love the trigger / set triggers on the sharps ubert and once it is set .. it is a fine trigger.. I cannot comment on the BC but again it is easy to fix.. he is a pure deer hunter and put a modern scope on his and it is a real killer .. we figured out what point of aim for different distances and he is set to go out to two hundred easily.
you cannot make a wrong decision here it is just about what you would want to do with it.. and if you are willing to pay more for styling .. if you are hunting with it you are not going to likely shoot the number of shots a target shooter would shoot so the recoil is not a problem and it is nothing to put a boot on it to dampen that... it is legal of course to hunt deer during blackpowder with either one..
just let us know what you do and welcome whther you shoot the bc or the sharps, jacketed or cast , nitro or black or some abomination substitute black (lol) the guys here are knowlegeable and helpful. if my brother sells his bc I am going to buy it and rig it out differently than my uberti sharps, less of a nostalgic peice less authentic period specific and more modern hunting specific with modern optics and the whole works cutting edge, so to speak.. at least that owuld be my plan today.. lol
good luck friend
dk

dangerranger
08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I have a BC, I like it very much, its accurate with loads it likes. it draws attn at the range. Im still looking for a cast load it likes, but Ill get there. but , if budget wasnt a concern Id have gotten the Sharps. DR

nicholst55
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
If I was going to buy a Sharps (and it IS on my bucket list!), I would spend the few extra dollars and buy a C. Sharps rifle rather than an Italian rifle. They are very competitively priced, and they are made by Americans, for Americans. They are also beautiful, high-quality rifles.

C. Sharps Arms, Inc. Big Timber, MT (http://www.csharpsarms.com/index.php)

phaessler
08-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, on this note, what would be a fair price for an H&R .45-70Govt with factory trigger work, the 32" BC barrel, Williams rear sight and a Lyman 17 upfront? Its not a true BC, it was a factory fitted barrel on an SB2 frame, held onto it for my son, but he has taken my Marlin 1895 instead.
So I do have one I am going to part with, but not sure of todays market value or pricing? Any help would be appreciated.
Pete

pls1911
08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
SHARPS! Friend has a BC and it's a nice piece, but it ain't a Sharps.
If you've ever had a sharps apart, you know you could build or repair almost any part in a blacksmith forge, a hammer and a file.
take itaprt, polish the parts and you'll be smiling.
Agree with the prior post regarding acquisition in you future... Marlins, Rugers, and more.

home in oz
08-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I would get the one, and keep saving up for a Sharps.

Lead melter
08-28-2010, 11:10 PM
My 2 cents.....get the BC and pocket the difference for a future purchase of whatever YOU want. Yeah, the H&R's do have a few issues with breaking open under recoil, but this can be eliminated by keeping the hinge pin and locking lever clean. A little solvent, a cotton swab and some light oil will do wonders.
Mine is the standard Handi version with green [yuck] laminated stock. Ugly, but shoots any bullet or boolit larger than .457" with equal aplomb. Sometimes it amazes me, and other times it drives me nuts. Factory open sights are decent, a peep rear and replacement front is no big chore, and scope mounting is a breeze. Plus, it will kill as dead as dead can be, and if it gets scarred up, better a $400 dollar gun than a $2500 one.

dangerranger
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Well, on this note, what would be a fair price for an H&R .45-70Govt with factory trigger work, the 32" BC barrel, Williams rear sight and a Lyman 17 upfront? Its not a true BC, it was a factory fitted barrel on an SB2 frame, held onto it for my son, but he has taken my Marlin 1895 instead.
So I do have one I am going to part with, but not sure of todays market value or pricing? Any help would be appreciated.
Pete

Ive seen these used sell anywhere from $500 to $200. the $500 gun had after market sights, and exceptional wood. DR

Freightman
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Had a BC but traded it off along with a 308 Saiga, AK47 (self build) a case of 308 ammo, a Taurus snubby 357, and a CZ52 for a Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express. Saying that I have never regretted anything on the list except for the BC, but that was the clincher to get the Shiloh and I haven't regretted getting it for sure. Get the 74 first then a handi or a BC, you will not regret ether one. Have fun!
PS the man I traded with hatted the Shiloh because it was so heavy and long, but he is 5'2" and 125# I might hate it to. ( my leg is that heavy)

montana_charlie
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
PS the man I traded with hatted the Shiloh because it was so heavy and long, but he is 5'2" and 125# I might hate it to. ( my leg is that heavy)
Probably thought holding that rifle would make him look as big as Tom Selleck...but it had the opposite effect.
What he needed was a hat like Selleck's. Yup, that would do the trick...
CM

EDG
09-05-2010, 11:54 PM
If you want to drive half way across Texas I will let you shoot both.
The Uberti is made by Pedersoli. I have both a Pedersoli and a BC. I have not even shot my BC but I have a matching H&R .38-55 Target rifle. I guess the H&R are ok for casual shooters but I consider them a PIA for bullet casters. The grooves are shallow as in about .002 to .0025 per side.
If you are a good and patient shopper you can find the 74 Pedersoli or Uberti for less than $900. The rifle you are looking at can be found in online auctions starting at about $700 new. A used one will bring nearly as much. On the other hand a used BC might be found for about $250. There is nothing about the quality of the BC that compares with the Uberti/Pedersoli rifles.
The one stinker is once you buy a 74 model you will want a good tang sight. Good tang sights can be expensive but you can learn to get by with the el cheapo Pedersoli sight until you can afford a good tang that will coast as much or more than the complete BC rifle.
I also shoot the Browning BPCR rifles and the Pedersoli compares favorably with them for over all quality and accuracy though i personally prefer the Highwall style actions. How ver if you like the 74 Sharps style I would much prefer it to the H&R in the long run.

wellfedirishman
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
For what it is worth (free!), here is an opinion on both of these.

I have a Uberti Sharps Hunter 28" barrel, I picked it up off Gunbroker for $670 last year (new, from Tannerguns). It is a very nicely made Sharps with case colored action, lovely wood, and it has a tough parkerized style finish on the round barrel which won't scratch if you go hunting. It came with fiber optic sights, which I replaced with a long range tang sight ($50 from Cabelas) and a Lyman globe front sight (about $30). So for about $750, it is set up just how I like. It shoots very well with both black powder and with smokeless loads. I have only fired cast bullets (no jacketed) and it shoots them well.

I also have a Buffalo Classic 45-70, which is a nice gun too, but not a fancy as the Uberti. I think it cost about $380 at Sportsmans Warehouse + tax. The BC does have the advantage of a globe and peep sight from the factory, and you can switch out barrels on the same frame which is very convenient. I picked up several Handi barrels in other calibers from GraybeardOutdoors forum and been very happy with them.

The Buffalo Classic shoots well also, but i don't think it is quite as accurate as the Sharps (but that may be due to the better sights on my Sharps). The BC shoots black and smokeless equally well with cast bullets.

The Buffalo Classic 32 inch barrel is a bit long for a woods gun I think. If you want a short range hunter, a Handi Rifle in 45-70 with a 21 inch barrel would be cheaper (about $250 I think) and more practical, but not as pretty.

Alternatively, the NEF Buffalo Carbine in 45LC (the little brother to the Buffalo Classic) is a really nice handy woods gun with cowboy sights and it looks great, and the 45LC round would be plenty for deer.

Plenty of options out there, its a matter of personal taste really.