PDA

View Full Version : 43 German Mauser Pyrodex rs load

84mmcarl-gustav
08-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Hello,i just started loading this kind of ammo,and i want try load with pyrodex rs,is the loading procces is the same as regular black powder,
no air space betwen the powder and the bullet,and need a wad so no contamination.thanks:castmine:

elk hunter
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
84MM,

Welcome aboard.

I believe you're right, but I don't have any experience with pyrodex. It should load volume for volume for the same grade of black powder, not by weight, as I believe it is lighter then black powder for a given volume. I would try it both with and without a wad if using plain base bullets.

Perhaps someone with experience with Pyrodex will jump in and help.

oldreliable45120
08-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Elk hunter is right PYRODEX should only be used by volume. I've been using pyrodex since the mid 80's in both muzzle loaders and ctg rifles, and pistols. The big advantage over black is more rounds per pound and the fouling doesn't accumulate as much as black does.
If you want to use pyrodex in ctg rifle use the CTG type. It is larger in size, and works better than the smaller grades, and has a lower MV than RS type. this seems to work better in larger cases.
This grade is all I use in my original 43 Spanish rifles ( 5 so far ) and in some of my 45-70 rollers too.

NickSS
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I have loaded the 3 Mauser round with black and tried some pyrodex RS as well. Use a good BP lube and cast your bullets soft like 30-1. I found that pyrodex needs a bit more compression that does BP to get good accuracy. I just fill up the case until there is about 1/4 inch of space left the the case mouth and then compress the powder with a card wad using a compression die. I then seat the bullet and really do not crimp I just take out the bell of the case mouth. This works for me in my 71/84 Muser.

84mmcarl-gustav
08-25-2010, 11:03 PM
hello,that make the fun,of casting,and loading,thanks for the info.