PDA

View Full Version : BTS 45 cal die set avialble

BT Sniper
08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Guys,

I'm putting the finishing touches on a complete .451 swage die set. I upgraded all internial components of course and tweeked it just right to allow for the perfect use of 40 S&W brass for jackets. It will yeild a perfect 45 cal bullet in weight ranges from 180 to over 400 grains and set up for use with any decent reloading press.

Cost $385 + $10 S&H

I'll get some pics up soon, have some on the forum here allready somewhere. Should be ready by end of this week.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I also began work on some 308 die sets as well.

Thanks,

Brian

BT Sniper
08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1030110.jpg
Here is a complete 45 set I put together for prievious customer. It included the notch punch and extra FN nose punch for additional charge.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1030106-1.jpg
Here is a pic of the core seat base punch to show perfect alignment of the smaller 40 S&W brass jacket as it is supported and held centered while seating and expanding in the core seating die.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1030103.jpg
Here is some 280 grain 45s. made from the improved 45 cal dies I have to offer. They should perform very well.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

Saltydog53
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Tell me more about the .308 die sets. What cartridge is used to form the jackets?
Do you also have the die sets to make .429's from 40 S&W's?
Can I simply poor lead into a casing instead of inserting an already formed bullet?
Thanks!

uncleskippy
08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
I interested in a 308 die set and also a 38/357 set

BD
08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Any chance of a .452 set?

BD

BT Sniper
08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Lets see.

The 308s, made from a FN 5.7x28 works very well. I have posted info here with picks. Got 3/4" at 100 yrds.

Yes I can have 44 cal die for making bullets from 40 S&W brass availble any time.

I have a .357 die set to put together too. I can get you all set up there Skip :)

Yes it can be .452 I'll check the bullets aout of the die. Usually they are .001 tight and that allows for a little ware. How much you ask? Well I have a .429 with over 10k bullets out of it and still .430 or a hair less. If you like I can polish it to .452 but only after payment ofcourse.

Thanks got to go for now, dinner. I'll get back with you guys.

BT

buck1
08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Tell me more about the .308 die sets. What cartridge is used to form the jackets?
Do you also have the die sets to make .429's from 40 S&W's?
Can I simply poor lead into a casing instead of inserting an already formed bullet?
Thanks!

I highly recomend the .44 set. I love my set!![smilie=w:

par0thead151
08-25-2010, 01:04 AM
I highly recomend the .44 set. I love my set!![smilie=w:

how much more for the tools that makes the serrated lip?
is that just for aesthetics or does it aide in expansion?

bohica2xo
08-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Looks great Brian!

There are a lot of 45 shooters out there too.

B.

par0thead151
08-26-2010, 01:13 AM
just so i am understanding this.
there are only 2 steps in the press stage of making these?
cast the bullets, clean the brass, place bullet in the brass, run it through the two swagging dies, and wallah, 45 ACP HP ?

BT Sniper
08-26-2010, 04:10 AM
"Press stage" YES, two steps.

1. seat the core with the core seat die
2. form the bullet in the swage die "wallah"

As you stated you need cast bullets or whatever you chose to use for core.

Annealed brass, doesn't have to be shinny. Just like reloading, it doesn't have to look brand new just be free from dirt. Needs to be annealed to swell the .425 40 S&W case to the .451 of the new bullet. I don't worry about the rim with this bullet, keep it smaller to avoid unecessary stress on press and equipment. Granted if you can apply enough force the rim will make it to .451 no problem and I have certainly done so.

Then yes you are set to drop in and seat the core then swage the final bullet in the two dies provided with one stoke of the press in each die to finished bullet. It really is not very difficult. If you can reload you can make bullets. I have said it many times, I used to think there was a bit of magic involved with the complexity of making bullets. Now that I know other wise I feel like a magician. But of course don't take my word for it, there are many here that may feel the same way.

I may be willing in the future to send out sample bullets to those courious for the cost of shipping and handleing. But I will have to think on it a bit.

Please feel free to PM myself with any questions at any time. As always feel free to post on the sight here too.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
08-26-2010, 04:12 AM
ParO,

I'll have to get back to you on the notched tips. Bit late for now. I figue it aids and allows reliable expansion at lower velocities. Yes it does look very cool too :).

BT

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-26-2010, 07:56 AM
ParO,
I'll have to get back to you on the notched tips. Bit late for now. I figue it aids and allows reliable expansion at lower velocities. Yes it does look very cool too :). BT

BT,
I call it controlled expansion, but besides expansion, the "Pedals" of the peeling brass jacket create sharp edges which cut more flesh causing more trama for a quicker kill, especially for a shot not perfectly placed.
Jon

par0thead151
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
if you would be willing to mail out some samples i would be more than happy to pay postage + some for your effort.
I really like the idea of making my own HP's, but need to convince myself it is worth the 400$
also, to anneal the brass, that can be done on a grill? bring it up to 600-700F and then let it air cool?
thanks

edited to add:
i have never swagged any bullets before. how much pressure does one need to use when running them through these dies?
can a single stage rock chucker handle doing this job?

par0thead151
08-26-2010, 05:59 PM
how do you get a 400 grain weight?
would that be using lead rods cut to length?

buck1
08-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Annealing spooked me a bit, untill I did it. Its very easy.
I put my cases standing up in a dutch oven,cast iron fry pan, etc,, turn on the fire and when I can detect a slight red glow, shut them off and let cool. done.

Look at the ch4d sight for a idea of how swaging works, same process but bts custom parts are MUCH higher quality...Buck
http://www.ch4d.com/

zuke
08-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Now I have to come up with the money....:coffeecom

What size of thread do these die's use?

What press do you reccommend?

BT Sniper
08-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Standard 7/8-14 same as every other reloading press. As far as reccomended press any of the larger, stronger made (cast iron) reloading presses will work but I like the Lee Classic Cast for value and ease to upgrade, RCBS Rock Chucker can't go wrong as the old standby, and for all out strength the CH-4d swaging press looks pretty good but a lot more $.

Heavier bullets are obtained by drilling out existing molds to make heavier cores. I know I have done 400 grains in a bored out .459 version of these same dies with the 45 ACP case sized down but the 40 S&W case will make a great bullet from as small as you like up to about 325 to maybe 350 grains before a large amount of lead will be exposed at tip of bullet.

The notch punch is an extra $75- $100 depending on five or six petal version.

Yes BBQ works great for annealing brass. Unless you have a kennel (oven for glass and ceramics). I havn't found a better way to do a lot at one time. Fireplace works too from what I hear but don't have one.

BT

par0thead151
08-29-2010, 09:56 PM
any chance you would sell some of the bullets
maybe a lot of 5-10?
i would like to see them in person and try a few before investing 450$ in the dies(i would get the added cutting tool)
i assume copper and brass will have the same amount of wear on a barrel?
maybe even less as the brass will not leave residue behind? or does it?

BT Sniper
08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I'll send you a PM soon. We'll get a few samples sent your way. As far as wear.... I have had shooters say the brass cleaned out easier then standard jacket fouling. I have not noticed any difference and shoot it threw my collectable 44AMP. It is after all made of same materials with the brass vs. gilding metal (comercial jackets). Brass= 30% zink 70% copper and gilding metal= 5% zink and 95% copper as I understand it. I also read that the zink gives a bit of a lubricating effect, maybe this is a good thing?

BT

RangerNick
09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Brian, is this die set still available?

Ervin
09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Are the notch punches caliber specific?
Ervin

09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
BT next run of these I want one of these! hopefully i'll have the money then, given any more thought BT to a .14 caliber die set?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Are the notch punches caliber specific?
Ervin

BT, I was thinking this same thing.
Can I notch 40's with my 44 XTP clone seating die ?
Jon

a.squibload
09-05-2010, 06:49 PM
...Yes BBQ works great for annealing brass. Unless you have a kennel (oven for glass and ceramics)...

I'm sure you mean "kiln", not that I'm picky, just want to help.

Get your kennel to 700º and you'll have some angry pooches!

BT Sniper
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Finished the die set today. Works very well and makes some very good looking bullets. Made these on a RCBS rockchucker press with wheel weight alloy. The big 45 takes a bit of pressure to form but not bad. With pure lead cores it should be even easier to form. Die is .451 as sold in blank form from CH. These bullets came out at .450 which will give a very long life to these dies before any bullet would drop oversized.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45andcams013.jpg
A 175 grain .400 core, 40S&W jacket, seated core, formed bullet, and cross cut.

I imagine these will expand quite nicley and still maintain high weight retention. Bullet weight as shone is 250 grains. Certainly the 40 S&W jacket will alow anything from as light as you want to atleast 350 grains with some lead exposed. The die it's self will allow for atleast 425 grains as I used the same with a sized down 45 ACP and made some this weight.

These dies came together very well and are made to the same high degree of standards as all the rest of my improved heavy duty CH swage dies.

Price is $350 + $10 S&H.

Thanks

BT

Got a few ?s above I'll try to get to

BT Sniper
09-06-2010, 07:01 PM
"Kiln" Yep, wish I had one. Got a kennel just up the street :)

Notch punches caliber spicific?....... I make them to work best for caliber they are designed for but they may just work with smaller calibers too, ie. notch the 40 cal bullet with the 44 cal punch. Jon or myself will have to give it a try and see what happens. I imagine it could work and have certainly thought about a "one size fits all" notch punch but havn't perfected it yet.

Yes this set is now avialble and ready to ship till some one says "I'll take it" here or PM.

Thanks

BT

par0thead151
09-06-2010, 09:46 PM
"Kiln" Yep, wish I had one. Got a kennel just up the street :)

Notch punches caliber spicific?....... I make them to work best for caliber they are designed for but they may just work woth others too. Jon or myself will have to give it a try and see what happens. I imagine it could work and have certainly thought about a "one size fits all" notch punch but havn't perfected it yet.

Yes this set is now avialble and ready to ship till some one says "I'll take it" here or PM.

Thanks

BT

what is the expected number of bullets that can be swagged before the die wears out?

BT Sniper
09-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Good question.

I have a 44 cal die that has more then 5 thousand bullets threw it maybe close to 10. Bullets still drop at .430. Might have been closer to .429 when I first got it but it has seen alot of my tryle and error stages. I imagine I can get another 5-10k worth out of it before I notice any difference. Figure by the time you have made 10k worth of bullets it has certainly paid for it's self as all you would need to replace is the die body. The internial components I very much doubt will have any problems.

BT

Ickisrulz
09-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Annealing spooked me a bit, untill I did it. Its very easy.
I put my cases standing up in a dutch oven,cast iron fry pan, etc,, turn on the fire and when I can detect a slight red glow, shut them off and let cool. done.

Look at the ch4d sight for a idea of how swaging works, same process but bts custom parts are MUCH higher quality...Buck
http://www.ch4d.com/

Anyone not familiar with swaging using CH4D dies should go to ammosmith.com. He's got a three part video series on using these dies. CH4D has great products...but a very spartan website. They'd probably get more business with some updated graphics instead of their 1960's era black and white pictures.

BT Sniper
09-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Played with this die a bit tonight. Going to send out some bullets for testing. Made some very good looking 225 grain pills. Going to put together a notch punch for the XTP and Gold dot copy soon as well. Had to trim the 40 S&W case to get bullet less then 250 grains.

Here is a pic

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s002.jpg

Trimed 40 S&W jacket, 225 grain gold dot but still working on perfecting a bit more, 225grain SP, 250 grain, and untrimed 40 S&W case.

Should have some bullets back from testing in a few weeks. Die is still avialable.

Good shooting,

BT

BT Sniper
09-09-2010, 03:26 AM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45xtps004.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45xtps001.jpg

Same die just made a notch punch insert for the core seat die. Makes a very good XTP look a like bullet. Results from recovered bullets should be very good.

Takes three steps to form this bullet. Seat the core, notch the top of the jacket, for the bullet. Not that difficult and all can be done on a decent reloading press.

This additional notch punch is avialble with the set above. Nearly any bullet is possible with this set as you can see. PM me for price of complete set with punch if interested.

Thanks,

BT

Jailer
09-09-2010, 09:32 PM
First post here.

I had to register to ask, has anyone done any accuracy testing on these? How concentric is the lead core in the bullet out of the die? Just wondering if the jacket ends up thicker or thinner at certain points and if it has an effect on bullet travel.

I have access to a BUNCH of once fired .40 brass. This would make a great alternative to purchasing Hornady HAP bullets at $.15 a pop for IDPA.

Jailer
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Also would like to add that a .452 die would give some nice options to us 450 bushmaster reloaders. Hornady .452 bullets are very pricey.

sargenv
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Curious if I need to get a seating punch or if I can just use a similar setup I used on my 650 to seat cores in the 9mm to 40 operation? I'd prefer to keep from needing two dies and the two operations necc for each die (Not to mention the slightly lower cost of only a single die necc to make the bullets...) Most if not all of the cores I use are berm lead, air cooled to about 8-10 BHN.

bradbn4
11-19-2010, 09:51 PM
In a word - wow

Some real nice options to reuse some brass one last time - and no need to collect it for scrap.

Brad - In Colorado