PDA

View Full Version : Last of the H&G wadcutters sent downrange .....

Jack Stanley
08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I've been cleaning up the dungeon and one of the odds and ends I found was a few hundred H&G 107B wadcutters from a mold I used to have . Some got launched in the carbine and most were used in the model twenty-nine ... just like the old days :Fire:

As soon as I finished them I got into the little box of swaged hollow base wadcutters I made even longer ago . It sure did feel odd shooting the lightweight one fifty-fives after using the heavier stuff . They do seem to work good though , When I found them they had a coating of Corbin dip lube on them . I wasn't sure how that stuff would work so I added some liquid alox . No leading after eighty rounds so it seems to be doing it's job .

I think next I have some leftovers of a RCBS semi wadcutter mold that I haven't seen in years . Soon I'l be able to concentrate on casting and loading for the molds I have ... what a concept :roll:

Jack

Le Loup Solitaire
08-22-2010, 08:38 PM
The 107 mold made by H&G was made in three designs/models labeled A,B, &C. The C was the lightest @ 135 grains, the B was the middle guy @ 185 grains and the A was the heaviest @ 245 grains. I ave successfully used the B for many years with Unique in my 44 Mag. I use the NRA 50-50 alox beeswaxlube in one groove only. Burns clean and the recoil is mild. LLS

475BH
08-23-2010, 11:25 AM
The 107 mold made by H&G was made in three designs/models labeled A,B, &C. The C was the lightest @ 135 grains, the B was the middle guy @ 185 grains and the A was the heaviest @ 245 grains. I ave successfully used the B for many years with Unique in my 44 Mag. I use the NRA 50-50 alox beeswaxlube in one groove only. Burns clean and the recoil is mild. LLS

Not to change/steal the topic, but I bought some Penn .44 cal, 185gr. WC's and load them w/ w-231. They are so accurate, I find myself trying to consentrate more than I possibly can. Trying to make that next group smaller than the last.
W/ 3.5 gr. of w-231 the recoil is so weird, you load a big .44 round and the recoil is less than a .22. :confused:
Just love those things.

sagamore-one
08-23-2010, 06:08 PM
My 6 cavity 107 B is one mould I would never get rid of. Mine casts .430 + and shoots super in everything I've ever tried it with.

Jack Stanley
08-23-2010, 08:08 PM
My 6 cavity 107 B is one mould I would never get rid of. Mine casts .430 + and shoots super in everything I've ever tried it with.

I'm glad you're giving the mold a good and loving home . The bullet is a very accurate one .... accurate enough to irritate a few guys with more money into their target pistols than practice [smilie=l: Since I don't compete any more I can get by with a little heavier "cowboy" bullt and 44-40 performance .

Jack