PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Rebarrel?

280Ackley
08-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I have the opportunity to get a as new 110 for dirt cheap. Currently it is chambered for 270. Question. I want to use this a donor rifle to make a 35 whelen. Should I just rebarrel it or send it to JES for a rebore?:bigsmyl2:

Charlie Sometimes
08-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I think, Savage barrels are fairly interchangeable now. That big nut in front of the action allows for some very inexpensive caliber changes- as long as the case heads dimensions are the same, and in your case they are. That was one of the selling points that I read about within the last couple of years.

I don't know if they have ever made one chambered for 35 Whelen, or if the older model barrels would interchange with the newest models, though. Ask the Savage customer service techs or check their website (www.savagearms.com). Finding an older one in 35 Whelen might be easier, if they did make one. My gut is telling me they haven't made a new model in one yet, but I could be wrong.

Sounds like it ought to be a fairly inexpensive caliber change though. Good luck, and keep us posted. :smile:

jmsj
08-22-2010, 09:48 AM
280Ackley,
The Savage 110's are really easy to work on. I believe Midway or Brownell's sells a kit to swap barrels. The kit includes the barrel (Adams & Bennet I think), barrel nut wrench, go-no go gauges and instructions. jmsj

08-22-2010, 10:00 AM
easy to work on is right! i just did a barrel change for a friend to 6.5x55. it was fun actually.

Charley
08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Rebarrel it. Midway has their private label (rumored to be made by Shaw) .35 Whelen barrel on clearance now for less than $100. Barrel nut wrench, bench vise, and "go" gage will get you in business.

Thecyberguy
08-22-2010, 12:26 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/
Lots of good info here.
Have a good 'un, ~thecyberguy

JesterGrin_1
08-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes you can get the A&B ( Shaw ) Barrel from Midway for a good price. But other than head space and so forth you will have to open up the barrel channel on the stock.

You can look here between the size of a Marlin XL-7 270 barrel and the replacement A&B ( Shaw ) 35 Whelen. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91686&highlight=Whelen

But if you wish to pass on the cheap Savage :).

280Ackley
08-28-2010, 06:19 PM
The Savage is now resting comfortably in my safe. As I have never done a barrel installation, I am waiting on an old friend to get over hand surgery to assist me. I screwed up and waited to long to order the A&B from Midway that was on sale and will now have to pay full price. But the barrel swap is the way I have decided to go. Thank you for your kind offer to make a home for it, but I think I will keep it for a while.:D

JesterGrin_1
08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
280Ackley I was pulling your leg a bit lol. I also paid full tilt for the barrel I think it was $135.oo plus shipping. And just a thought but you might also look into a BOYD'S stock for it. They are not that expensive. But either way you will have to work on the barrel channel so the 35 Whelen barrel will fit correctly.

Have fun and looking forward to the finished product. :)

280Ackley
08-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I am considering a Boyd's stock. I have them on two other rifles one a light weight on a 722 that really makes it a great carry rifle and a thumbhole on a 257 that I had built several years ago. I like them both. I like the pillar bedding you did and I think I will do the same.:drinks:

JesterGrin_1
08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Great to hear you like the Boyd's Stocks as this is my first one. Or for that matter my first custom anything lol.