PDA

View Full Version : sore trigger finger

white eagle
08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
I ahve been shooting quite a bit lately my 44 maggie and my 45 colt
I have noticed that my trigger finger knuckle (on the hand)is very sore to the point of not being able to do the mechanics of trigger pull
that aint good boys
has that type of thing evah happened to any of you :Fire::(

ole 5 hole group
08-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Say it ain't so, White Eagle, can't believe you haven't fired those "heavy for caliber" bullets at light speed before. It'll take about 6 months of continued practice with those rounds to develop a "raised callus" on that knuckle. After that you’ll just keep peeling the top layer off the callus.

Rockydog
08-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Perhaps "Uncle Arthur" is paying a visit. After a couple of days of shooting 300 rounds at prairie dogs the arthritis sometimes bothers my trigger finger. Actually gets a little swollen. RD

mrbill2
08-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Quit Complaining.:kidding:

Bloodman14
08-21-2010, 10:15 PM
W.E., I love your avatar!

runfiverun
08-21-2010, 11:02 PM
with the shoulder problems i've develped over the years.
trap shooting and rifle shooting has to be kept to a minimum.
solution? i learned to shoot left handed.
and i now switch off with revolver shooting more frequently.
with the revolvers shooting left handed is a problem after an accident in which i have no feeling in the left index finger so i shoot with my middle finger.
looks funny but gets the job done with rifles and shotguns.
with revolvers i have to be extrememly careful to not let my index finger go up to the cylinder gap.

gray wolf
08-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Pain ?
We don't need no stinking pain.

Men we need a whole thread just for aches and pains. My back, my wrist, Oh and my thumb.
And that's before I go shooting.

cajun shooter
08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
It's a sad thing to think about. The older members of this forum are like myself and wake up with aches and pains that have to be worked out "BEFORE YOU SHOOT". Not like our younger days when it was only afterwards that a few small pains showed up.

frankenfab
08-22-2010, 01:36 PM
When I shoot the hard kickers quite a bit over a couple of days, it is my elbow joint that hurts, not my fingers or wrist.

thx997303
08-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Aches and pains?

Least you guys have the old age thing to blame it on.

jmsj
08-22-2010, 04:51 PM
white eagle,
I have been putting 7 day work weeks for the last 4 months + (not complaining, glad to have a job), today was the first day I had to go shooting.
While not haveing time to shoot I did have time to cast and load in the evenings. So today I went and shot a bunch. Fired 150 various .44 magnum loads alone, plus a bunch of .38 specials, .357 magnums, .45 Colts and 45 ACPs.
Didn't shoot one really super great target out of the whole bunch and my wrist is a little sore but I am glad that I have time to shoot again.

a.squibload
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Must have slept funny, woke up with trigger and middle fingers dead asleep, couldn't hardly move 'em. Glad nobody kicked the door in last night.
Also kink in neck from working over a bunch of battery terminals the other night. I guess.

Changeling
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
When I would go out and shoot 50 to 100 "Hot" rounds of 44 mag at a time I would get some pain in my trigger finger, so I started using a cushion type band aid called the "Sport Strip", it is water proof and stays where you put it. Fixed at least 80% of my problem.

casterofboolits
08-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I wake up with aches and pains and rejoice! [smilie=w:[smilie=w::drinks: Just means I get another day on this old earth that I can enjoy. Heck! Some days I even remember my name without looking at the label the wife sewed in all my clothes. [smilie=l:

Like the man said, Getting old ain't for the weak or faint of heart. :groner[smilie=s:

1Shirt
08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Yep, this gittin old bit just ain't for sissies!
1Shirt!:coffee:

mroliver77
08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I will be 50 if I live to Oct 1. I wrecked a car in 84? and broke my neck, back and arms plus a bunch of other cuts, bruises etc. The nerves were ripped out of my left arm and Docs said it would be a noodle forever. It atrophied badly and had very little feeling or use. Hard to keep a country boy down I worked with mostly one arm for a couple years. I hurt my back lifting and went to the Chiropractor to get fixed. After some Xrays he asked if I hads problems with left arm. I showed it to him and he was amazed! The first "adjustment" he performed felt like someone had shoved a hot wire up my arm. I was in awful pain for months afterword. Well I have after years of recovery a 80% arm and hand. Mebbe even a little more as it has continued to improve for 25 years.
Anyhow the neck deal ended up growing spurs on the bone and disks fell apart in neck and back resulting in surgery, screws and other metal in spine. I am better but suffer 24/7. Pain meds help but I live with pain. I awake multiple times a nite with numb fingers, hands or arms occasionally legs. Nerve pain, headaches, constipation from meds and memory problems are abundant! That is why I am on here at the darndest hours or sometimes napping at lunch time. Sometimes napping while on her.Hehe I am not sure what 20 years more will bring or if I am up to it. God blesseed me at 40 with a baby girl. It keeps me hoppin and a reason to try to get up in the morn.Casting, loading and shooting is done in spurts when I feel up to it. It keeps me somewhat sharp. Sorry to go on so but the pain posts hit a nerve.
Dang, Mr Bill done wore his trigger finger clear off! That's dedication!
Jay

hpdrifter
08-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Quit Complaining.:kidding:

I didn't see no "Attached Thumbnail". All I saw was a short finger.

mrbill2
08-28-2010, 08:58 AM
The thumbnail is on the bottom left in the picture. I wore the first part of the trigger finger away. No really.:-P:!:

AZ-Stew
08-28-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't get it. Everyone complains about the S&W "Target" stocks and the grooved "Target" trigger as causing undue wear and pain upon the hands. I don't have any problems with either, and I own a fair number of magnum revolvers so equipped. I have gotten a sore finger when bringing home a new revolver and working it through 1,500 double-action dry-fire cycles to settle the internal parts before I take it to the shop for an action job. But that's to be expected. 1,500 cycles in an hour or so would cause some pre-blistering regardless of the trigger style. Maybe Smith designed the grips and trigger for my hands. Or maybe, like Bill Jordan explains in "No Second Place Winner", my hands have conformed to the shape of the grips and trigger after 35+ years of shooting them. Regardless, I like them and will continue to shoot them. If you have such parts for K, L and N-frame Smiths and don't want them, please send them to me. I'll work with you on the postage.

On the other hand (no pun intended, but I'll take it anyway), I took my Centennial revolver to the range yesterday. It's a J-frame, all steel, 2" barrel. I had loaded some 358429, 173gr SWCs over a book maximum load (not +P) of WW 231. Those (50) loads just beat the absolute p**s out of my hand. The grip safety left a vertical bruise stripe in my palm, and today my hand feels like I was trying to drive nails with the palm yesterday. Nice little J-frame pocket gun. I really like it, but I think I'll look for a lighter boolit for target practice. None of my K, L or N-frame guns have done that to me with the Smith "Target" grips, regardless of the load.

Regards,

Stew