PDA

View Full Version : Storing boolits

Charlie Two Tracks
08-21-2010, 07:03 PM
I cast up a Folgers can of 125 gr. HP boolits today. I was wondering if I can store them in that can or is it too much weight on the bottom layers. They will be there for quite awhile. The mix is 50/50 isotope lead and water pipe lead.

lwknight
08-21-2010, 07:05 PM
You can stack and pack em high. Unless the cans are dropped onto concrete the weight will not matter. If it can stand 5 minutes then it will stand 5 years.
It would matter if they were going to be shipped and jostled around with soft lead.

qajaq59
08-21-2010, 07:20 PM
If they are in there lubed, you might want to keep them in a cool place so the lube doesn't get them all stuck together. Although you're in Illinois, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem there. Here in Florida it definitely was.

Doby45
08-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't lube until they are getting loaded for that very reason. :)

XWrench3
08-22-2010, 08:15 AM
i do it all the time. i sure wouldnt worry about it. once they are hard, that is the shape they are going to be until they hit something, or something hits them.:castmine:

gray wolf
08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
You got to shoot more and stack less.

Just joking men, I stack em all the time with no lube and it's not a problem.
I will probly cast 5 Thou. or more before the winter sets in and I don't worry bout them.

cajun shooter
08-23-2010, 10:09 AM
I use plastic sandwich size containers with lids here in Louisiana. They stack very well for keeping under benches and beds. If I'm loading for my friend who also shoots nothing but BP then I put them in one gallon freezer bags for the ease of handling in my truck. The containers want to slide all over and the bags stay put.

sqlbullet
08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I lube them, put them in plastic nut container (like you get at Sam's or Costco) and then put them in the freezer. The lube doesn't get to runny while they are in there:-)

Doby45
08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
and beds.

That right there is funny, I don't care who ya are..

Markbo
08-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Just to piggy back on this... I have lubed and unlubed bullets in my garage and it gets h.o.t. HOT. 110° is possible daily.

I know when I handle them if they need to be re-lubed, but what about loaded cast bullets? Should they be stored only inside/cooler places?

1Shirt
08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Markbo, You need to find a better place to store than in your garage with high temps. Suggest basement if you have one, or if not some much cooler place in your house. Even the very hard lubes will get a bit on the softer side at 110.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Doby45
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I store all my bulk ammo in my master bedroom walk in closet in a big ole footlocker. Nice constant temp, readily available, secure..

qajaq59
08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
If you can get an old fridge at a thrift place, that would work well. Plus you could pad lock it. And since you'd rarely open it, it wouldn't burn much electricity.

Bret4207
08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm cheap. I store boolits in coffee cans, baggies, zip locks, boxes, gallon jugs, whatever I can dig up. I've never stacked boolits that I can recall. To me that's just way too much work. Yes, I'm cheap and lazy. I tend to worry more about keeping them clean and grit free and identified. Nothing worse than having a box of .311 180's and .310 182's get mixed up! I also tend to size and load rather than size and store. I don't know why, just do.

Living in the cool humid northeast, melting lubes is rarely a problem. I do however store all my moulds in an old, dead fridge. Keeps the rust down.

Mk42gunner
08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I tend to use whatever is handy when I cast boolits. Coffee cans work for the larger bolits, plastic peanut butter jars seem to be the most common. Since I have started casting 22 and 25 cal boolits, I have been using the three for a dollar snack containers from the grocery store, they stack reasonably well; plus it takes forever to fill up a quart or gallon container.

I really like using new steel paint cans, (they have lids and are strong enough to stack),but my source dried up.

I am one of the lube and load crowd, especially since my version of FWFL seems to be a little soft and gooey once it is on the boolits. It works well, so I am not going to try to stiffen it. I may try a little more beeswax to the next batch.

Robert