PDA

View Full Version : Question on Taiwanese .30 Carbine ammo

Doug Bowser
08-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I have 700 rounds of Nationalist Chinese .30 M1 carbine ammo. It was made at Kao Hsiung Arsenal code is 60A mfg 1960. Is this ammo corrosive?

Doug Bowser

Mk42gunner
08-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Doug,

I have a simple way of treating surplus ammo; if it is not proven to be non-corrosive, treat it as corrosive.

All U.S. .30 Carbine ammo is supposed to be non-corrosive, I wouldn't bet my gun on the foriegn stuff.

Robert

Doug Bowser
08-21-2010, 04:37 PM
You are correct.

Doug

Frank46
08-22-2010, 11:26 PM
There were two headstamped versions of korean made 30 M1 carbine ammo sold back a few years ago. The KA which is corrosive and the PS which is non corrosive. Frank

Shiloh
08-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Doug,

I have a simple way of treating surplus ammo; if it is not proven to be non-corrosive, treat it as corrosive.

All U.S. .30 Carbine ammo is supposed to be non-corrosive, I wouldn't bet my gun on the foreign stuff.
Robert

Good advice. Priced Carbine barrels and parts recently?? I shoot corrosive from a Mauser occasionally. Clean immediately and you are fine.

SHiloh

Mk42gunner
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Good advice. Priced Carbine barrels and parts recently?? I shoot corrosive from a Mauser occasionally. Clean immediately and you are fine.

SHiloh

Back in the early nineties one of my friends and I each had one of the first bunch of Russian SKS's. We shot a lot of the cheap steel cored Chinese ammo that was labelled non-corrosive. It should have been labelled mildly corrosive, buit at least we caught it before it was too late.

After that we made sure to clean the guns the same day, and flush them with water. It only adds a few minutes to cleaning a gun to make sure.

Robert