PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 load needed

Tatume
08-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Hello Folks,

Some parts of the year I have time to test loads, and other times I'm lucky to get to the range at all. Right now I'm in a crunch. If I can get to the range, I'd like to try two loads using the LBT 350 gr gas-check M bullet in the Marlin 1895G. The loads are safe, but I'm concerned they may be too powerful to be accurate. Opinions are solicited. Alternative loads are also solicited.

Starline cases, CCI BR primers,
350 gr LBT gas check M bullets with Hornady gas checks and LBT Soft Blue lube:
40.0 gr H4198
50.0 gr IMR-3031

The alloy is wheelweights with a handful of linotype added per 20 lb pot.

Thanks, Tom

Tatume
08-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Well, hearing nothing, I prepared 20 each of these loads. When I get a day I can go to the range I'll try them. If there's interest, I'll share results.

btroj
08-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Part of why you heard nothing is because we don't know what you are looking for. A plinking load? A moose load? Target shooting?
People here are very willing to help but you need to ask very concise questions. I have seen too many people get no results when asking " I need a load for X".
In my Marlin I shoot a variety of loads. Just got a bear with 48 gr 322 and a 405 plain base. I use the same bullet with 24 gr 2400 for a general use load. For light loads I have used 13 or so gr of Trailboss.
As you can see there is no one load.
Try the search function also. I guarantee that you will find a ton of load suggestions for 45-70. It is a pretty popular cartridge around here.
Brad

BrianB
08-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I have not used the 4198, but I have loaded some with 3031. From what I have seen, the 45-70 is pretty accurate no matter how powerful the load. (So long as it is a safe published load, which you are using)

Looks to me like the 3031 load you have is pretty middle-of-the-road for that gun and should be shooting at about 1,600+ fps. Accuracy should be fine for hunting, I would think. A buddy of mine uses 3031 in his 1886 and reports excellent accuracy with the Lyman 293 gr. bullet.

If you have any accuracy issues, try Reloder-7. It is said to be the best powder for the 45-70 and has always been a tack-driver for me no matter what load/bullet I used.

It is just an inherently accurate caliber, it will probably be plenty accurate no matter what you use. I would just find a load that didn't kick too much!

Tatume
08-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Brad,

What I'm looking for is feedback on whether or not my loads are going to be too hot to be accurate. I'm willing to give up speed in favor of accuracy.

Thanks, Tom

Tatume
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Brian,

Your note is very encouraging. The 3031 load filled the case to the base of the bullet, which I think is a good sign. There is right much air in the 4198 cartridges. I'll certainly try RE-7 if these don't work out, but I now have high hopes.

Thanks, Tom

Shooter6br
08-22-2010, 11:50 AM
I used H322 for my Ruger NO 1 with 350 g Ranchdog. This powder seems to achieve good velocity and accuratcy. Meters great. i usually use whatever powder i have at home.

Tatume
08-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Shooter,

Hmmm. I happen to have a lot of H322 on hand, as I use it in the 6mmPPC. I may try some soon.

Thanks, Tom

btroj
08-22-2010, 12:11 PM
If I were just shooting paper I would go to a load in the 1300 to 1400 fps range. Much easier on the shooter. For that velocity I really like 2400.
If you are looking for a hunting load, I would stay where you are. My bear load gave me some leading after 20 or so rounds but I only cared how it shot for one or two.
You need to decide what velocity range you want then find a powder/charge that gives you what you want. I have shot 1700 fps with 4895, target, 748, and 322 so there is no magic powder.

Again, decide what velocity you want then find a way to achieve it. For lower end velocity you have almost too many choices. Again, 2400 has always worked well for me in the 24 gr range with 350 to 405 gr boolits.

You also need to decide what you consider accurate. For my bear and deer hunting I will never shoot past 50 yards due to heavy cover so I only look for a load that works well enough at those ranges. I am very happy with a 2 inch group at 50 for these purposes. If I want a lever action silohuette load- I go for a better group at longer ranges but worry less about speed.

Brad

bigted
08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
42 gr rl-7 ...350gr horn...large rifle prime...rem case... = around 1600 fps. now i know that cast will run a small bit faster then jacketed.

this load just quartered thru a 3 year old moose taking out the far side shoulder and exited fully expanded........moose took seven faltering steps and DRT.

this load is accurate at 50 yds being able to go into 1 to 1 1/2 inch [ if we do our part] being plenty accurate for what it is intended for.......putting meat in the freezer

good luck and yes we are interested in your load developement and the accuracy as well as the tooth condition after half dozen shots...lol. i know im watching for your next reply...thanks for starting this post.

Ted

delt167502
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I use 2400 for the light loads with the 330 gr.fp. I have tried H 110 ,it doesn'tseem to give as good groups as the 2400 .for heavy loads H 4198 gives the best groups compared to RL-7.I have taken several deer using 4198 , but each has to be shot to tell. as being to powerful ,its what you can handle and hit with. The game don't care how fast the bullet was traveling, when it missed him. just my two cents. good hunting.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Tatume,

Good to see your question, as I am working up hunting loads for my RUGER #1s - 45/70.

As such, am working with a bit higher velocity as I hope for a load good enough to bring meat home out to about 200yds.

I found 3031 to be a problem at my load levels. Overly bulky and wouldn't allow the boolits to seat to proper depth.

The LBT Soft Blue was not giving groups quite as good as my home brew and I was havng some fliers with both.

A generious reader supplied me with a sample of Felix lube, so will try that soon.

Have been working lately with IMR 4198 of late.

Shyed away from R7 due to some listing saying I would need a filler.

Don't want to go there.

later,

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

missionary5155
08-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Good morning
Find out what your throat diameter is in your Marlin and size .001+ over that if you want accuracy. Me I would start at .002 oversized IF your chamber will permit that diametr boolit.

Tatume
08-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Hello Folks,

Today I was able to shoot the 45-70 ammo I loaded. The IMR-3031 loads produced a five-shot average velocity at five yards of 1749 fps with ES of 66 fps. H4198 produced 1734 fps with an ES of 48 fps. Five-shot groups at 50 yards with a Lyman receiver sight were good, with 1.5” for IMR-3031 and one inch even for H4198. Recoil in the Marlin 1895G (an older one with ported barrel) was comfortable. I have installed a Pachmayr Decelerator pad on this rifle, which helps a lot.

The H4198 load is my choice. If I wanted more speed, I could take it up considerably, but I'm satisfied where I am. With excellent accuracy and sufficient speed, I'm confident it will kill like lightening.

Take care, Tom

9.3X62AL
08-27-2010, 06:25 PM
1" @ 50 yards, and 1750 FPS ZIP Code? Only one thing left to do......go hunting.

bwarren86
11-30-2010, 03:18 AM
42 gr rl-7 ...350gr horn...large rifle prime...rem case... = around 1600 fps. now i know that cast will run a small bit faster then jacketed.

this load just quartered thru a 3 year old moose taking out the far side shoulder and exited fully expanded........moose took seven faltering steps and DRT.

this load is accurate at 50 yds being able to go into 1 to 1 1/2 inch [ if we do our part] being plenty accurate for what it is intended for.......putting meat in the freezer

good luck and yes we are interested in your load developement and the accuracy as well as the tooth condition after half dozen shots...lol. i know im watching for your next reply...thanks for starting this post.

Ted

for light loads i love 2400 for heavy loads a dangerous game i use h322

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, I see things are still progressing in at least some quarters.

I tried the Felix lube and while it may have given a few less fliers then the LBT Blue, that is not the answer to my smaller groups.

Also tried the RL#7 and at the load level I have tested, there is no need for fillers.

Groups were as good or better then other powders tested and velocities well up there.

Velocities ---- well the load I used to take my first cast boolit critter this Fall left the barrel of the RUGER #1, at 2290fps with a 355gr LBT/WFN.

The results on this one critter were to awsome to say the least, but sure wish I could harvest a bunch more to see the results.

Present conditions are not such that it is even barely enjoyable to spend time on the bench and with more of the white stuff falling as we speak that will likely be some months out.

At that point, more tests will begin with the goal to shrink the groups. Velocities are great at this point, but within reason, will probably let group size make the final call on the final outcome in that department.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot