PDA

View Full Version : New to handguns

kbstenberg
08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I have to fess up:groner: Tonight i shot my pistol for the first time double action.
I'm wondering if my R/ RH has a problem. During the trigger pull just before the hammer falls there is a metallic click that can be felt but not heard.
I dry fired my RH, an the click can be felt every time in the same part of the pull.
When cocking to shoot single action, or pulling the trigger single action the click cant be felt
The gun is a year old Super RH in 44 mag.
Kevin

hoosierlogger
08-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a SRH in .44 Mag also and havent noticed what you are describing. Sounds like it could be a burr on the inner workings. Have you taken apart the gun yet to investigate.

crabo
08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Make sure it is unloaded and watch tv and dry fire it double action until your wife threatens bodily harm. Then do it some more. It should probably slick up some.

kbstenberg
08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I have never been inside any firearm. Ive watched the ruger website on disassembly. How much trouble can i get in ? I am fairly good mechanically. Besides deer season is 3 months away. I should have everything back together by then.:kidding:
Kevin

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Yes, that is normal.

When you shoot double action pull the trigger back to that point, then the rest of the trigger pull is basically the same as single action . . . kinda like a let off point on a compound bow . . . all my DA's do it!

Practice dry firing it, till you can stop at that point . . . better sight picture . . . with out the trigger pull of DA.

Does it on my Security Six, SP101, Super Redhawk Alaskan

buck1
08-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Make sure it is unloaded and watch tv and dry fire it double action until your wife threatens bodily harm. Then do it some more. It should probably slick up some.

+! this is always a good idea, its break in.

crabo
08-20-2010, 10:47 PM
+! this is always a good idea, its break in.

I've never had to buy a new TV, but there has been more than one upgrade happen this way.

454PB
08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I think what you are "sensing" is the cylinder lock bolt dropping into the cylinder recess.

docone31
08-20-2010, 10:58 PM
If you have a tutorial, if you have the proper tools, if you can do the work without messing it up, then you can remove the parts, lay them in the proper order untill the entire action is out.
Then, after deburring, cleaning, you can put them back in, in the exact order, with proper torque. You should have thread locker also. I prefer the Loctite Blue.
Make certain, you can find small parts if they flip. Make sure your tools are sharp. Make sure you go slowly, and follow the exact directions.
Make sure your screw drivers are exact fit. You do not want to show you have been in there by making Norgers out of your screw heads, or slipping and marking the finish.
You can do it, just go slowly, and carefully.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Only screw driver needed to take apart a SRH is to remove the grip . . . no thread locker needed . . . very easy to take a part!

On a new to me gun I take a few pictures at different stages, to "remember" where everything is supposed to be!

btroj
08-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Where am I supposed to put the locktite in my SRH? Like Benz said, only need to remove 1 screw, then it is all down hill. Toughest part for me is getting the hammer and trigger to line up for reassembly while keeping the transfer bar where it belongs.
Typical of Ruger- it is easy to take apart and put back together.

kbstenberg
08-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for your advice. All good inf. I will trudge on with no misgivings. Benz i especially like your adv. about the pictures.
Being a newbe. Is it best to have a pro. Gunsmith do a trigger job. I have no small stones for polishing. But i do have up to 1000grit paper i use to sharpen chisels.
kevin

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-21-2010, 09:31 PM
When I got my first one, I just took it apart like the manual shows . . . took some 600 grit paper and smoothed up any area that looked like it was rubbing . . . my wife's Security Six was so bad I mixed up some baking soda and olive oil into a thick tooth paste, and filled the inside of the gun up, covered EVERYTHING, and put it back together, dry fired it about 1100 - 1200 times, ( gook was oozzing out of everywhere!) took it all apart, and cleaned it, put it back together dry fired it another 200 times, and took it apart and cleaned it again, then oiled it lightly, and it's been running like a Swiss watch ever since!

You'll never get rid of that little click, it is part of the gun, most people don't even know it is there, as when they shoot DA they go by it too fast!

MT Gianni
08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Remember when dis-assembling anything, a camera is your friend.

Angus
08-27-2010, 06:26 PM
That click is the cylinder locking up after it has rotated into place. I can reproduce it very easily on my SRH if I pull the trigger back halfway, very quickly in DA. If you are feeling it, you may be wrenching your trigger back a bit fast. Slow down, and it will most likely tighten up your shooting considerably.