PDA

View Full Version : New

fubar
08-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I have just registered with this forum, and would like to say Hi to all. I have never cast a boolit in my life. Been reloading for 25 years, but never cast. This is the best forum I have ever read. So much knowledge, and so free with it.this will be fun!!! As soon as my pot gets here I will be ready to start. I got a million questions. Hope I don't drive anyone nuts with them.
Again hi to everyone, and have a great day.

docone31
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
You gonna like the folks here.
If you are serious, they will take time to explain.
A lot of learning here.

Ole
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Welcome!

I was in your shoes 16 short months ago and I can tell you making usable bullets out of junk is a really good feeling. :mrgreen:

theperfessor
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome! Lots of people here with various interests here, enough to help you out no matter what your problems, and of course to share your successes. Enjoy the addiction.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Warning!

This is hard to turn off, you are gonna be hooked for life! Your house will become over run with molds, lead, handles, sizing dies . . . loob . . . you will live lead!

You will probably not save money, but . . . you will enjoy the vast quantities of money you do spend . . . because it will go further!

Welcome to the addiction!

When I first started one year ago I figured one mold, and tumble lube . . . I'll not let you talk to me wife! Good thing I got a raise this year!

08-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Welcome.

*****...brings back some old memories.

Back on topic, do yourself a huge favor and spend as much time gleaning as much knowledge as you possibly can, from these two very informative sites:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

crabo
08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91298

Bloodman14
08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I'll give you the same advice I give to all the new guys;
1. Read the "Stickies".
2. Read them again!
3. Get a copy of Richard Lee's 'Modern Reloading', and read it twice.
4. Get Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual and read it twice.
5. I would get a sub. to "Handloader" magazine.

Others may wish to add/edit this list; Mods, feel free to make this a "Sticky" if there isn't one.

runfiverun
08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
do like gunnard suggests on the books, that'll get you at least a working knowledge.
kinda like a j.r. high education.
the rest comes from looking into the posts that make you go "is this guy crazy"?
floor wax? water? no tin? really.
oh yeah, and be specific with questions.

welcome.

Muddy Creek Sam
08-21-2010, 11:01 AM

What part of NC you in? Probably someone right next to you that would be glad to help get you started.

Sam :D

Ohio Rusty
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
You'll be addicted now !! Last weekend I parked the car at a busy intersection because there were two wheel weights laying in the middle median !! Yep ...I got 'em.
Every big pothole I look to see if there are any orphan wheel weights laying around ..... I told my wife I need a big bumper sticker that says "THIS CAR STOPS FOR WHEELWEIGHTS" .... then people wouldn't look at me funny.

Melting and casting is definitely an addiction .... Then you start realizing there are moulds ... millions of different kinds ... then you need different calibers to go with those moulds, so the gun collection starts growing .....
It never ends .... It only gets better .... Welcome to the list.
Ohio Rusty ><>

HeavyMetal
08-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I'll also add my Welcome!

I'll also second the be specific statement, kinda tough to help when the question reads:

I'm leading what did I do wrong?

Bear in mind there are no stupid questions but be prepared for some wild answers sometimes.

Why not do your second post on what you want to cast for?

I will suggest you start with one gun and work with it until you've gotten a handle on some of the basic's down.

D Crockett
08-21-2010, 11:43 AM
***** you will need some basic stuff to get you started casting (1) wheel weights (2) a smelting pot to melt the wheel weights in (3) flux to clean your wheel weights (4) ingot moulds (5) a magnet to get the clips out of the liquid lead with I can help you with #2,3,4,5 if you want me to give me a pm and we will talk about it D Crockett

AZ-Stew
08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I find it hard to believe that we have 17 members less than 15,000 and this is the first "*****". Amazing!

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask questions.

Regards,

Stew

gray wolf
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
A big welcome from me, from Maine.
Well the boys have set you on the correct path so far. Stay with us and you will be fine.
Enjoy the hobby/sport and be safe in what you do.

Sam

Cherokee
08-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Anorther welcome to ya !!!

Recluse
08-21-2010, 08:59 PM
A big welcome from us casters down here in Texas.

Good advice so far--read the stickies. The majority of initial questions you'll have will be addressed and answered in them.

The other thing the stickies do is help you better phrase your questions that you're going to have--and have them you will. We all did. The base "book knowledge" that the stickies will give you will get you 80% of the way there without even having to talk to us.

But we're a sociable bunch and we like talking, so don't be shy.

And likewise, we also like to share, so if you discover something that works well for you, or an idea that works well--could be anything from how to flux to where to find cheap lead--please share. That's how we all continue to learn and grow and enjoy this endeavor--by sharing our knowledge, experience and ideas.

Again, welcome.

:coffee:

Mk42gunner
08-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I find it hard to believe that we have 17 members less than 15,000 and this is the first "*****". Amazing!

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask questions.

Regards,

Stew

Now Stew, you know this guy is just the first to admit it.

Seriously *****, welcome aboard. Like has been said, read the stickies and search for your question; if its still not clear in your mind, ask away.

LIke I told another new member a few days ago-- I would rather read a thousand new guy posts than one aw ^&*( post that was preventable.

Robert

fubar
08-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Hello all.
Thank all of you for the warm welcome I received. Really made me feel like I belonged here. I think I have everything to start casting in the next few days. I'm already hooked and haven't cast the first boolit. I have a source for lead that might be of interest. After working for the railroad for 40 years and being stopped at road crossings a lot I would walk around the edges of the crossing and find wheel weights. I could always pic up a sack full anytime. Just an idea, but it works for me.
Again thank all of you for making me feel at home here. Let you know how my first melting goes. Take care and be safe.

Moonie
08-23-2010, 10:36 AM
*****, please do let us know where in NC you live, we have a number of casters here in NC and I'm sure I speak for everyone that we will be happy to help in person if you live fairly close to one of us.

skeet1
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
You are right this is a great forum. I had cast for many years and thought that I had a fair knowledge of the subject but the more I read here the more I learned. It is now obvious to me that you never learn it all. I guess that is what makes this such a great place to hang out.

Skeet1

R.C. Hatter
08-23-2010, 10:56 PM
:coffeecom: Welcome to you from the E. KY hill country...you'll find a wide variety of helpful folks here that can help you a lot. Be sure to subscribe to the "Handloader" magazine, get the latest Lyman cast boolit manual, and any old ones. This will put you ahead, knowledge wise. Also, if you're not an NRA member, please join !

fubar
08-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Moonie I am from a small town called Hamlet NC. Its in the southern part of the state. Nobody has ever heard of it.

Moonie
08-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I have, I know exactly where it is. My in-laws live in Laurinburg. You are about an hour and a half from me.

cajun shooter
08-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Welcome from another Southern member. If this keeps going we might have enough of us to finally win that war of Northern Aggression. Ha!! Ha!! As has been pointed out please take time to read the sticky section and find and read all the posatings by Glen Fryxell. Buy a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Take Care David

Muddy Creek Sam
08-24-2010, 10:21 AM

My Katie has relatives in Hamlet. Know any Watson's up that way?

Sam :D