PDA

View Full Version : table with sight heights variations that

kennisondan
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
correlate to maximum point blank aim / minimum point blank aim distances. for instance with a rear sight height line of sight at one inch over the bore what is recommended height for the front sight if the range minimums and maximums are say 30 yards to 300
or
50 -600. the fronts are sold short med. and high mounts... with a ladder rear , there must be some reason for the different height fronts?
what is the difference or limitations / advantages of the short, med. or tall mounting of the front globe sight ?
I was thinking about the larger front globe sights as a compromise between staying with a blade sight and going with the lyman 17 front I hear some are larger and with better optical function by letting in more light. I would think that for a gun that will mostly target shoot but will also deer hunt, that adjustable large aperature sights front and rear would suffice. If I have to choose between hunting grade sights and target grade that are used for hunting I will take the latter for now... unless and untill i learn better..
thanks for your insights on your front sights... I am sure you will be a dam sight helpful so line it up for me riflemen, I aim to do this right as possible now.
thanks
dan kennison

Tom-ADC
08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Do a search on Brownells website they have a chart where you plug in the required numbers and they tell you proper heights.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight_Height_Calculator

Don McDowell
08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
You really need to decide what sort of shooting you're going to do with this rifle. Then choosing the sights will be easier.
If you're going to do long range bpcr type stuff, then you need the lowest front sight you can get, so you don't have to use as much of the rear sight staff. A lower front sight will help you keep a good "cheek weld" on the stock which will help keep the elevation impact of your bullets at long range a bit more consistant.
For hunting the blade and buckhorn or ladder rear sight serve about as good as any.
Fortunately it's a simple thig to swap from a front globe to the blade, if you have the barrel rear sight and the tang sight both mounted at the same time.

kennisondan
08-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I like the ideas presented. I think I may just leave two sets of sights on the rifle and see how I like that... I may find a deal on my good tang sights and the wait will be over.. even if the target sights would be a little harder to use .. I accept that .. but it is a real possibility that I would trade out front sights if I feel the need to do so..

at first I am just going to shoot, my range will not provide over 200.. then I am going to pack it with me for deer at the lease for about a third of the season all told; a third I will hunt with a pistol; and a third I will hunt with my ruger no. 1 270... the encore will steal a little rifle and pistol time as it is a crossbreed, sort of long pistol with a 3-8 rifle cartridge.. After that I am going to hunt up some shoots with locals shooting long range rifle or something for an excuse to shoot it or will just target shoot at the same place I will sight and practice with it.. so I will start off short range target, then some small amount of hunting, and then back to target, then to more serious target, then .. start over.. or do them all at once..
I know.. I know.. I will need two...
I am working on it.. sheesh !!!
lol
dk

jlchucker
08-21-2010, 09:07 AM
The table idea may work to a point, but you'll never really know until you shoot at the range you are setting up for, and the load you are using.

cajun shooter
08-27-2010, 10:36 PM
From what you have posted about the way you intend to shoot the rifle I would go for a front sight that was in the middle of the range given.A good all around type of sight. Dont overlook the BPCR front sights that have inserts and many will have wind adjustment that helps out that rear.

kennisondan
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I have a Kelley Soule rear and Kelley front coming next week .. then it is on.
lol
I intend to call you the week after that to catch up Dave.. looking for a group buy on powder if it is time for you to get some too.
dk