PDA

View Full Version : 45 Ruger BH needs trigger work BAD!

Changeling
08-20-2010, 05:12 PM
I have seen several places on the Internet for correcting the Ruger BH's trigger. Mine is so bad that you pull and pull and pull! You become so conscience of the trigger that you mentally forget the sight picture!!
I have never did any real trigger work on any fire arm except for changing springs that did basically nothing.

Is the Ruger 45 trigger work best left to an expert or is it something a novice can master with out problems?

John Taylor
08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
If it's a late model the first thing to try is unhook one side of the trigger spring. This will cut the spring tension in half. If that's not enough then stoning the sear ( trigger) and sear notch are next. This takes some skill and patience and having a trigger pull gauge is helpful.

chboats
08-21-2010, 10:59 AM
You might try www.gunsprings.com. I installed a set my self with no problem. The Ruger web sight has detailed instructions for disassembly and assembly. What a difference it made.

Carl

andremajic
08-28-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.gunbooks.com/ruger.html

Jerry Kuhnhausens book on Ruger revolvers will teach you everything you'd EVER want to know about your revolver, including trigger job, accurizing, etc.

It goes into exhaustive detail about every aspect of the firearm. Can't recommend it enough.

24.00 really isn't that much to pay. Mistakes are a lot more expensive and embarrassing.

Changeling
08-30-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.gunbooks.com/ruger.html

Jerry Kuhnhausens book on Ruger revolvers will teach you everything you'd EVER want to know about your revolver, including trigger job, accurizing, etc.

It goes into exhaustive detail about every aspect of the firearm. Can't recommend it enough.

24.00 really isn't that much to pay. Mistakes are a lot more expensive and embarrassing.

This book is for Ruger double action revolvers.

jmsj
08-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Changeling,
Is the trigger pull to heavy or too much creep?

EDK
08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Jim Stroh at ALPHA PRECISION does an excellent trigger job...unfortunately the quality of his work makes a factory stock trigger feel really unacceptable.

For a temporary fix, un-hook one leg of the trigger return spring. Replacing the trigger return and main springs with WOLF springs is some better. BUT the best cure is a trigger job by a high end professional pistolsmith. Mr. Stroh works his magic and then re-hardens the trigger and hammer so you retain that good trigger pull you paid for. I have had zero problems with the guns he has done for me over the past 20+ years.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

bbs70
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I bought my 45 Blackhawk new, it came with an 8 lb trigger pull.
Had a gun smith work on the gun and now I have a 2 1/2 lb crisp, no creep trigger.
What a difference it makes, I can actually hit the target now.[smilie=l:
It was money well spent.

Changeling
09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Well guys you see the problem is if I ship off the revolver for trigger work the local sport store charges $75.00 to ship and the same for receiving, that right there is $150.00 plus what the revolver smith charges!

Then the smiths don't want to lower the trigger more than 3 #, 2.5 # at most because of lawsuits!
I have no intention of paying $150.00 for shipping and receiving, plus smith fees to get back a trigger with a 3 lb let off!! That is not even sufficient let off for a great trigger! This is why I do not want to send my revolver off.

bob208
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
another thing to look at is the transfer barr where it slips up over the firing pin. some times there is a burr or squire edge so it does not want to slip up. on the early transfer guns the barr was a little longer so that it was up when the hammer was cocked. it was later changed to rise when the trigger was pulled.

EDK
09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Jim Stroh will ship your pistol back for approximately $25 to YOUR address.

The local dealer will ship your gun at a cost of less than $25 via US post office; making about $50 on the deal. You need to find someone who isn't so greedy! Go to gunbroker, etc. and see what shipping costs are on a handgun purchase...my last one was $15...$25 or $30 is average.

Mr. Stroh has done multiple RUGERS for me, with results between 2.5 and 3 pound trigger pulls. Any lesser trigger weight might be dangerous for an average shooter.

When the common carriers (United Parcel Service, Fed-Ex, etc.) decided to require pistols to be shipped next day air (because of employee theft problems) they eliminated the gunsmiths' "bread and butter" income from the $100 or less trigger jobs. $10 shipping each way versus $75 or more made a lot of us live with a bad trigger...or wait until other work was required. My answer is to ship two or more pistols at one time.

Sometimes life just ain't very fair.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

David2011
09-02-2010, 01:13 AM
After a talk with the local UPS staff they pointed out that handguns have to be shipped "Next Day" but NOT any kind of priority. The cheapest next day delivery is acceptable. If you are shipping to an FFL licensed gunsmith you can go to UPS and ship it yourself and he can legally return it directly to you.

David

Changeling
09-05-2010, 01:27 PM
After a talk with the local UPS staff they pointed out that handguns have to be shipped "Next Day" but NOT any kind of priority. The cheapest next day delivery is acceptable. If you are shipping to an FFL licensed gunsmith you can go to UPS and ship it yourself and he can legally return it directly to you.

David

This I didn't know, thank you very much.

andremajic
09-06-2010, 10:11 AM
This book is for Ruger double action revolvers.

Sorry, I was in a rush. Here's the correct book:

http://www.gunbooks.com/ruger_sa.html

swheeler
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
"I have never did any real trigger work on any fire arm except for changing springs that did basically nothing."

????????????? I've got Wolfe kits in a BH convertable and single six, both have 30 oz or just under pull, 100% reliable ignition and what an improvement over stock 5-6 lb pull. Several "pistolero's" have commented on what nice triggers, who did the trigger job? They look surprised when I say I did, 15 minutes and 15.00.

swheeler
09-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Looks like they will be in stock for you SOON

Click to Zoom Wolff Shooter's Spring Pack Ruger Bisley, Blackhawk, Single Six, Super Blackhawk, Vaquero Reduced PowerProduct #: 576080Manufacturer #: 17116
3 stars Read Reviews (4) Write a Review

Date expected in stock: 9/27/2010
$12.99

outdoorfan
09-07-2010, 01:58 AM
????????????? I've got Wolfe kits in a BH convertable and single six, both have 30 oz or just under pull, 100% reliable ignition and what an improvement over stock 5-6 lb pull. Several "pistolero's" have commented on what nice triggers, who did the trigger job? They look surprised when I say I did, 15 minutes and 15.00.

BINGO!!! The Wolf spring should easily get you in the 2-2.5 lb range. There are different Wolf springs , each one being for a lighter or heavier pull. Or, you could modify the factory spring using this method: http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

Char-Gar
09-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Changling.. You received some bad advice about mailing firearms via the USPS. You can mail long guns (rifles and pistols) to have work done on them IF they are to be returned to you. That does not apply to handguns. They cannot be mailed except from one FFL holder to another FFL holder.

If you do as suggested and remove the grips and unhook one side or the other of the top leg of the spring, your trigger pull problems will go away with you pistol. All it takes is a small screwdriver to remove the grips and flip the leg off the frame stud. No gunsmithing abilities needed.

jmsj
09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
outdoorfan,
I have done a few trigger jobs on Rugers before but did not know that spring bending trick.
good link, http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html
I printed this off today and after work tried it out on a Biley SBH I'm working on. I had already dropped one leg on the trigger return spring, I think the method in the link works a little better.
Now just a little more creep to get out. Thanks, jmsj

outdoorfan
09-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Glad to hear it. I did the same to mine to get the trigger right where I want it. Still some creep, but otherwise not too bad.

outdoorfan,
I have done a few trigger jobs on Rugers before but did not know that spring bending trick.
good link, http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html
I printed this off today and after work tried it out on a Biley SBH I'm working on. I had already dropped one leg on the trigger return spring, I think the method in the link works a little better.
Now just a little more creep to get out. Thanks, jmsj

JesterGrin_1
09-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Sorry help me understand this. How can using reduced springs help better than a pro doing a trigger job?

Now on my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley I did remove one side of the spring which did help a bunch but I am sure when I have funds in hand I will have work done on the trigger to slick it up some and remove the creep.

I also used some STP as 44Man talked about and it sure did slick things up. :) I like the stuff.

jmsj
09-10-2010, 09:20 AM
JesterGrin,
I think that spring work is just one part of a trigger job.
Everyone has a different opinion on what a good/resaonable trigger pull is and some folks can't afford or don't want the inconvienece of sending their guns to a gunsmith. People that do their own work have different levels of experience,skill and acess to tools. Changing or modifying springs is some thing most everyone can do, and is easily reversed if they doesn't work out.
jmsj

uncowboy
09-13-2010, 07:34 AM
The link to Cylindersmith's article has been up for several years and I have not yet had anyone say it didn't help out and make the gun more shootable.
If you have any mechanical abillity at all you can do your owne action job. NOW Not everyone has mechanical ability. I can't spell but I can stone an action and get it back together. Ruger action parts are for the most part inexpensive and used parts can be found easily. It is a great gun to try your hand at being a gunsmith. Just in shipping charges you could buy 3-4 complete actions to play with. Don't be intimitated.
In the begining of the link when talking about hammer engagement being cut in half , an easy way to do this is take a feeler gague set and measure the width or height of your engagement. Take one third of that measurement off the feeler gague and stone the part down till the feeler gague is at it's new level. Reasemble the gun and try it out. If It needs more go a little further but never exceed 1/2 of the origional measurement. This should be done AFTER the spring bend. Good luck. J.Michael

Changeling
09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
There has been some good advise here but I think I will get a professional here to do the work. I have never seen a spring changeover give a very good trigger there is more to it than that. So I'll just leave it to the guys who really know there business.
Thanks to all for there input.

swheeler
09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
There has been some good advise here but I think I will get a professional here to do the work. I have never seen a spring changeover give a very good trigger there is more to it than that. So I'll just leave it to the guys who really know there business.
Thanks to all for there input.

What you say is true, BUT there is a BIG-BIG difference between a 5-6 POUND trigger pull and a 28-30 OUNCE trigger pull on a revolver, and I would hardly call that "no change". YMMV

Char-Gar
09-25-2010, 11:57 AM
While a clean, light "icecicle" break with no overtravel is the optimum handgun or rifle trigger, not having the same is not the kiss of death to good shooting. A good shooter can adjust to some amount of pull greater than the desired 2.5 lbs, some creep and some overtravel.

When you own and shoot hundreds of fiearms over a lifetime, like I have, you just can't throw up your arms in frustation because the trigger pull is not optimum. Nor can you afford to gunsmith each trigger.

Somewhere many folks have picked up the notion they can't shoot a firearm well without an optimum trigger pull. I enjoy a finely tuned trigger as well as the next fellow, but the lack of one does not prevent me from enjoying shooting or shooting well.

fourarmed
09-29-2010, 11:54 AM
The lighter the return spring, the more you notice the grittiness of the creep. One old trick for smoothing out the creep is to dry fire the pistol while pushing forward hard on the hammer. Ten or twenty reps of this will sometimes make an amazing improvement. The trigger motion will still be there, but it will be smooth. Smooth motion you can get used to.