PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wession 59

Calamity Jake
09-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Picked one up today at a gun show $350(about 95-98%) out the door, anyone shoot cast in theres?
The 356242 a 120RN and a 358311 160RN are the only RN molds I have.
I have loaded for and shot severial 9MM's, but nothing with cast.
Any other thoughts on molds?

Thanks

9.3X62AL
09-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm using a #358242 (122 grains in Taracorp alloy) sized to .357" in my 9mm's currently. It shoots very well and feeds without a bobble.

My first 9mm cast boolit work was with a S&W M-459, and the S&W barrels are pretty lead-friendly, although usually a little larger than nominal .355". Size boolits to groove diameter--or better yet, to throat diameter. 9mm's are best treated just like a rifle caliber, due to their fast twists and relatively high operating pressures. Fairly hard alloy and fairly soft lubes are the ticket with this caliber.

If your Model 59 is an early one, it might not feed hollowpoints or some cast boolits very well. The RN designs will do all right, though. Also be aware that the 1st Generation S&W autopistols (of which your M-59 is a member) do not have positive locking firing pins unless re-fitted by the factory, and can conceivably discharge if dropped on their muzzle on a hard surface.

Calamity Jake
09-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Al, it is an early one (6 didget SR#) how hard is your Taracorp alloy? I cast rifle boolets in a mix of 75/25 WW/Lino, about 15bhn, that should be hard enough.
I will cast some 356242's in it and see how thay do.

Thanks

Char-Gar
09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I have had good luck in various 9mms (Luger, Browning, Walter P-38) with a 124 grain NEI plain base over 5.7/AA5. I size the bullets .357. Accuracy has been about the same as good ball ammo.

I have a good Smith 59. It is a reasonable accurate pistol and mine is 100% reliable with whatever ammo I put in it. It is agood solid Pistol.

I have not yet tried it with the above cast bullet load. I guess, I will have to do that very thing. I have some loaded up.

9.3X62AL
09-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Jake, your alloy is harder than Taracorp, which is 50% lino/pure lead, about Bhn 13 or so. No alloy concerns, for sure.

Dale53
09-04-2006, 02:14 AM
The Model 59 S&W Pistol has been on my black list for many years. A close friend, a Homicide Detective, on duty (plain clothes) was with a partner at a drive in restaurant in his car waiting on his lunch. A terrified young girl ran up to the car (knowing it was an "unmarked" police car) for help. Her married boy friend was threatening her with a butcher knife (in his car). My friend approached the car, the suspect got out brandishing the knife. The policeman drew his Model 59 and ordered the suspect to drop the knife. After some harsh words from the suspect he dropped his knife. The officer reholstered, and moved to cuff the suspect. The suspect fought with the officer, attempted to wrestle the officer's gun away. The officer struck the suspect in the forehead with the pistol. The pistol discharged and killed the suspect. The officer was a champion pistol shot and told me he did NOT have a finger on the trigger. Subsequent investigation (I observed) the pistol could be made to discharge at will by stiking a solid surface as the officer had done in self defense. The officer was officially cleared but had to go through a civil situation (as usual).

Our local police department was armed, all officers, with the Model 59 at the time. When the pistols were traded, later, several of them went into local use. I had a chance to check several of them out. All of the ones that I tried shot terrible. It was hard to keep them on the paper at 25 yards. I have never before or since seen a name brand auto that shot so badly with factory ammo as did those pistols.

YMMV

Dale53