PDA

View Full Version : Another M die fan is born

okksu
08-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm probably the last to get the word.....Just loaded some using my new Lyman M die for the first time last night. I have struggled for a while using the Lee Universal Expanding die--left inconsistent seating results in several different calibers which I didn't seem to be able to rectify---sometimes even though things seemed to be seated nice and tight somehow the business end would still up and slide down inside the case. With the M die, boolit seating is solid as can be, consistent depth and stays put. its really nice not to have to deconstruct an otherwise perfectly good cartridge just because the stupid boolit fell in the hole......

RobS
08-19-2010, 07:38 PM
It's nice to find something that makes reloading easier that is for sure. I've been using M-dies for a while now and they do make a difference in the ease of it all.

smoked turkey
08-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I have two. I use the 30 long for pretty much all of my 30 cal needs. I also have one for my 375 H&H. I need one for my 35 Rem/35 Whelen. I agree with those that gave the M die a positive report. I can load better ammo using them.

08-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I discovered them while in the throes of a .44 Special leading problem, now I have them for every caliber. I found that a long M die and three plugs will expand 5 different rifle cartridges. Talk about versatility.

08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Smoked turkey,
Seems I was typing as you were posting.

You should be able to buy a 35 plug and use it in your 30 long die. As stated above, I use one 30 long die and 3 plugs -- 26, 30 and 32 -- for 5 different rifle cartridges -- .30-30 WCF, .30-'06 Sprg., 6.5X55 Swede, 7.5X55 Swiss, and .303 British.

pmeisel
08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I sure like mine. Always had trouble before.

Doby45
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
OK, I am lookin at getting me a few M dies, but while looking at them it does not appear that it is also used as a powder through die. Is this correct? So if I am loading on my progressive I would need to use it in a station prior to my powder through.

Moonie
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Yea Doby45, thought about the same thing on my loadmaster. If you aren't using anything in the priming station you could use it there or you could use it in place of the boolit seater and have the boolit seater in the last station. This could make it difficult to place the boolit however.

I'll be trying this soon with the lee expander and let you know my experience with it.

Got a tactical shoot this weekend so I should have plenty of 5.56 to reload, with the bator mold I got in Monday.

Doby45
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
If it does not operate as a powder through. I would just use it in station 2 on my LoadMaster. So it would be

Station 1 : Deprime and size
Station 2 : Lyman M Die and prime
Station 3 : Powder charge with current powder through die, set to JUST active the Auto Disc
Station 4 : Boolit seat
Station 5 : Roll crimp

Where my normal setup is

Station 1 : Universal deprimer
Station 2 : Size and prime

The rest is the same.

Randy in Arizona
08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
A shop has a Junque Table of old scopes, rings, mounts, holsters, old reloading dies, etc.

I scored 2 Lyman M-2 dies with 30R spindles, an M-1 with a 45AP spindle & 45acp expander button, and a Lyman expander die with an unmarked spindle but long enough to expand 9mm Parabellum.
The two M-2 dies are chrome plated and the others are bare steel. I had to dig through the odd parts box, but ended up with 3 expander buttons and locking rings for them all. $8 for it all. :bigsmyl2:[smilie=p:
The bare steel was sorta rusty, but less than 10 minutes with a hand held wire brush and some LPS-3 and they look almost like new.

Doc Highwall
08-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Some of the bench rest shooters are starting to use an expander with out the upper step for jacketed bullets to make bullet grip more consistent.

smoked turkey
08-22-2010, 06:48 PM
462:
Thanks for that tip on using different expander plugs. I think I once knew that but had forgotten. Good to know I can use my 30 Long die to get where I want to go. It will save me enough that I can buy a few more plugs. That way I will need to buy the necessary molds/sizing dies etc to go with em. Good Plan!

08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Smoked turkey,
My pleasure.

Give Lyman a call. In the past, a lady named Nancy has been very helpful.

Here is an informative article, that I had forgotten about: http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_LymanMDies.htm

kbstenberg
08-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey 462. When i buy a new diameter plug do i just buy a new dia. plug or do i also have to buy a new stem besides?
This is just another example of our website helpfulness.
Kevin

smoked turkey
08-22-2010, 10:08 PM
462:
Thanks for the good info on M dies. I printed it off so I would have it for later reference. I believe Midway used to sell the extra stems. If not a call to Lyman will get what I need for sure.

08-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Kbstenberg,
All you need is the plug...it will thread onto your existing stem.

I use a small diameter lock washer to keep the plug from loosening, but another member mentioned using Teflon plumber's tape. Just don't use Loctite on a stem that will be used for more than one plug.

BillP
08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
In case someone needs to know...Lyman carbide pistol die sets have the M expander. Their powder through die also has the M expander and includes several calibers. If you want to drop powder and M expand at the same time this is the way to go.

daboone
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Is anyone making custom plugs?

Dale53
08-24-2010, 05:28 PM
In case someone needs to know...Lyman carbide pistol die sets have the M expander. Their powder through die also has the M expander and includes several calibers. If you want to drop powder and M expand at the same time this is the way to go.

However, the Lyman Powder through die IS not a powder measure activator. IT only works with a conventional powder measure.

I wished my Dillon's came with a Lyman "M" die expander. My good friend who made quite a few special tools for me has gone to that "Range in the Sky" or I would have him turn me up one that would work with the Dillon and the interchangeable Lyman heads from their "Powder through die".

Maybe that would be a fertile field from one of our Forum machinist friends.

Dale53

AZ-Stew
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
For those who haven't seen one, photo and description here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=977081&postcount=12

Be sure to click on the smaller photo so you can see the details in the larger photo.

Regards,

Stew

leadman
08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
I tried using the Lee Universal Expander on my 43 Mauser brass. Did not work worth a S***!

I did figure out that the plug from a Lee 45 ACP powder thru expander fit right in the UEbody and worked o.k.

I e-mailed Jimin Phx about making a caliber specific plug for the Lee UE and he said he should be able to make one. I'll go to his place later this week and get it figured out.
He probably can make them for a Lyman also if asked.

JIMinPHX
09-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Is anyone making custom plugs?

Like this?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93108

Doby45
09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Damn Jim, your a machinist, not a doctor! I still want one or two of em..

GP100man
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Well on another forum a member was havin inconsistent chrono reading ,LARGE swings with lead boolits .

I told em to stop using the FC crimp die & get a m die & roll crimp , He called BS on me & ignored my suggestion of help.

I`m not thin skinned , so my life went on !!!

I was raised on a farm so far back in the coastal plains of NC we had to order sunshine ahead of time so it would`nt spoil !!!

But I know what works & what don`t !!!!

I work open minded , the moment a mind closes it becomes stagnant grey matter.

Rant off .

Sorry fellers!!