PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Propellant?

riverwalker76
08-19-2010, 11:52 AM
What is your favorite and Go-To powder for Muzzleloader 209 powder?

I was thinking about trying some Blackhorn 209, but can't find it anywhere. I currently use Pyrodex RS with poor results.

Any suggestions? I'll be shooting lead Mini and REAL bullets.

Potsy
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't use 209 primers but Goex FF is pretty tough to beat.

rhbrink
08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Goex 2ff

Maven
08-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Graf's (Wano) FFg works well in all of my ML's, as does Graf's FFFg in all but my Knight inline. Btw, I never had any problems worth mentioning with Pyrodex RS in my caplock rifles. (It was often the only powder available in my neck of the woods.)

Swampman
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Pyrodex works fine in everything but flintlocks and is easy to get. I wouldn't buy FFg but FFFg works fine in any caliber. BH209 is the best if your gun can handle it. Many can't.

In my Savage I use smokeless and I can clean when I feel like it.

waksupi
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Pyrodex works fine in everything but flintlocks and is easy to get. I wouldn't buy FFg but FFFg works fine in any caliber. BH209 is the best if your gun can handle it. Many can't.

In my Savage I use smokeless and I can clean when I feel like it.

If you are only cleaning when you feel like it using Pyrodex, did you know it is much more corrosive than black powder?

Swampman
08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
You misread my post.

Shooter
08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I've been impressed by 777.

whitetailsniper
08-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Swiss blk. Powder works best to me,, second would be goex,then pyrdex.
I dont like 777 either do any of my guns. Id like to try the white hots

giz189
08-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Goex FF

Marvin S
08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Goex, Elephant, Swiss, in the 2F to 3F size with a touch of 4F on the side. The real stuff is the only powder that has not let me down when the gun has been loaded for a few days and the shot finally comes. In God and real Black powder you can trust.

Tom-ADC
08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Swiss 1.5 Fg & Goex FFg I don't shoot 209 primers though.

northmn
08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Swiss would be the premiere choice, I would think for an inline. It does give a little more oomph per grain than the other powders and burns fairly moist. Graf's, for me, so far, has been performing well. I do not see the same velocities per grain as GOEX as my batches are a little slower, but it seems to have a more maneageable fouling. I have used GOEX for many years and really cannot complain about it either. Swiss, if ordered and even with HazMat is spendy compared to the other powders but probably still cheaper than 777 or Buckhorn. 777 did impress me as being an improvement over Pyrodex when I used it in my percussions.

Northmn

cajun shooter
08-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Swiss for LR 45-70 Goex for any other shooting that involves hunting and SASS. No wanna be subs allowed in my guns. They are nothing more than smokeless powder blended so that they produce smoke. If you shoot a sub you are not shooting BP. As far as that I can't find the real stuff goes is hogwash. There are several black powder distributors in the US that will ship to your door. I drive 5 hours round trip for my BP. You have a firearm that was designed to shoot the real powder so why are you putting a fake in it.

northmn
08-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Swiss for LR 45-70 Goex for any other shooting that involves hunting and SASS. No wanna be subs allowed in my guns. They are nothing more than smokeless powder blended so that they produce smoke. If you shoot a sub you are not shooting BP. As far as that I can't find the real stuff goes is hogwash. There are several black powder distributors in the US that will ship to your door. I drive 5 hours round trip for my BP. You have a firearm that was designed to shoot the real powder so why are you putting a fake in it.

I find the logic in what you say very true when using a 45-70 BPC load. Either real BP or smokeless. I can understand the convienience of the subs, but can have BP mail ordered to my door at less cost than a sub. Most subs are starting to push $30 a pound except may Pyrodex which does not work in my guns. Actually as I shoot flintlocks, none of the subs are any good.

Northmn

Hanshi
08-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Black powder! Nothing else comes close.

frontier gander
08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Blackhorn209. Blows everything else out of the way

missionary5155
08-27-2010, 06:01 AM
Good morning
I have used 2F since my dad used 2F... It just works well. I do not remember all the brands of 2F that dad had ... But I use any 2F I can lay my hands on happily.
But I have to also write I have not had any failures with Pyrodex in my cappers. I do like it in my RUGER Old Army as it will really makes a bark with RB.
But I do grap my 2F horn far more than any other.

frontier gander
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
If you are only cleaning when you feel like it using Pyrodex, did you know it is much more corrosive than black powder?

Thats a huge myth. Pyrodex is no more corrosive than black powder. Both will rust your gun if uncleaned. It all depends on the humidity in your area and how/where it is stored.

waksupi
08-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Thats a huge myth. Pyrodex is no more corrosive than black powder. Both will rust your gun if uncleaned. It all depends on the humidity in your area and how/where it is stored.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "myth" stuff. Try it yourself. Polish a piece of carbon steel. Flash pyrodex and blackpowder on it, and watch what happens. You can also paint a stripe of bleach on it. The bleach and pyrodex will corrode at about the same rate, BP much slower.

frontier gander
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
heres an idea, go shoot both, clean them oil them and tell us which one rusts up faster.

northmn
08-28-2010, 11:35 AM
After a chemist more or less stated that the components in Pyrodex are more corrosive than in Black I pretty much believe him. Here is my take on Pyrodex. It was the first powder made available to people that could be bought off the shelf in sporting goods stores. It does not really work as well as BP in my caplock and is not worth a darn in a flintlock. If I have a need for using anything but BP I would use 777, which is better than Pyrodex in that it is definitely less corrosive and has more oomph, or possibly the Buckhorn 209 once I could get over the sticker shock. Those using Pyrodex often cite cost differences where they get it at bargain prices. One other point on phoney powders is that it has a shelf life, whcih may not bother someone that goes through a lot of powder, but may be a reason that the Pyrodex RS I tried was so bad. I did try Select with good results. BP does not have a shelf life, it will last indefinitely if stored where it is dry.

Northmn

roverboy
08-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I've used a little bit of everything. Goex 2F, Pyrodex 2F, Black Canyon, 777. I'm using 777 now and like it a lot. Pyrodex in my experience was ****. Goex was great and if not for 777 I'd still be using it.

idahoron
08-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I use Pyrodex P in my rifles. Ron

moptop
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I've used Goex fffg with out any complaints in my '58 revolver and it always worked great but have swicthed to using 777 fffg in it and also my .45 rifle. The main reason being is that I do not the fowling problems with it as I do using real BP. It burns cleaner and doesn't cake up on the cylinder pin. And when they say "clean-up with just plain water", they mean it. It is a breeze. By using a wool over the powder wad the bore stays cleaner as well. I now spend more time at range shooting it and less time fooling around with cleaning it trying to keep it operating smoothly.

Now I'm not wanting to upset any "purists" that solely use real BP. I understand why one might do so and I respect that. I just don't get as much time to shoot my '58 as I would like and 777 allows me more shooting and less cleaning with what little time I do have.

White Smoke
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
The correct answer is whatever works best in YOUR rifle. Some powders pattern great and others do not (in an individual rifle, NOT in general). I personally shoot Pyrodex RS for a couple of reasons. One, it's available just about anywhere and Two, it patterns well in my rifles. I have not tried Blackhorn 209 due to the cost and I doubt it will pattern better than RS. I get one ragged hole at 50 yards shooting 100 grains of RS pushing a Hornady 250-grain (.452) HP/XTP bullet with an HPH 3-Petal EZ sabot in my Omega. The corrosiveness of any powder is a mute point as I always clean my rifle after each shooting session.

Swampman
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Polish a piece of carbon steel. Flash pyrodex and blackpowder on it, and watch what happens.

I did and the Pyrodex was actually a little less corrosive. Black Powder residue mixed with mositure creates sulphuric acid. It's very corrosive.

If you clean them properly (and equally) there will be no rust.

flyingstick
09-10-2010, 12:39 AM
my favorite is Goex fff in my 40 & ff in my larger calibers. I only use the 777 pellets in my CVA Optima. I've only used Pyrodex one hunting season in my cap guns. Both shots were in really damp weather and both were hangfire's. Me and Pyrodex don't dance anymore. At the range it shoots fine but loaded all day? for game? it's the black for me since...