PDA

View Full Version : Do They Always Do that?

Beekeeper
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I have a RCBS JR press that I have had for 46 years.
Have used and abused for 46 years.
It came with no accessories (striped down model),purchased at a discount store.Used for forming 7 and 8 MM brass from milsurp 30-06
Yesterday while reloading I realized I used it more often than the other presses I have.
I contacted RCBS about buying a primer arm for it.
Got an e-mail from the pretty lady saying parts are still available and the primer arm had been sent "NO CHARGE".
I have never had any dealings with RCBS other than the press and the original forming dies..
All bought at the afore mentioned discount store

Are they always like this?

Jim

mousegun
08-18-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a RCBS JR press that I have had for 46 years.
Have used and abused for 46 years.
It came with no accessories (striped down model),purchased at a discount store.Used for forming 7 and 8 MM brass from milsurp 30-06
Yesterday while reloading I realized I used it more often than the other presses I have.
I contacted RCBS about buying a primer arm for it.
Got an e-mail from the pretty lady saying parts are still available and the primer arm had been sent "NO CHARGE".
I have never had any dealings with RCBS other than the press and the original forming dies..
All bought at the afore mentioned discount store

Are they always like this?

Jim
Apparently so. I had the shell holder spring on my 41 year old RCBS jr.'s ram go singing off into the garage somewhere. Called 'em at RCBS and the nice lady sent me a freebie. I couldn't even talk her into accepting the shipping charge.

1hole
08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
"Are they always like this?"

Pretty much. Except sometimes. ??? I mean, the nice Customer Service lady wouldn't even sell me a die body to replace a rusted one - she said I'd have to purchase a complete set at MSRP...and I didn't. Perhaps not for electric stuff; lead pots and digital gadgets, for that they usually have a one year warranty if I remember correctly.

That's good service but it ain't exactly "free", it's paid for in the original purchase price if you ever need it or not.

cheese1566
08-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Yep!
They sent me everything (except a Uniflow) to get a stripped down AmmoMaster 2 Progressive going, new pins for a Reloader Special 3, extra small spare parts for my AmmoMaster 2, a new ram & primer arm & handle cushion for a old Pacific C press, not to mention warranty stuff for a primer pocket uniformer that cracked, and primer pocket swager rods that bent.
I know that the lifetime warranty and these replacement parts are always factored in the buying prices, but I'll be going Green for a long time!

RobS
08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I've never had a problem with parts.............the RCBS Lube a matic has needed things from time to time and they have always come through.

08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I bought a used JR 3, called them and inquired about buying a spent primer catcher. The gentleman said he send one at no charge. I was amazed.

However, as 1hole said, it ain't free, unless you purchase only used equipment.

dogbert41
08-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Hmmm. I've long lost the cap for my 30 year old uniflow powder dispenser. And my RCBS single stage has long lost the primer part, though I still have the spent prier plastic catcher....

I guess I'll be giving them a call...

Az Rick
08-18-2010, 11:36 PM
They completely rebuilt my old 1010 scales a few years ago, cost shipping one way. I use rcbs
exclusively. I did burn a hole in my ingot mould and they wanted it back to look at, there's no question they would have sent me a new one, but I took it to work and welded it. Took about 10 seconds. I didn't want to pay to ship it. They are responsive and responsible. I'm happy with them,

Rick

Bret4207
08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
No, I inquired via email about some replacement o rings for my LAM sizer. I was sent a return email with the price. I inquired about a primer catcher for my press, same thing.

Maybe phone calls are the key?

Mk42gunner
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
No, I inquired via email about some replacement o rings for my LAM sizer. I was sent a return email with the price. I inquired about a primer catcher for my press, same thing.

Maybe phone calls are the key?

Could be Bret, I know I had read about your emailing them before I needed some parts. So I used the telephone. I recommend calling early in the work day, it took a few days of trying early in the morning to get someone on the line. One thing though, if you buy new parts at the same time, you will pay full retail and shipping on the new items.

Robert

Baron von Trollwhack
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
A RCBS Rep at the Charlotte NRA show in May dug into his tool box and gave me the little spring clip for the press ram that holds the shellholders in. And busy as *ell there too! They will get more of my business for that attitude.

BvT

Thin Man
08-19-2010, 08:47 AM
I have had several requests for RCBS parts over the years, and usually contact them by phone. Their response has always been the same. They ask my mail address, tell me the part(s) are on their way, and thanks for the call. They refuse to let me pay for these parts. Maybe they do calculate the cost of replacement parts into new sales prices. In my case they get their funds from my repeat business buying tools from a supplier who always has those "impossible to find and need it yesterday" repair and replacement parts that no one else can provide. Their customer service is superb, and runs a close second to Brownell's. A lot of other companies could improve their new retail sales by following these guys work ethic.

cheese1566
08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Oh by the way,

if they are backordered on a part or may not have it, they may ask if a used one will suffice. Some of my primer parts on the Ammomaster 2 were found in a parts bin as he told me. I couldn't tell the difference when they arrived! Just a little dusty!

jonk
08-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Ignoring my issues with their customer service on a repair of a digital scale (I wasn't mad that I had to pay for the repair, but rather that when it came back STILL broke they insisted on charging me AGAIN)..... yes it is normal; however I've gotten similar service from Lee and their products cost a fraction of the price. Personally I'd rather pay $25 for dies than $40 and know if I bust a $2 part I'll have to pay for it than have an iron clad warranty and a higher cost.

Hardcast416taylor
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Bret 4207. I called them about a month ago about leakage past the "O" ring seal on my LAM II. They just asked my address and I got a new "O" ring in less than a week.Robert

AZ-Stew
08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
At the 1995 NRA convention in Phoenix, I stopped by the RCBS booth to ask how to get a new plastic bar that holds the primer catcher onto my Rockchucker, as the original broke. The guy walked over to the display model Rockchucker in the booth and removed the primer catcher and the bar that held it and handed them to me. "How much do I owe you?", I asked. "Nothing", was the reply.

Can't complain.

Regards,

Stew

buck1
08-19-2010, 05:45 PM
RCBS and Dillon are awsome!

RP
08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Well I have to say they stand behind their stuff I never bought anything new from them but I got alot second hand cheap because it was broke or missing something. So I really got to thank them for how they make it right. Is that wrong maybe but thats how they do it.

1hole
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
"Personally I'd rather pay $25 for dies than $40 and know if I bust a $2 part I'll have to pay for it than have an iron clad warranty and a higher cost. "

Me too. Sometimes "saving money" on green parts is more costly than I want to pay for. ;)

GetBulletsandBrass
08-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I recently had a chat with a fellow gunner (older guy) who was just telling me the story about his 37 year old RCBS press that he needed some parts for. One phone call and they had the parts on the way to him in a few days. I hear this alot for most of the manufactures, but rarely ever hear of RCBS charging folks for parts like this.

EMC45
08-24-2010, 07:43 AM
YUP! Great Company!

Big Dave
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a couple of their old steel full length sizing dies that are pretty scored inside. I sent an Email inquirey about them and was told send them in and they will polish them for me no charge but one way shipping.

Eagles6
08-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Broke the primer arm on the JR 3. Called up and they sent me the arm with large and small primer cups free of charge.

Stevejet
08-26-2010, 12:57 AM
When a detail part broke in my RCBS Auto Prime, I called RCBS to order the part. They sent me an entire new and improved Auto Prime set....free! If you receive this type of service, at least write a short Thank You note to the business that reacts this way and perhaps a note to your favorite gun magazine praising the vendor for supporting you.

bertus
08-29-2010, 07:33 AM
I had the same experience with them,calling them is not an option for me because of time differences but 1 email was enough,and I make it a habit to thank them again if the parts arrive

BillP
08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
++1 for RCBS. They sent me a small pistol cylinder for an old Uniflow a couple weeks ago. Yrs back they sent a lid for another Uniflow and a primer catcher for a Rockchucker. I spend more for quality gear because it has no surprises and is typically better in one way or another than the cheapest brand. The fact that I can call and get free stuff is just frosting on the cake.

wiljen
08-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Dillon has actually sent me parts gratis that are listed in the catalog for $20 etc. In my experience, Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady have all been great.

awaveritt
08-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Bought a RCBS Little Dandy powder dispenser off Ebay and it came with a cracked plastice powder reservior. Called RCBS expecting to pay for a replacement. they sent me one free of charge, no questions asked. They're great.