PDA

View Full Version : Ruger .308 Varmint

stephen perry
08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Felix
Last night my gunsmith came by and dropped off his Ruger rifle he's selling me. The rifle was his Cast rifle he competed with in informal Cast Shoots back in the 1970's. He moth balled the gun in 1972 when he started NBRSA shooting. He left me a small box that included reloading dies RCBS Neck sizing die, FL sizing die, and and seating die and a Wilson seating die. Typical of what many would use for cast and jacketed loading back then. I have same dies in .222 and 30-06. Him being a smith he bedded with Devcon the action and front stock screw, the barrel is free floating. He swapped out the Ruger trigger for a Canjar set. He adjusted the primary trigger for a clean 1 lb let-off. The trigger is so nice that I probably will shoot it without setting it for the secondary trigger. I have 2 other Canjar sets that I do set.

As always I mounted a scope on it same day. Wanted to mount my Tasco 36 but didn't have the barrel clearance so I opted for my Weaver 36 first generation. The gun had the rings mounted so the mount went good. I tightened the base screws some. This will be my initial scope as I want to shoot 80 rounds of jacketed to give the gun a comparison of jacketed to Cast, probably give up after 50 and go to Cast. Like I said earlier I have 10 Ideal/Lyman 30 cal molds. The notables I have are 311 413, 311 466, 311 467, 311 291, 311 41, 311 284, 311 299. I will start with 311 41 mainly because my Arizona case scrounger who I trade with, did that last night I got 1000 cleaned 45acp, Casts that number and shoots it well in his 40x in .308.

I'll shoot the gun Friday at Lytle Creek Range, West End Gun Club, where I lately do all my 100 yd shooting. Later I will go to the other Lytle Creek to shoot some 200. Another good thing he gave me 2 boxes of Match prepared brass he used. Federal and Winchester brass nk turned and ready to load. I expect this gun will shoot as well as a factory gun is expected to shoot after a few modifications. It will be my 30 cal Cast gun that I always wanted.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

felix
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Sounds great, Stephen! Because your gun has a "stock" type barrel, there is no harm in thinking that there could be a cast load that will shoot tighter groups. This would because of the barrel vibe thing can be better met with a lower velocity using a softer jacket. Try to design the loads around the 300 fps boundaries, both condom and lead, and then do the fine tweaking at that mid-point. 1800, 2100, 2400 as mid-points. ... felix

stephen perry
08-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Appreciate your comments.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR