PDA

View Full Version : Wano quality?

Finn45
09-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Anyone familiar with Wano BP? What kind of quality it is over there? Dusty? Evenly grained? Shiny black or matte? Same looking from lot to lot? I have two different lots of it; similar cans from 1995 and 2000 and different older lot from 1991. This is for sale here packed by Vihtavuori. What bugs me is that Wano from 1995 an 2000 (same lot probably) is clearly different than from 1991. Wano from 1991 compares very close to Swiss 1½Fg in grain size, which is probably correct, but new lots seems to be finer, like FFF or something. Here's Wano FF from 2000, Swiss 1½Fg and old Wano FF; difference is even bigger when handled than can be seen from the pic:

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/bpsort2.jpg

Just curious.

Bad Ass Wallace
09-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Just to confuse the issue further, we have Wano "F" grade and Wano "P" grades at considerable price difference.
I have found the standard "F" grade suitable for hunting but stay with PP for my target loads where consistant velocity is required. You are correct, Wano grades seem to be getting smaller in grain size but I never seem to have any 2001 vintage lying around to compare:-D :-D

Buckshot
09-03-2006, 10:41 AM
..............Only thing I heard was several years ago with the World LRML shoot going on in S. Africa, several cans of Wano came up with bits and pieces of dead bug carcasses in the powder? I can guess of several ways that might have happened, and one instance of something like that shouldn't condem a product for life, but the shooters weren't very happy at the time :-).

I just haven't heard any dedicated BP shooters raving about it is all.

............Buckshot

4060MAY
09-03-2006, 12:02 PM
The first lots of Wano I had come in a whitish plastic bottle, wasn't worth much.
wasn't as good as Goex, around 1991. wouldn't work consistantly in my 40-60.
the newer lots of Wano are called Scheutzen and labled in F grades.
FF wasn't as accurate as the same load in Goex CTG, or FF grades, fouling was about the same.
I tried FFF Schuetzen in my 38-50 Remington, the Goex FFF shot better, the Schuetzen smoked a lot more, never figured this out. still have 3 pounds left, good enough for practice.
If you can get the Swiss powder there it seems to be close to the old BP everyrone talks about. most guys I shoot BPCR with wipe between shot using Swiss because of the harder and dryer fouling.

Finn45
09-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Yep, I can get Swiss and it seems to be my choice. I was just curious and couple of days ago I had a feeling that somebody is selling me bin bottom litter as a powder. Well, it says bang, so gotta get rid of it.

windwalker
09-04-2006, 06:12 AM
i shoot ppp wano here in west oz it is a lot beter than the fff wano i used to get,it is very consistant powder and gives good velosicity in my front loaders and my 45/70.
infact it burns very clean in the 45/70 when compressed.ive bin told the p stands for priemum and it is a lot better than the older fff.
bernie:-D

Four Fingers of Death
09-04-2006, 06:29 AM
maybe they cut the powder to meet the specs, that is make the various batches burn/flash or whatever at the same rate. Apparently this is what they do with factory loads between batches. Mick.