PDA

View Full Version : Spru plate RCBS question.

Changeling
08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I have a RCBS 45 LC mold that I bought last year on an awesome sale (still brand new). After reading many many posts here I see that a lot of molds have a compression washer under the sprue plate hold down bolt, however this mold just has a bolt.

When one opens the sprue plate there is definitely "drag", RCBS are iron molds.

Would it help the mold to put a compression washer under the hold down bolt and ease up on the down pressure of the bolt, or is this the way it should be on iron molds?

RobS
08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I put a wave washer on my RCBS molds and also replaced the cup style washers that are on the Lyman molds with a wave washer as well. I suppose the molds would be fine as is, but I like downward pressure of a wave washer vs the snug tightening of a bolt directly on the sprue plate.

Changeling
08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I put a wave washer on my RCBS molds and also replaced the cup style washers that are on the Lyman molds with a wave washer as well. I suppose the molds would be fine as is, but I like downward pressure of a wave washer vs the snug tightening of a bolt directly on the sprue plate.

Rob that is exactly what I'm talking about, thanks for the reply, what size wave washer do you use? I guess they can be bought at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Sorry about calling them the wrong thing. Compression/wave.

RobS
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I can't remember what the size right of hand, but I went to my local ACE and found what I needed. I would assume any hardware store that has nut and bolt bins would be able to hook you up.

Calamity Jake
08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
The RCBS spru plate is heavy enough that it does not need a spring washer, I like the plate to swing of its own weight, loosen the set screw then back off the plate screw 1/8-1/4 turn.

Changeling
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks to all for there input.

white eagle
08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
look under the bolt in the sprue plate there is a washer
and on the side (facing you) of the mold body there is a set screw designed to add resistance to the bolt to hold at a desired tightness :smile:

Changeling
08-21-2010, 01:06 PM
look under the bolt in the sprue plate there is a washer
and on the side (facing you) of the mold body there is a set screw designed to add resistance to the bolt to hold at a desired tightness :smile:

The set screw is there, but there is NO washer of any kind.

deltaenterprizes
08-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Call RCBS and they may send one free.

PineTreeGreen
10-31-2010, 07:47 PM
I had problems with a sprue plate on an RCBS mold. Called customer service and had a new plate in 4 days. NO charge.

bigboredad
10-31-2010, 09:47 PM
I call rcbs they are knowledgable nice nf get your stuff out quick