PDA

View Full Version : The BFR is still impressing me

tek4260
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2128.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2130.jpg

3 shots at 25 yards resting my forearms on the rail of the deck. This is the 400gr Lee over 26.0 gr of H-110 with a CCI 350. Surprisingly the recoil of the 475 is not bad at all. I would consider letting my wife shoot this one and her only other handgun experience is with her 22.

Now if it was only available in blued........

This is the previous shooting session. Actually this is the last 7 shots this revolver has fired out of 23 total.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1764.jpg

frankenfab
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
"Now if it was only available in blued........"

Well, it is, kinda.....you just have to pay more and wait a long time.:razz:

That is great shooting. The BFR's are wonderful, and the .475 is a great caliber.

For some reason (actually, I have my reasons, but...) I have forsaken the 500 S&W, and the .500 Linebaugh is my favorite caliber, with the .475 second.

I'm happy you're happy!

44man
08-17-2010, 08:39 AM
HEY, CUT THAT OUT! [smilie=w:You are starting to match my shooting and agreeing with my feelings for the BFR's.
Go shoot some deer with your gun and you will fall all over yourself and never quit smiling!

jackhandle
08-17-2010, 10:27 AM
hey, tek4260, nice shootin' and glad to see you guys enjoyin' the great BFR, I'm currently putting a .475 BFR together (cut tube to 4 5/8" and a bisley grip frame) trying to do something a little different with the stainless finish too (I too wish for blued). Have fun!!!!

Bass Ackward
08-17-2010, 11:41 AM
HEY, CUT THAT OUT! [smilie=w:You are starting to match my shooting and agreeing with my feelings for the BFR's.
Go shoot some deer with your gun and you will fall all over yourself and never quit smiling!

Open sights too. :grin:

44man
08-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Open sights too. :grin:
WHAT, WHAT, I can't see what you wrote! [smilie=l:

Changeling
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
TEK4260 do you have any "group" photos at 50 and 100yd with this revolver?

Who shortened the barrel, will the factory do that, what was the cost?

Would anyone happen to know if when buying a used one if the lifetime guarantee is transferable?

Changeling
08-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I got a little carried away with the questions, sorry. I contacted them (BFR) a couple weeks ago but never received a reply.

tek4260
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
It was shortened by Clements. I can't remember the cost, but $185 with him supplying the sight sounds right. This dosen't include shipping. I have not shot the revolver at anything past 25 yet. I was trying to get the sight right and deciding weather or not to shorten the front sight. Even though the rear sight looks high, it isn't far from bottoming out. I guess they cut the recess under it deep for the scope mount. I didn't see your unedited post, so I don't know who you contacted. :)

44man, I may get around to hunting with it this year. I still have to get some grips made, or have Harton modify the gripframe, and get a simply rugged holster made up for it. Besides, the Rugers are for hunting. I got this as a cheap test mule for the 475. Now I have to decide between a custom or a FA. Of course I am not taking anything away from the BFR because it will definitely shoot. :bigsmyl2:

felix
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Now I have to decide between a custom or a FA. Of course I am not taking anything away from the BFR because it will definitely shoot. :bigsmyl2:

You need a lever gun in 475. Have your custom guy do that. Your pistol is fine as is and you NEED NOT another. ... felix

tek4260
08-17-2010, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE= Your pistol is fine as is and you NEED NOT another. ... felix[/QUOTE]

Since when does need have anything to do with it ;-)

44man
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
You need a lever gun in 475. Have your custom guy do that. Your pistol is fine as is and you NEED NOT another. ... felix
A few shots and you will go back to the revolver so your shoulder can heal! [smilie=1:

Bass Ackward
08-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Now I have to decide between a custom or a FA. :bigsmyl2:

Regardless of your choice, I would announce to the world that it is to be a FA.

Then sit back and watch the fire works start all over again.

Beats reruns of Hee Haw.

tek4260
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Ya, but something more like a FA 97 in 45 Colt, 4 5/8 of course :)

felix
08-18-2010, 09:28 AM
You're so right, tek! Need has nothing to do with fun. ... felix

wildcatter
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
It was shortened by Clements. I can't remember the cost, but $185 with him supplying the sight sounds right. This dosen't include shipping. I have not shot the revolver at anything past 25 yet. I was trying to get the sight right and deciding weather or not to shorten the front sight. Even though the rear sight looks high, it isn't far from bottoming out. I guess they cut the recess under it deep for the scope mount. I didn't see your unedited post, so I don't know who you contacted. :)

44man, I may get around to hunting with it this year. I still have to get some grips made, or have Harton modify the gripframe, and get a simply rugged holster made up for it. Besides, the Rugers are for hunting. I got this as a cheap test mule for the 475. Now I have to decide between a custom or a FA. Of course I am not taking anything away from the BFR because it will definitely shoot. :bigsmyl2:

I would be happy with the performance from the BFR, just as tek2460, BUT! Ya need one of those in a freedom arms!! I love my 45 colt three screw blackhawk, BUT! that is why I have two FA 83 premiers, one, a 6" in colt and 454, the 7 1/2" is 454 only and will stay that way as it replaced my scoped 7 1/2" Super Redhawk in that length, there are others that may shoot nearly as well as mine do, but when all the other variables are considered, such as grip frame , barrel cylinder seal, feel and weight of action, and the fact that all other revolvers are measured to them, it's just something one needs to do if they have the funds!!

GO FOR IT tec2460, I have both FA's I own in 454, and one in 45 colt, but now even though I will never part with my three screw 4 5/8" blackhawk, I see the same barrel length commin in 4 5/8", just need to decide on the model?? 97 in colt only???? 83 would mean 454 and 45 colt!!! more money but same size and feel I am used to????? as you can tell, I am kinda partial to the 45, but I think if the linebagh would have been around erlier I would maybe be partial to it!

So go for it get the FA in a model 83 it will be the revolver all others are judged by!

Ed K
08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I've seen a number of customized BFRs I really have liked such as this 475:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/mvesk/HuntingtonBFR.jpg

44man
08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I've seen a number of customized BFRs I really have liked such as this 475:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/mvesk/HuntingtonBFR.jpg
You would show that! [smilie=p: If I stop eating for a few years I could save enough SS money to get one like that. :bigsmyl2:

Changeling
08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Face it Jim, you're just a BFR "Groupie", I know, you are for very good reasons, but you are definitely a BFR Groupie, I guess I should have thrown a .475 comment in there some where, but I'm laughing to darn hard.

Now you have me looking at them, .475 that is!

44man
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Face it Jim, you're just a BFR "Groupie", I know, you are for very good reasons, but you are definitely a BFR Groupie, I guess I should have thrown a .475 comment in there some where, but I'm laughing to darn hard.

Now you have me looking at them, .475 that is!
But just look what I am doing right now. I have a pile of venison back strap steaks ready to bread and fry and I am boiling my next batch of beer.
As great as that gun looks, life is still good.

MGySgt
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I have thought a few times to have my BFR 475 sent back to have the Octagon barrel installed.

It just shoots to danged good to mess with!

Changeling
08-19-2010, 04:10 PM
But just look what I am doing right now. I have a pile of venison back strap steaks ready to bread and fry and I am boiling my next batch of beer.
As great as that gun looks, life is still good.

Then on second thought, I could be wrong! Just about what time did you say those back strap steaks were going on the grill;-)

44man
08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Then on second thought, I could be wrong! Just about what time did you say those back strap steaks were going on the grill;-)
I would love to have you over. Most painful thing about the net, we live too far apart.

bigboredad
08-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd be happy just to have a shooting lesson and a chance to shoot your guns with your loads I'd even round up a pair of crocs to help me shoot.:redneck: The steaks and beer would just be a bonus. I must confess I to have been looking at the .475 in a different light:Fire:

Ed K
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I have thought a few times to have my BFR 475 sent back to have the Octagon barrel installed.

Take note that was a custom by Jack Huntington. Note the difference in the factory version:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/mvesk/OctagonBFR.jpg

44man
08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Jack does great work. Whitworth has a conversion from him and the barrel is fluted. It is just beautiful and between the flutes and the octagon shape, I would be hard pressed to decide so that would mean two guns to be happy.
Oh well, I will just keep shooting my plain Jane round barrel! :bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Jack does great work. Whitworth has a conversion from him and the barrel is fluted. It is just beautiful and between the flutes and the octagon shape, I would be hard pressed to decide so that would mean two guns to be happy.
Oh well, I will just keep shooting my plain Jane round barrel! :bigsmyl2:

Jim, I have four customs by Huntington.....:bigsmyl2:

44man
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Jim, I have four customs by Huntington.....:bigsmyl2:
I know but the flutes turn me on! ;-)

MGySgt
08-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Ed K - Sorry - but I don't like the round to octagon.

Changeling
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM

Thank God someone said it before me! I just don't like it either. Starts to remind me of the Ruger Super Red Hawk. From what I hear (RH) is an extremely accurate revolver, but it is about as Butt Ugly as ugly gets in my opinion. Just my opinion guys, I know some of you love it!:veryconfu
I guess beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Ed K
08-20-2010, 08:18 PM

That was my point in making the post. The first gun was Huntington's custom work. Then you mentioned getting the factory to do your octagon hence I posted a pic of MR's round to octagon - what you would be getting.

I don't like it as well either.

tek4260
08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Thank God someone said it before me! I just don't like it either. Starts to remind me of the Ruger Super Red Hawk. From what I hear (RH) is an extremely accurate revolver, but it is about as Butt Ugly as ugly gets in my opinion. Just my opinion guys, I know some of you love it!:veryconfu
I guess beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Hey I resemble that remark! They are ugly but they come in the short 475. That is about the only redeeming quality they have with me so far, but I haven't shot this one enough to have an opinion.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_1894.jpg

44man
08-21-2010, 09:00 AM
When I look at a SRH I see one of the most innovative lock work and dis-assembly designs ever thought of. That is a thing of beauty in itself.
Then I never met one that was not accurate. What some call ugly, I call a marvel of engineering.
I feel the same about the side plate on a S&W that fits to perfection and all the other guns that mate metal to metal and metal to wood.
It is hard for me to say ugly. :drinks:

Frank
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Looks like it's never been fired. I like that the pic shows cast bullets. And not the silly knife next to it. Why do they always put a knife next to a gun in a pic? [smilie=l:

MGySgt
08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
That was my point in making the post. The first gun was Huntington's custom work. Then you mentioned getting the factory to do your octagon hence I posted a pic of MR's round to octagon - what you would be getting.

I don't like it as well either.

IF I was to do it, I would be getting the straight octagon one . As it is my ony BFR and it shoots better than some of the so called gun writter's expert rifles, I am hesitent to do anything to it. If I was a younger man I would just order one straight from the factory with the Octagon in 6 in (or 5.5).

Changeling
08-22-2010, 03:05 PM
IF I was to do it, I would be getting the straight octagon one . As it is my ony BFR and it shoots better than some of the so called gun writter's expert rifles, I am hesitent to do anything to it. If I was a younger man I would just order one straight from the factory with the Octagon in 6 in (or 5.5).

Are you saying the factory has like a custom shop where you can order a BFR with different barrels and other custom features?

Whitworth if you are reading this can you post a picture of yours with the fluted barrel?

500bfrman
08-22-2010, 04:28 PM
http://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr_precision.asp

The have few different options you can order a bfr in or have yours sent in to be done.

tek4260
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Looks like it's never been fired. I like that the pic shows cast bullets. And not the silly knife next to it. Why do they always put a knife next to a gun in a pic? [smilie=l:

Well I bought it used and it came with lots of once fired brass. I have shot about 200 rounds through it as well. I just keep em clean :)

Whitworth
08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Are you saying the factory has like a custom shop where you can order a BFR with different barrels and other custom features?

Whitworth if you are reading this can you post a picture of yours with the fluted barrel?

The only revolver I have with a fluted barrel is the .500 Linebaugh SRH. Is that the one you want me to post pictures of?

The Precision Center guns by BFR can be ordered with any length barrel. My BFR has a 6.5-inch barrel.

44man
08-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I have a picture of the little beauty.

ole 5 hole group
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
That is one serious but “only a shooter could love” revolver. Put that revolver in a Wyoming Combination Holster and you surely could walk through the Valley of Death.

Changeling
08-23-2010, 05:44 PM
The only revolver I have with a fluted barrel is the .500 Linebaugh SRH. Is that the one you want me to post pictures of?

The Precision Center guns by BFR can be ordered with any length barrel. My BFR has a 6.5-inch barrel.

Sorry Whitworth, my mistake, I thought you had a fluted barrel BFR.

Ed K
08-27-2010, 10:57 AM

I will not likely octagon mine but I posted the Huntington custom to show that the right hands can make a BFR look pretty good. Why I'm really posting thought is to make myself clear that the factory octagon is the round-to-octagon that you mentioned not liking.

frank505
08-27-2010, 12:29 PM
My little 475 was built by John and Dustin Linebaugh. It happens to be a six shot and is my carry gun in the green hills. They asked if I wanted to try a six shooter knowing I am not going to load it like it is a five shot. Seems to work well, after 6000 rounds through it has not broke much. The Bowen rear sight and transfer bar gave up along the way, replaced both and it is still smacking things. My load is 22 grains of WC 820 (lot 47320) CCI 300 and a 405 Keith for just under 1200 fps. Barrel length is 4.875, also made some mods to the trigger guard so I can shoot it with a glove on. Will try to post a picture of her, not so pretty but that is not important to me.

500bfrman
08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Why I'm really posting thought is to make myself clear that the factory octagon is the round-to-octagon that you mentioned not liking.

Why do they do the round to octagon? anybody know?

MGySgt
08-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I will not likely octagon mine but I posted the Huntington custom to show that the right hands can make a BFR look pretty good. Why I'm really posting thought is to make myself clear that the factory octagon is the round-to-octagon that you mentioned not liking.

The catalog I received with mine showed a straight Octagon barrel. I can't even find it on their web site anymore.

Ed K
08-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Why do they do the round to octagon? anybody know?

I do not know whether it is true but have heard someone mention a jig for doing it on the gun so they don't have to sweat the details of getting the flats oriented properly when fitting the barrel. Doing it that way you cannot mill right up to the frame. Again, I heard this on the 'net so it is one possibility - not gospel.