PDA

View Full Version : returning the eaa witness 10mm for repair

mike in co
08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
we are gonna do a little discussion of eaa(european american arms).
for those that have seen the posts, i bought a new 10mm witness.( thru my dealer, from rsr tx and eaa). the distributor(rsr) was out of mags, so the dealer ordered direct from eaa, an additional three mags...4 total.
for the last two months we have tried a varity of bullet shapes due to the gun jamming. in the time i have owned the gun , not once has it completed the full volume of one mag...NEVER.

MY first call to eaa, i was told i would have to PAY TO HAVE MY NEW, UNDER WARRANTEE, GUN FIXED. that is i had to pay shipping both ways( on top of the shipping from rsr to my dealer).
to me this just seemed WRONG. so i played with the gun some more. the guys on the swaging forum reformed some bullets for me as the one designed i had never been able to get was a plain round nose. well that also failed. so i called eaa again, and suggested they should be paying the friehgt for warrantee work on a new gun.( last thursday 8/12)
thier answer , was that the guy that made that call was out and would not be back till monday(today8/16), and that he would call me on monday(today).

well its monday, and no call..they are closed

so so far they are not doing well on guns nor on customer service.

some history..i love cz guns, the old eaa witness guns were copies and the new are steroid versions...i still like the feel of the eaa guns, and the finish and fit has improved.i have an ealy 9mm witness, but a gun that does not work is an expensive poorly engineered hammer.

as i was typing this (3:45 mt time)...my phone rang one time and the caller hung up...guess who it was..yep eaa...return the call..they are closed.....
still batting zero on the customer service field.

will post as the saga continues.......

mike in co

mike in co
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
they guy did call on moday evening.

they refuse to pay shipping on the warrantee work.( yes that is what it says in thier warrantee..which one does not see till after buying the gun)

so step two will be to attempt to return the gun to rsr as a non-functioning gun. never done that so stay tuned

mike in co

frankenfab
08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
"they refuse to pay shipping on the warrantee work."

Yup, that is pretty bogus. I am in the same boat, just not nearly as bad. I have had a Witness Match 10mm for quite some time now, and the trigger fails to reset quite frequently. I didn't want to pay shipping, so I went over to Brian Enos forums, and got a couple suggestions on what to look at. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but it looks like I overlooked the fact that there are 2 trigger adjustment screws. I already had backed the overtravel way out. I will also be looking for burrs on the trigger bar and maybe getting a roller plunger.

Other than this minor problem, it is a fantastic gun. I love it, everybody that touches it loves it, it is beautiful, accurrate, and it has yet to fail to feed. Good luck, with your gun, Mike.

I hate that you sold all your discount 45 brass before I could get some. I still kick myself for not buying a bunch of the TZZ brass when Jeff Bartlett had it. I ordered a bunch for my FFL buddy, and didn't get any for myself.

warf73
08-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Mike I hope they will get your gun going.

I'm confused about having to go threw rsr? My EAA Bounty Hunter was sent back to them by me via UPS and they sent it back to me. I did pay for the shipping both ways but the gun was fixed for free.
I wouldn't tell them that you have been running reloads threw it, they will probly refuse to work on it period. That is what I was told on the phone by them so not sure if that still goes.

As for paying for the shipping I paid both way threw EAA, one way threw Tauras, one way threw Springfield Armory.

goste
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Mike..

Quick question, is your round nosediving, and smacking the feed ramp?
I had my worst, and best experience, with EAA customer service.

I had a full size ported witness , that cracked the barrel between the ports. Talked To a S.O.B. on the phone, and ended up buying a barrel off Ebay. I had bought the gun for a duty weapon, and It's the most accurate .45 I ever shot. After that, I don't really trust it, altho It has never failed to go bang, after I replaced the barrel.

Second was a Poly compact 9, that was stolen in 2005, I had only fired about 50 rds through it. Got it back early 2010, with out the Mag. didn't want to, but called Eaa, for a mag, since nobody seems to know what mag fit's what, in poly. Talked to the nicest,most helpful lady.

Was never able to get a mag to fit, or work in this pistol, and still use it as mag fed single shot, but the service was first rate......

I hope you get your issues worked out with Eaa. I have had 4 diff. Eaa's, and had issues with all of them. I wouldn't buy another, but it's weird, both of mine will shoot circles around any of my other pistol's....

jameslovesjammie
08-17-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd ask over at the Enos EAA/Tanfoglio forum. They may have an answer for you that doesn't involve shipping it in.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=202

About the only manufacturer I can think of that pays shipping both ways for warranty repair is S&W.

sqlbullet
08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Mike, I feel for ya. I hear plenty of folks who complain about EAA's customer service. I suspect it isn't the best.

But, the manual with the warranty can be downloaded from the site by anyone who wants to read it before purchase.

I hope you are able to get this resolved. I very much like both my Witness handguns, both in 10mm.

mike in co
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
yes my complaint is about having to PAY for warrantee work, as in having to pay shipping in bothdirections.
the dealer i bought it from contacted the distributor to see if some arm twisting can be applied.

i have not looked into what the problem is, only the symptom.....loaded round goes straight into bottom of feed ramp,,,and gun stops.

it must be the scot and maybe the german in me, but i just cannot see spending time nor money correcting a "NEW" product. sell me one that works, fix mine, or take it back.
holding my breath.....

ya dont send cars back to the factory for warrantee repiars............
mike in co

yarro
08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Kel-tec paid for shipping both ways on my P3AT slide that needed replaced and the gun was a lot less than one of those EAA 10mms.

-yarro

fatelk
08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I know a lot of folks love their Witness pistols, but I've had nothing but lemons. Over the last 15 years of so I've had three of them, and they all had minor issues to where I wouldn't trust them. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I won't buy another one.

Buckshot
08-22-2010, 03:47 AM
..............I'm not aware of anyplace that will pay inbound shipping costs for warrenty repairs, and that goes for DVD players, drill motors, coffeemakers, or firearms. I paid $1200 for a Uberti Highwall (from Cimarron) and the barrel was worthless. Wouldn't shoot cast OR jacketed, 2.125" or 2.08" cases. Cimarron was apologetic and had me send it to Indiana. That cost $42.

Six weeks later I got it back. Talked with the guy in Indiana, and he said yes the muzzle had been bad and said he fixed that. The bore had 5 'grabby' places in it and he said that checking it with a borescope showed the lands had some Wavy places, but the muzzle fix Should take care of it. I reloaded and refired the same 5 different cast loads (50 rounds/10 round groups) and the same 3 jacketed loads (30 rounds/10 round groups) and there was zero improvment.

This time Cimarron had me send it to a place in Texas AFTER they had gotten word that the place in Texas had actually recieved a NEW barrel. This took about 2 months. Before I sent the rifle I asked the owner of Cimarron if he would PLEASE confirm with the guy in Texas that he would confirm via bore scope, or whatever other means he had on hand that this barrel wouldn't be another ***. I was a bit peeved by this time and I made it abundantly clear I REALLY wasn't interested in enduring this BS again.

The shipping this time was $38 and I had the rifle back in about 3 weeks. I'm happy to report it shoots superbly now. You may be assured that I wouldn't buy a new Uberti ANYTHING on a bet. Maybe used if I could see it shoot, but not new.

Some retail stores have a 30, 60, or 90 day return policy for an item bought from them, and some have a similar but exchange only. However that's a store policy and probably something they've negotiated with the distributer or manufacturer. The DRO on my mill has a 3 year "No Questions Asked" replacement policy but guess what? I have to ship it back to them.

I'd ask the people at EAA what ammo they recommend to use in the pistol. And if you buy a box and it still doesn't function, what will their remedy be? They may still not cover rtn shipping to them. That is very uncommon.

mike in co

That's true, but you DO have to take it to a dealer, right? If it wouldn't start I'd suspect they'd send a wreaker after it, but an automobile might not be a good example. Look at the warranty card for anything you might have and see what it says. Dollars to donuts YOU have to send it someplace.

..............Buckshot

JSH
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
I picked up a Witnees 45acp match a couple of years ago. I did so after doing quite a bit of reading here on the subject. The thing shot excellent but was a s picky as to what it would feed as anything I ever had. I attibuted it to the double stack mags, just my thoughts.
What I saw on their web site and what I recieved was pretty good other than the *** rear adjustable sight. A match gun with a combat style adjustable sight............. I really suspect the sights got swapped at the dealers before I got it. It pretty much became a safe queen, then ran across a Kimber and swapped around and have not looked back.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have some 45ACP mags for a witness( tanfolgio marked) I would swap for some GOOD 1911 magazines. PM or email me.
jeff

Trey45
08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I bought a brand new Beretta Storm PX4 40SW variant G a couple years ago. The decock only lever return spring broke. I called Beretta, who gave me the address and instructions for shipping it back for repair. I had to pay for it to get there, they not only paid for return shipping to me, but included 2 high capacity magazines as compensation for my shipping costs to them for repair. I now own 3 Storm PX4's.

Mike I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with EAA, see if they'll send some magazines as compensation for your troubles and added expenses.

Buckshot, you just made up my mind for me about Uberti's, I was considering buying one, but not now, not ever. Having to pay not once, but twice for shipping it for repair? You're a lot more patient then I am.

mike in co
08-24-2010, 02:06 AM

mike in co

That's true, but you DO have to take it to a dealer, right? If it wouldn't start I'd suspect they'd send a wreaker after it, but an automobile might not be a good example. Look at the warranty card for anything you might have and see what it says. Dollars to donuts YOU have to send it someplace.

..............Buckshot

but most cars come with road side assistance.,,,,which means they will come pick up the car if it does not work

mike in co
08-24-2010, 02:11 AM
gentlemen,
the latest is the dealer called the distributor. the dist had his sales rep call the maker(eaa)....
so as of today , the maker is sending shipping documents to the dealer for the gun.......

only time will tell.

on a side note. i have talked to eaa on ammo choices, they beat around the bush for awile then finally said brand "a" 180's......not available.....

i have tired lots of ammo...all fail.

i just recieved some plus 10% mag springs so may try that prior to shipping back.

the saga continues.

mike in co

sqlbullet
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Mike, load em up a day or two before you head to the range. I have issues if I take an EAA mag that has set empty, load it and shoot it. But if I keep the springs comressed, they never fail me (except when I seat my 205 gr bullets too long).

mike in co
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
the mags are very coal dependent. the max for a 10mm is listed as 1.260. the drawing i have(quickload) shows that length with a round flat nose bullet. the problem with that length and eaa mags is that it plain dont work!
even an article in a gun rag complained that oem mags would not take 15 rounds...but never said why. it is an oal issue. the eaa mags and maybe the feed ramp just dont work with this oal and a full mag...unless one shortens the oal.
i have been using 1.240 and a lot less in a couple of intances.

next is to take some 180 gs and the new mag springs and see what happens.

did i ever mention that this gun with a 22 lb recoil spring still throws brass 35 feet!!!!

but i do like the 180 in 10mm.....

dang...the saga continues

mike in co

Groo
08-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Groo here
I had some run ins with EAA.. As much as you like the gun ,, sell it , buy a "block"
one built on a 1911 [I have two] or hold your nose and get in line for a New BrenTen..
Eaa' warrenty rep is in the dumper..

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-25-2010, 08:54 AM
When I bought my Ruger Alaskan this spring at Sportsman's Warehouse they told me that any problems with it to bring it in and they would send it back to Ruger on their dime! I believe there was either a 6 mo or a year time frame!

Back in 05 I bought a new Dodge Sprinter van, I had it towed in twice in 7 months for warrantee work! I did not pay a dime other than needing to rent another van for my business, and the extra gas used compared to my diesel . . . I sold that lemon at 7 months!

Mike I hope they come through for you!

They should be able to make a product that does not need a warrantee . . . if it is built right in the first place . . . I understand the 1 in 100000 that something might slip up, but to just pass out warrantees instead of a quality machine that has been inspected, is ridicules!

mike in co
08-25-2010, 10:06 PM
ok back from the range.
tested gun with new mag springs...plus 10% wolff.

no change.....

next will be to look at the extractor spring

mike in co

dualsport
08-26-2010, 01:30 AM
That sucks Mike. Sounds like a lot of aggravation you shouldn't have to have. Somebody needs to let Tanfoglio know what's going on, if they haven't. Maybe their QC is slipping with increased sales overwhelming their production. The older ones have great reputations, my TA90 9mm/.41AE is still going strong after 20+ years. Used to race with it. Never broke or caused problems.

sqlbullet
08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
That COL is really bullet shape dependent as well. Lee 175 gr SWC TL I can seat out to 1.265+ and they feed fine. But my Mountain Mold 205 gf WFN has issues at 1.260.

Next batch is going to be tested at 1.250.

I was really hoping the mag springs would help your issue.

mike in co
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
took one coil off the extractor spring...no help at all......

gonna put it back to stock and wait for the shipping papers.........

this gun is a ***
( how pissed am i ?? i will not even pick up the brass...most of which is new/once fired....and i paid cash for that brass.....really pissed)

mike in co

2wheelDuke
08-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd been thinking about a 10mm, and the Witness was looking good on paper, but this has got me considering one of those blocky plastic guns instead.

mike in co
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd been thinking about a 10mm, and the Witness was looking good on paper, but this has got me considering one of those blocky plastic guns instead.

no way...
no hammer
no mass
equals a lot of work to control with no second trigger pull on a loaded chamber...
gonna be a para 40 converted if this does not work out....

mike in co
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
sorta good news from my dealer. he talked to RSR , the distributor, and they talked eaa into sending out a call tag to pick the gun up from the dealer.

only one issue...its been two weeks and no one has seen the call tag.........

mike in co

mike in co
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
today a ups shiipping tag was fax'd to me. the dealer called once more(to eaa) and was told that they had sent out the label twice. i cannot fault eaa here, the store is under construction and is technically gonna move down two doors...who knows where the labels went.
the good news is the gun and all four mags are boxed and waiting for the brown truck to pick them up....

the saga continues......

mike in co

mike in co
10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
i called eaa last week to ensure the gun had got there, with hopes of an eta on its return.
not gonna happen...

have to leave a message........no calls answered in the shop....

no return call this week so i called sales....

yes the gun is there...no they will not say more......

the saga continues......

mike in co////owner of a eaa witness in 10mm lite( a 10mm gun that only shoots 40's...not 10's)

leftiye
10-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Mike, I welded some extra steel on to the bottom end of my feed ramp and did some shaping/cleanup, and filing and polishing, and made the ramp longer. Problem solved. You gotta watch the trigger thingie underneath the bottom of the ramp abutment and make sure to clear it (semicircular cutout filed). I called them for parts, and had no real problems.

2wheelDuke
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
no way...
no hammer
no mass
equals a lot of work to control with no second trigger pull on a loaded chamber...
gonna be a para 40 converted if this does not work out....

I do like hammers on my guns. I've fired plenty of .45 in a polymer framed H&K, but I'm not sure how the hotter 10mm would compare. I'm sure some mass in the frame would make it shoot nicer though.

The whole 2nd trigger pull on a loaded chamber isn't a deal breaker to me.

82nd airborne
10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;978084]..............I'm not aware of anyplace that will pay inbound shipping costs for warrenty repairs, and that goes for DVD players, drill motors, coffeemakers, or firearms. I paid $1200 for a Uberti Highwall (from Cimarron) and the barrel was worthless. Wouldn't shoot cast OR jacketed, 2.125" or 2.08" cases. Cimarron was apologetic and had me send it to Indiana. That cost $42.

I will, if it is a default in my workmanship or parts. Then again, I'm about as small time as you can get I guess, maybe thats why.

mike in co
10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
got a call this am from the repair section of eaa.
the gun needs a new slide.....
but no slides in stock in my color......
three month wait or accept a mismatched color...
( would you accept a blue hood on your brand new grey truck...cause the dealer only had blue in stock)

so will wait another three months and see what happens...

mike in co

HeavyMetal
10-11-2010, 11:40 PM
What "color" is your gun??

mike in co
10-12-2010, 01:56 AM
not blue, not silver but thier dark grey green....wonder finish

mike in co

mike in co
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
today i purchased a para p16 with two mags.......( it was on gun broker)

will order a couple of springs from wolff.

rent a reamer and will have a working ten before the eaa ever shows up.

if the eaa works when it comes back, i will have to decide what to do with it.

the p16 will get thinned at the top of the beaver tail to move my grip in a bit.

mike in co

HeavyMetal
10-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Ask EAA to do a refinish! Slide or frame thier choice!

Seems to me it is not your fault the gun doesn't work and needs a slide. If they don't have one in stock changing the finish is the next logical step in making a customer happy and the customer should not be charged or "stonewalled" for the convieunce of the manufacturer!

You now have the Para and do not need the EAA gun and, much more importantly, you are tired of messing with it for so long.

EAA has the gun now so:DEMAND A REFUND! while they have it and simply advise them you will refuse to recieve it should they attempt to send it back without permission!

You are now in the drivers seat! Be relentless in this case and watch how fast they snap to once they realize you are dead serious about getting your cash back!

I would not be a nice guy about this!

mike in co
10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
the problem is i like the way the gun fits my hand......

so as low on the quality scale as it maybe, if it will work i will most likely keep it.

i have shot a para that has the beavertail thinned...the only reason i bought one. i do not like how the stock ones fit in my hand.

will have to wait and see...i dont think i will have an issue selling it if i decide to do that.

mike in co

mike in co
10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
slightly of topic,,,but my para p16-40 showed up today.....

some how i think i'm gonna have a para 10 before i have working eea 10.....

mike in co

jeff423
10-21-2010, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;978084]..............I'm not aware of anyplace that will pay inbound shipping costs for warrenty repairs, and that goes for DVD players, drill motors, coffeemakers, or firearms. I paid $1200 for a Uberti Highwall (from Cimarron) and the barrel was worthless. Wouldn't shoot cast OR jacketed, 2.125" or 2.08" cases. Cimarron was apologetic and had me send it to Indiana. That cost $42.

I will, if it is a default in my workmanship or parts. Then again, I'm about as small time as you can get I guess, maybe thats why.

S&W paid shipping both ways on my revolver and I was not the original owner.

Jeff

mike in co
10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
and while we are talking...i'm looking to borrow/rent a 10mm auto reamer/////anyone have an idea.......yes i know where the commercial reamer reanters are...was hoping some on on here..

mike in co

bhn22
10-24-2010, 07:44 PM
The likelihood of finding a reamer that exactly matches your original chamber diameter is small. Add to this the fact that every Para barrel I've seen has been fitted poorly at the factory. I'd suggest buying a replacement barrel & fitting it yourself. Why risk a compound chamber cut on a barrel that will probably let you down anyway?

mike in co
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM
The likelihood of finding a reamer that exactly matches your original chamber diameter is small. Add to this the fact that every Para barrel I've seen has been fitted poorly at the factory. I'd suggest buying a replacement barrel & fitting it yourself. Why risk a compound chamber cut on a barrel that will probably let you down anyway?

well i have shot the gun as a 40 and it works well.inspite of your experiences, mine haqve been good with para.
i have had no issues recutting chambers with a reamer different than the original maker(maybe) when the chamber was a std caliber...30'06 308,223......

i expect none with this bbl also......

time will tell......

mike in co

mike in co
01-26-2011, 07:03 PM
called eaa again today, left a message, and will wait for a reply. its only a bit past the 3 month window i was quoted..

mike in co

got a call this am from the repair section of eaa.
the gun needs a new slide.....
but no slides in stock in my color......
three month wait or accept a mismatched color...
( would you accept a blue hood on your brand new grey truck...cause the dealer only had blue in stock)

so will wait another three months and see what happens...

mike in co

white eagle
01-26-2011, 07:39 PM
sorry to hear of the troubles with the gun and company
just refreshes my notion of not doing business with tha company

klcarroll
01-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I dunno Mike; …….You are far and away the most patient person I have ever encountered!

The one Unforgivable Sin that a “working” weapon can commit is failing to go “BANG” on demand. Even if EAA finally comes through on their promises, could you ever REALLY trust your life to it, in light of everything that has happened? (…You have to understand that with my Irish ancestry, I have a deep and abiding respect for “Murphy”!)

I used to have an old, "Plain Jane" Colt Commander in .45 ACP. It had been “Ramped and Polished” to the point where it would RELIABLY feed and chamber EMPTY brass.

……….THAT weapon I trusted!

Kent

ReloaderFred
01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
They were at the SHOT Show all last week. Did you talk to them there? That was your golden opportunity, since you said you were going to be there. Mr. Tanfoglio was also there, but he was busy when I stopped at the Tanfoglio booth.

Fred

bowfin
01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I own six EAA Witnesses, or more correctly Tanfoglio pistols.

Four are chambered for .41 action express, two are .38 super. I like them, thought the Witness Elite in .38 Super needs to stay away from ammunition with huge hollowpoints to feed reliably.

mike in co
01-27-2011, 02:37 AM
i own the older cz75 copies in 9 and 40...one of the reasons i bought this one...

i went by the booth but was busy with other stuff.........

i'm very paitient...since i got the para.........

mike in co

mike in co
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
the gun was returned today..that would be just over FIVE MONTHS.

THE ORIGINAL CLAIM THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO REPLACE THE SLIDE PROVED FALSE.

THEY REPLACED ALL FOUR MAGS...AND GAVE ME A FIFTH FOR THE HASSLE.

the repair tags some fitting was done to the bbl and the gun test fired......

suppose i will shoot it one day soon and get out a final report

mike in co

390ish
02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I have had best feeding with the Remington 180 golden saber.

mike in co
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
range time today
180's at about 1200 fps
they seent 5 new mags
three of the five had no stopages...two did.
one nose dive one semi stovepipe on a loaded round...
reshot those two mags...still had stopages.
will use them for practice i guess
remeber the gun does only have about 3-400 rds thru it at this point.
lfe should be bettter past 500.....
end of posts.....
mike in co

mike in co
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
slide cracked today. aprox 400 rounds
will ask for a 40 or a 45 as a replacement
i have no faith in the 10mm version of this gun

mike in co

songdog53
07-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Sounds like EAA isn't gun advertised or you have a lemon. I know your most patient man and i am afraid i would have lost my cool with them long ago. Wish you the best in your problems.

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
buddy bought some fancy 9mm target gun from them and it would run for **** with the mags supplied either. He complained to them and there answer was to buy aftermarket mags for it. Not the answer i would have accepted but he did and his is running fine with the new mags. At least for now. I told him id be a nervous puppy with a gun like that and a service dept with an attitude like that. Right up there with the fine service a guy gets from tarrus

Mavrick
07-02-2011, 01:16 AM
I got hold of a new poly-frame/metal-slide Witness in 10mm. It's been a pretty good gun. No FTFs, but it took a bit of work to get two spare mags. Finally got them though.
EAA couldn't seem to get them...Henning did.
I decided to get either a .40 gun (all metal) or a .40 barrel. I couldn't even contact EAA. I was really down on their service. I figured Tanfo would be getting a new distributor. I waited a little more than a year. The gun was in constant use.... being shot, not just carried.
Then...I tried again to get a .40 barrel. A week later, I was at the range with my new Tanfo barrel, and enjoying myself, pouring ammo downrange.
I'm very happy with the Witness, and am trying to get one of the competition models, prolly a "Stock II", thinking that it SHOULD be more accurate.
I've run about 5k through the 10mm, and 2k through the .40. The .40 feeds best at about 1.17" through the 10mm mag, and with a Lee 175gr TC. The max COAL with my barrel, is 1.20", and it goes through the magazine just fine, but I like a little more clearance, just in case.
I load it to around 1150fps, but I won't tell the load because of the longer COAL that I use. I don't want someone using those loads in a standard 1.09" round.
There's been some changes in EAA's service, and it's for the better.
Have fun,
Gene

Matthew 25
07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Dude....you need to take a trip to where ever those things are made and insert yours into someone's rectum. I'm glad you started this post, I know that I will never own an EAA. I like the way they feel, too. I shot one a couple times in my IPSC days 10 years ago. I'm glad I learned to love the 1911.
If you want 10mm power in an auto, why not look into the 460 Rowland?

44minimum
07-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I did a lot of reading about those and if I remember correctly, it seems like it takes the mags a while before they function OK. Might want to leave them loaded for a while and I also read about replacing one of the springs, don't remember which one. I had one of these but never fired it.

denul
07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
My experience has been very different with this company. I ordered a new EAA Witness in 10-mm with an interchangeable 38 super top, about 3 years ago. There was a defect with a magazine catch, as it was difficult to snap the magazine in place, and they also would fall out of the pistol.

I called the company in Florida, and I returned it for repairs; it was in my hands within 3 weeks and has functioned perfectly ever since. I have never had a misfire or misfeed using plated bullets, factory HPs, and most importantly, cast bullets from several group buys on this site.

In spite of my small to medium hands, the grip is arranged in such a way that a 15 round 10-mm or 18 round 38 super magazine do not interfere in any way with, and in fact, enhance shooting. For me, there is no comparison between the grip on this pistol and the Glock, and its magazine capacity is superior to all of the 1911 versions. Speaking of shooting, the function in 10-mm and 38 super has been superb. I used a 197 gr Lee GB from several years back that was meant to be a compromise for 38-40 and 10 mm users, and I believe that neither side was satisfied. That's a shame, because I got excellent results with this ugly bullet and its flat point in both of those calibers. I also have had very good luck with truncated cone versions, both from the 6 cavity factory Lee mold , and a light weight GB that we did here. Accuracy has been better than I can hold, and loads exceeding 1100 fps made of AC WW with a little added tin, lubed with LBT Blue, leave a clean bore. I am also ashamed to admit that I have not yet tried out my copy of Miha's 40 Cramer HP, but based on my experience with his other molds I am confident that it will shine as well.

Brian Pearce, in Handloader 253, pp 42-43, gives loads exceeding 1350 fps with 180 gr jacketed bullets and exceeding 1200 fps with 200 gr. Jacketed bullets. I do not feel the need to quite load to this level, but with 15 slightly less powerful rounds in the magazine, in a perfectly reliable, accurate automatic pistol, I feel that I am going about well armed.

NickSS
07-03-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a couple of Whinesses with no issues and a friend of mine has two also with no issues. I did buy a new Sig Mosquito 22 that was constantly having failure to eject/failure to feed issues. I called them and they said send it back and they would fix it. I did not want to pay the freight so I took it back to the dealer I bought it from. He had me write up what was wrong and I did and finished it with a statement that for a reputable manufacturer the pistol was a hugh disappointment and the worst handgun I ever bought. I came back in a week with a note saying that they had reamed to barrel and test fired. Now it works like it should.

mike in co
07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
gentlemen and ladies,
after some discussion with the eaa folks, the gun was returned last week. they recieved it on monday. we had asked the the upper be replaced with a 45 acp upper( common frames) and some swap on the 5 mags for 45acp mags. ideal situtation was a wonder finish upper, but we knew they only advertised blued finish .
today is thursday, and the gun is in my hands. blued 45acp upper(4.9" vs the original 4.5...good for the 45acp). it does not look bad at all.
they swapped out all 5 mags for 45 mags. they uppgraded the rear sight to a adjustable target , added ambi safety, and added wood grips.....all upgrades.
i think this is satisfactory...i would have perfered a working 10mm, but will just continue working on the para 40 conversion.
again i have other eaa's and not issues...its a shame this ended this way, but i'll survive.
mike in co

jameslovesjammie
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
At least you are happy in the end. That is all that matters. Almost a year of dealing with "customer service" would have driven me insane.