PDA

View Full Version : net weights?

tuckerdog
08-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Got my hands on some weights from an old casting net and was wondering r these lead or what they seem a little light for their size dont want to contaminate my pot also weights from minnow seine

10 ga
08-16-2010, 09:38 AM
I've seen all manner of stuff cast into net weights. If they are hard probably some kind of lead alloy or even straight Zinc. Check the hardness with some side cutters or pliers. If soft then probably straight Pb or close to it. If they are Zinc I'll trade some lead for them, I commercial fish and can use net weights any time, PM me if you want to trade. If they are lead just go ahead and smelt them. 10 ga

glicerin
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Were the weights designed to be crimped onto the net, if so, probably pure? lead(they turn dull grey to white with time). I have some weigh 6 oz.
Zinc is hard, and will crack when smashed with a hammer, showing glass like crystals. Babbit will also deform and crack(but no sharp crystals). Both zinc and high tin alloys will ring like a bell when hit(lead goes thud)

montana_charlie
08-16-2010, 09:19 PM
The everyday net weight is usually somewhat lighter than it's counterpart. But, I'm not even sure you can melt a gross weight (snort!).
CM

a.squibload
08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
The everyday net weight is usually somewhat lighter than it's counterpart. But, I'm not even sure you can melt a gross weight (snort!).
CM

:groner:

You do have a weigh with words...

montana_charlie
08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I had to weight quite a while for that reply, but I didn't go a-wheigh.
CM

a.squibload
08-21-2010, 05:05 AM
OMG!

(Does anybody say OMG anymore?)