PDA

View Full Version : Scope choice on 1895G

ghh3rd
08-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Yahoo! I told me wife that I would like to purchase a Marlin Lever gun and was going to sell a couple of other guns to do so. She said "you only live once and should be happy", so go for it! Best of all, she just came into a windfall, and said don't sell anything!

I've settled on the 45-70 1895G Guide gun, short and easy to carry around in the Florida brush, and as they say can be loaded Mild to Wild.

Now I'm thinking of scopes, perhaps a scout scope and thought of the Leupold ($300... hmmm start selling stuff again :-) But this scope is only 2.5x and doesn't have a very wide field of view.

I was also considering a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope (with a LR Duplex Recticle in case of a somewhat longer range opportunity). Any thoughts about this?

Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm Rifle Scope w/ FREE UPS
Reg $265 Sale $210
LR Duplex Reticle -----
Wide Duplex Reticle
Duplex Reticle
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-vari-x-i-2-7x33mm-rifle-scope-with-matte-black-finish-and-duplex-reticle.html

Actual Magnification: 2.5(2x) 6.5(7x)
Length (in): 10.8
Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1
Objective Length (in): 2.6
Objective Diameter (in): 1.6
Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.6
Tube Diameter: 1.0in
Weight: 10.5 oz. / 298 grams
Eye Relief (in): 4.2(2x) 3.7(7x)
Eye Relief (mm): 106(2x) 94(7x)
Obj. Lens Diameter: 1.3in / 33mm
Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 65
Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm): 165
FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 43.2(2x) 17.3(7x)
FOV @ 100 m (m): 14.4(2x) 5.8(7x)
Ring Spacing
Max. Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.2
Front Ring Space (in): 1.9
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.2

I figured I would want the choice of higher magnification for targets -- do you lose much brightness compared to a fixed magnification scope?

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy

Lloyd Smale
08-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Ive got 4 of the old varix2s and a new vx1 which is the same scope. I just spent the day yesterday sighting in a 300 mag with the 3x9vx1 and even though im a big leupold fan i just told my buddy no more vx1s for me. Dont get me wrong there good scopes but i just detest the friction ajustments on the vx1 and the old vari x2s. there just not precise. I think i burned up more money in ammo sighting the gun in then it would have cost to upgrade to a vx2 which now has click ajustments. Another option if you like leupolds is the new redfields. there made by leupold, are cheaper then a vx1 and have click ajustments on the turents.. Ive got two of them sitting here. A 2x7 and a 4x12. Both seem to be very clear. I havent mounted them yet on the guns there for but so far im impressed for the money. Only downside to them ive noticed so far is the ajustments are click but there a bit mushy and stiff. But i got the 2x7 from the buddys gunshop at cost which was just over a 100 bucks and its got multicoated optics and comes from leupold with the same warantee any of there scopes have. Suppose to have the same glass they put in the vix 1 Hard to beat that for the money. Dont know if its true but the buddy says that rumor in the industry is there selling them cheap to establish the redfield name again and there going to go up in price substantialy in the next year so if you want one get it while there cheap. Bottom line is it seems like a hell of a scope for a 100 bucks. Another midpriced newer scope in the safe im impressed with is a 3x9 3200 bushnell. It cost about what a vx1 or buckmaster does and has better glass in my opinion then either of them.

btroj
08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a vx3 1.75 - 6 on my 1895. Works very well, clear, and bright. Has been on their for enough heavy loads for me to know it isn't likely to fail due to recoil.
I did have to gomto the burr is signature rings with the offset inserts. With the leupold rings I ran out of vertical and it was still shooting inches low at 100. I had shims under the rings to make that work but it was a pain to set back up if I took the scope off.
Just be sure to go a bit longer on eye relief than you might think is right. I got bit by my scope once. Had a heavier load that I expected and got a little blood to shot for my stupidity.

Braf

2ndAmendmentNut
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
I just mounted a Leupold scout scope on my Marlin 336. This scope is perfect, fast and supper easy to use, lines up quicker then irons, also you can keep both eyes open. From now on all my brush guns will carry a Leupold scout, and thanks to Leupold’s QR rings (quick release) I only need one scope for multiple rifles! Either way in the end if you go with Leupold you will not be disappointed. Not all my rifles are scoped, but all my scopes are Leupold.

Doc Highwall
08-16-2010, 05:32 PM
I have a 1895 with the pistol grip that I cut down to a 16.6" barrel and I use it as a short range brush gun and I want field of view not magnification. What I mounted on mine is the Leupold LPS 1.5x6x42mm. My second choice would be the Leupold VX3 1.75x6x and being side eject you do not have to mount a scout scope that has a small field of view.

280Ackley
08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
I have an 1895G. I have had a Burris 1.5X in a scout mount as well as a Burris 4X in a double dovetail leupold mount. But I prefer the scout. I have a nice half moon on the bridge of my nose from taking an uphill shot without giving the eye position thing a lot of thought. One of these days I'll dig up and extra 350 for the leupold 2.5X. Right now it is sitting w/o optics, just an XS ghost ring. Have to say that given the ranges I use this rifle at, I don't feel handicapped with iron sights.

jh45gun
08-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Find a Compact 1.5 to 4.5 variable scope perfect for woods hunting with the 1.5 and the up to 4.5 x covers all the rest.

ghh3rd
08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
I have a nice half moon on the bridge of my nose from taking an uphill shot without giving the eye position thing a lot of thought.
Did you get em?!