PDA

View Full Version : New NOE Molds

Iowa Fox
08-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Several months ago I purchased three Noe molds so today I decided to take a little time and try two of them. One is a 311299 double cavity and the other is a double cavity 360-180 WFN hollow point. The 225-55gr will have to wait for another day.

I scrubbed both using a tooth brush with dawn in hot water and after drying I seasoned them on an aluminum plate on top of an electric hot plate. I cycled then four times to about 400 degrees.

Using WW the 311299 cast very nice, just gently opening the handles the boolits dropped right out. They measured exactly 311 and nice and round.

Then I tried the 360-180 with WW. The mold is a little slower casting with the hollow point pins as it wants to bind pretty easily. I did get some decent looking boolits but they are measuring 358. Most of the folks that got a mold in the same group as I all report the boolits dropping at a nice round 360. Does anyone that has this mold have any tips or pointers to share? Would scrubbing with dawn and starting over again be the next best step? Anyone else that has this mold have to play with it a bit to get it casting ok??

Thanks Guys

Wayne Smith
08-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Size I can't help you with. The binding is easily solved with Bull Plate Sprue Lube most of the time. Anything that moves or slides on the mold moves or slides more easily with Bull Plate.

primersp
08-16-2010, 08:45 AM
i have 3 the 2 others cast as it's annonced 432 for a 432-265 and 311 for a k31-180
i use the same alloy this is 358-359 ,i agree it's slow to cast and sometimes bind
i use a welder glove to close.
the size don't borrow ,i shoot on a revolver

GLL
08-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Iowa Fox:

As an experiment for the 360-180 to get good crisp fill-out:

Crank the alloy temp WAY up !

Add a bit of tin to the alloy !

Pressure cast with a ladle !

Cast as FAST as you possibly can without pausing to examine the bullets !

Cast at least fifty !

Post the results ! Photos required ! :) :)

Jerry

excess650
08-16-2010, 08:16 PM
That HP mold is a bit harder to cast with, but mine does cast nice bullets really close to .360". I pressure cast with a ladle and use mold release on the HP pins. Since my Lee 20# doesn't want to maintain more than 750*, I run it as hot as I can. Pressure casting with the ladle helps there....

Mal Paso
08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
That HP mold is a bit harder to cast with, but mine does cast nice bullets really close to .360". I pressure cast with a ladle and use mold release on the HP pins. Since my Lee 20# doesn't want to maintain more than 750*, I run it as hot as I can. Pressure casting with the ladle helps there....

The Lee Temp Control is the same as an electric range. At the high setting it should be on all the time. If it is check the voltage, moving to another circuit may help. If not you may need new control. It could be the heating element but not likely. Harbor Freight has meters for less than $10 that are surprisingly accurate.

ph4570
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, lube the HP pins, sprue plate and alignment pins. As far as size goes my 4 cav drops right at .360 with WW and some tin. Sounds like yours is undersized. If you are getting good fillout but still have .358 and you need .360 I suggest you look into returning it for a replacement.