PDA

View Full Version : Snagged one

Frank46
08-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Went to a show in Lafayette, Louisiana today. Got 4 knife sharpeners for the wife so she doesn't complain about not having sharp knives. And found a really nice Persian long rifle in 8mm mauser. Bore on this one is fantastic. Have it soaking in hoppe's right now. All matching parts and was only $500. Yeah I know the only part may be a little high but have only seen three Persians here in a long while. And the other two were priced way too high. Still has some grease in the mag well and under the wood. Should make a good cast boolit rifle. Frank

Buckshot
08-16-2010, 02:21 AM
.............Even when they were offered during the mid '-90's they were high for milsurps (comparatively) but their condition really warrented it. I had several good 'shooter' 8x57's so I didn't partake either.

...............Buckshot

Char-Gar
08-16-2010, 02:43 PM
I bought a mint unfired Persian 29/98 in 1994 for $198.00. Two years ago, I bought another fine barreled action for $180.00 and built it into a real nice sporter. These rifles were built by CZ/BRNO in 1929 and no over the counter sporting rifle of the day had better materials, machining, fit and finish.

Frank46
08-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks for responding. Had basically stripped it last night and did run a few hoppe's soaked patches and brushes through the bbl. This has to be one of the smoothest barrels I've ever seen. It literally gleams. Only thing is to figure out how to remove the sight ladder so I can get the handguard off for further cleaning. So if some one has a little trick up their sleeves I'm all hears. Frank

Wayne Smith
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Put the sight ladder up straight, loosen the handguard, turn it sideways, and slip it off. At least that's what I did with my old Turk.

Harter66
08-17-2010, 12:06 PM
My chec had a spring clip but other wise as Whyne said

Frank46
08-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the posts. What fascinates me is here we have a rifle that was made 1929 or so and is in beautiful shape wood, metal and of course the good part is the barrel. I've seen newer mil surps with really rotten wood, metal and just plain lousy bores. In looking over the bolt there are no machining marks. Frank

crabo
08-18-2010, 12:32 AM
It sounds like you got a nice gun that you wanted, at a price you could afford. Good deal.

Frank46
08-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Well pretty sure that the dealer knew what it was, but a check on the samco website showes the lower grades starting at $500. So yes I think I did very well. Still cleaning the copper out of the bbl. Cleaning up nicely. Frank