PDA

View Full Version : Lee pot adjusting?

bmblong
09-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Is it possible to adjust the bottom pour lever so that TOO much molten lead comes out? I have been having trouble with my Lee 44mag 2 cavity mold finning. I examined it and did'nt find anything stuck to the mold blocks. I'm also getting air pockets at the base of the bullet by the sprue plate. Will making the lead pour out of the pot slower maybe cure this?

robertbank
09-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I experienced that as well when I placed the spout on top of the mold when I poured. If you pour off the mold so the lead circulates into the mold I think you will find the finning will stop. Hope I described the method clearly. I hold the mold about 1/2" off the pouring spout.

Take Care

Bob

DLCTEX
09-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I too get fins and air pockets if held against the spout. Give it room to breathe and take the weight of the lead in the pot off the molten metal in the mold.

carpetman
09-03-2006, 01:30 AM
With .22 bullets if I hold the mold against the spout,the sprue is just a bb size or smaller speck that won't turn loose. If I hold the mold away from the spout I get a big enough sprue,but poor fill out. If I hold the mold against the spout and fill it up and then hold it away I get a heavy enough sprue that it lets loose. Usually just hold it against the spout and pick off the tiny sprue that doesnt turn loose.

robertbank
09-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Sounds to me like you have to wait until your mold gets hotter before expecting good results. You should not have to hold the mold tight to the spout to get good bullets.

Take Care

Bob

bmblong
09-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I will try moving the mold away from the spout some and adjusting the lever to make less lead come out.

I realized I posted this under the wrong thing. It should have been under casting equipment.

Thank you.

robertbank
09-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Bruce

Before you adjust the flow just try holding the mold back a bit from the spout. You get the flow to slow and you may run into other problems.

Take Care

Bob

John Boy
09-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I have been having trouble with my Lee 44mag 2 cavity mold finning... I'm also getting air pockets at the base of the bullet by the sprue plate.
Bruce, may want to check the vent lines on the mold. A dental pick cleans them out. A 5 second pour usually precludes the base air pockets. If not, drop the mold and pour some more melt in the sprue hole