PDA

View Full Version : New Guide Gun

crabo
08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Last summer I traded my 10/22 to my BIL and I took his guide gun. We agreed to swap back this summer. I did some work on his gun and worked up a good cast boolit load for him.

I knew I wanted my own, so I started looking on the net and found one at a good buy, 2 miles off our route home to D/FW from Grand Forks, ND.

The good thing is that I had already bought 2 molds, dies and 250 of Starline brass to work up the loads for his gun. Of course, with that investment it was a short hop to buying one myself.

I had wanted an SBL, but when it came right down to it, I thought the SS didn't quite look right for me. I bought the new GBL and even though I haven't shot it yet, I love the gun. THe blue is polished a little, but it is not brite and the black laminate stocks look good.

I am going to set it up with a XS mount and the XS sights, a WW trigger and a cheekpiece.

Snapping Twig
08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Sweet rifle!

If my eyes don't deceive me, that's an ABL, not a GBL.

The grey/black stocks were a specialty item for Action Arms.

Looks like you have one.

crabo
08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Nope, stamped GBL on the barrel.

Snapping Twig
08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm not an expert on such matters, but it's my understanding that the GBL action is used with the grey/black stocks.

The only difference is the stocks.

IMO, it looks fantastic with those stocks. :)

BTW, I also recently bought a GBL, mine is standard with brown stocks. I ordered an XS Lever rail/ghost ring sights system and have installed them. Worth it!

Mounted a 2x Leupold scout on it.

I couldn't see the buckhorns & bead (old eyes).

Marlin also has their $17 leather slings in stock.

Here it is before the mods.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P7300001.jpg

jmsj
08-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Nice looking guns guys.
I'm in the process of trying to sell some guns and gear to fund the purchase of one like Snapping Twig has.
Let me know how they shoot. jmsj

MGySgt
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I think the new guide guns are probably the best of the lot! I too would like one, but I find it hard to sell my original guide gun (porting and all) when it shoots sub MOA with different loads. Both cast and J's.

crabo
08-20-2010, 12:21 AM
You don't notice the porting if you are shooting at game, but when you are not.....it is loud.

I can't really tell any difference with or without the porting when shooting offhand, but I'm a pretty big guy.

MGySgt
08-20-2010, 12:56 PM
The porting does reduce felt recoil off the bench. Same load one in the 1895 GG and one in an older 1895 (made in the 60's) with a 22 in microgrove barrel. The longer/heavier one has more felt recoil than the GG.

You don't want to be on the side or in front of the GG when you touch one off. My outfitter in CO was infront and a little to the side on top of a ridge with dense timber between us when I shot one of my Elk in CO. Loudest dang thing he had heard up there.

MakeMineA10mm
08-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Does Marlin sell the big loops by themselves? I noticed they haven't put out a 444BL, but that's what I want, and I could just retrofit one, since they're the same action...

By the way, I like the looks of both of those rifles. Very nice guys!

45r
08-20-2010, 08:09 PM
You'll like the Marlin 45-70.My XLR shoots cast as good as any rifle I've shot.It puts my MM 405PB and BRP 420GC boolits into ragged hole groups.

crabo
08-20-2010, 10:44 PM
You know, I never really cared for lever guns, but then I bought a 39A to shoot smallbore cowboy silhouette, then I got an 1894 357 and then I borrowed BIL's guide gun, know full well that when I gave it back, I would buy my own.

I can't quite warm up to single action revolvers, so I guess I had best keep ignoring the Ruger Bisley 44 Special.

Bass Ackward
08-21-2010, 06:57 AM
You know, I never really cared for lever guns, but then I bought a 39A to shoot smallbore cowboy silhouette, then I got an 1894 357 and then I borrowed BIL's guide gun, know full well that when I gave it back, I would buy my own.

I can't quite warm up to single action revolvers, so I guess I had best keep ignoring the Ruger Bisley 44 Special.

Ahhhh, personal problem. Levers and no side arm. Kinda like pants and no shirt. Yea you can get by, but it ain't a pretty sight.

Where would Danel Boone have been without a dead animal on his head? Did he really need that tail? :grin:

And there is nothin special about a 44 Special. All it does is meet every expectation. :grin:

crabo
08-21-2010, 07:09 AM
And there is nothin special about a 44 Special. All it does is meet every expectation. :grin:

Gee, thanks

45r
08-21-2010, 12:09 PM
A model 97 would go good with that Marlin 357.F/A makes real good single actions that last forever.My S&W model 27 works real well also so I haven't got one.