PDA

View Full Version : looking to make op/os cards?

mckutzy
08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
hello all
I am new here, been looking for a wile but cant seem to find any info on cutting cards for 12ga. shotgun reloading. The blackpowder shotshell guys use these and same with the BP muzzle loaders, i understand alot of people buy the components but im looking to hear what other have done to speed things up.

My set up so far... a regular hole punch 5/8"dia cut, a piece of wood for backing and hammer/anvil.

Rockydog
08-15-2010, 09:31 PM
mckutzy, I use shotshell bases with all of the plastic, fiber base wads etc. removed. I drill a 1/16 hole in the base about half way between the primer hole and the case rim. I then put a 1 1/2' long stove bolt in the primer hole, inside to outside, and double nut it. I chuck the excess bolt in my drill press. I use a wood backer on the press table. Turn it on and cut wads out of card stock. I cut a couple, shut off the drill and using a small nail through the previously drilled hole I pop them out. I use a 20 ga. for 16 gauge roll crimp wads. Most of the time I just use old playing cards. Kind of neat to have the Jokers face etc. on your shotshell wads. I also use 45-70 cases to cut filler wads out of butcher trays and have even made one out of a 7mm mag for cutting .410 fillers out of butcher trays. I cut a window in the 7mm case with my dremel and filled the base with acraglass at a 45* angle to the edge of the window. As the 7 mag fills with wads it ejects them all over my bench top but I can cut a couple hundred in 5 minutes if I double stack the butcher trays. I just use my bench brush to "round them up". I don't know how long these will last or even be sharp enough to cut. I've done a couple hundred cards so far. RD

RayinNH
08-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Are they worth making? A quick look turned up BPI card wads at Midway in .070 and .125 thick for $8.89 for 500...Ray

Rockydog
08-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Probably not worth making, but, the making is sometimes worth it. In other words,sometimes figuring out a way to do something, doing it, and having it work is 9/10 of the value. I dare say that a big chunk of what is discussed on this site isn't fiscally justifiable. But it gets done and talked about ad infinitum. Rockydog

mckutzy
08-16-2010, 01:03 AM
cool.. i think ill try the "spinning hole knife" Idea. I think i will get another or just modify the punch i have to have a shank for holding on. very interesting. thanks guys

Wayne Smith
08-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Check out Buffaloarms.com. If they don't have it give them a call, they can probably find it. Track of the Wolf is another place to try.

DIRT Farmer
08-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Small hole saws fit some sizes, I had a 45 smouth bore that I wanted to shoot so I ground the teeth off a 1/2 hole saw and put the same in the drill press, same with the 28 ga. I used a 9/16. I have cut several thousand with them, but I also buy wads for them.
Just set a piece of soft wood grain side up on the drill press and have at it with a cereal box, the wads pop out the clean out hole in the side.